Geriatrics; Health Plan Implementation; Mental Health; Multiple Trauma; Stress Disorders, Post-Traumatic; Information Dissemination
Dr. Cook’s research interests falls within three domains: traumatic stress, geriatric mental health, and the dissemination and implementation of effective mental health services in the community. She has served as the principal investigator on four National Institute of Mental Health grants examining the implementation of evidence-based practices by front-line providers. The goal was to offer empirically-supported recommendations on how to overcome the barriers to achieving effective treatments in the community and to apply such protocols in large scale services effectiveness research. She has also served as principal investigator on grants from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality and the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute.
- Cook, J. M., & Simiola, V. (2017). Trauma and PTSD in older adults: Prevalence, course, concomitants and clinical considerations. Current Opinion in Psychology, 14, 1-4.
- Cook, J. M., Simiola, V., Hamblen, J., Bernardy, N., & Schnurr, P. P. (2016). The influence of patient readiness on implementation of evidence-based PTSD treatments in VA residential programs. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice and Policy.
- Smith, N. B., Cook, J. M., Pietrzak, R., Hoff, R., Harpaz-Rotem, I. (2016). Mental health treatment for older veterans recently diagnosed with PTSD. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 24, 201-212.
- Cook, J. M., Dinnen, S., Coyne, J. C., Thompson, R. R. T., Simiola, V., Ruzek, J. I., & Schnurr, P. P. (2015). Evaluation of an implementation framework: A national investigation of VA residential programs. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research, 42, 147-156.
- Cook, J.M., Dinnen, S., Thompson, R., Ruzek, J., Coyne, J., & Schnurr, P.P. (2015). A quantitative test of an implementation framework in 38 VA residential PTSD programs. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research, 42, 462-473.
- Cook, J.M., Thompson, R., & Schnurr, P. P. (2015). Perceived characteristics of intervention scale: Development and psychometric properties. Assessment, 22, 704-714.
- Cook, J. M., Dinnen, S., Thompson, R., Simiola, V., & Schnurr, P. P. (2014).Changes in implementation of two evidence-based psychotherapies for PTSD in VA residential treatment programs: a national investigation.
- Cook, J. M., Newman, E., & the New Haven Trauma Competency Work Group. (2014). A consensus statement on trauma mental health: The New Haven Competency Conference process and major findings. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice and Policy, 6, 300-307.
- Cook, J.M., Pilver, C., Dinnen, S., Schnurr, P.P., & Hoff, R. (2013). Prevalence of physical and sexual assault and mental health disorders in older women: Findings from a nationally representative sample. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 21, 877-886.
- Cook, J. M., O’Donnell, C., Dinnen, S. D. Coyne, J. C., Ruzek, J. I., & Schnurr, P. P. (2012). Measurement of a model of implementation for health care: Advancement toward a testable theory. Implementation Science, 3, 59-64.
- Cook, J. M., Dinnen, S., Rehman, O., Bufka, L., & Courtois, C. A. (2011). Responses of a sample of practicing psychologists to questions about clinical work with trauma and interest in specialized training. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice and Policy, 3, 253-257.
- Cook, J. M., Harb, G., Gehrman, P., Gamble, G., Cary, M., Forbes, D., & Ross, R. (2010). Imagery Rehearsal for posttraumatic nightmares in Vietnam veterans: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 23, 553-563.
- Cook, J. M., Schnurr, P., Biyanova, T., & Coyne, J. C. (2009). Apples don’t fall far from the trees: An internet survey of influences on psychotherapists’ adoption and sustained use of new therapies. Psychiatric Services, 60, 671-676.
- Cook, J. M., Biyanova, T., Masci, C., & Coyne, J. C. (2007). Older patient perspectives on long-term anxiolytic benzodiazepine use and discontinuation: A qualitative study. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 22, 1094-1100.
- Cook, J. M., Riggs, D. S., Thompson, R., Coyne, J. C., & Sheikh, J. (2004). Post-traumatic stress disorder and current relationship functioning of WWII ex-prisoners of war. Journal of Family Psychology, 18, 36-45.
- Cook, J. M., Pearson, J. L., Thompson, R., Black, B. S., & Rabins, P. V. (2002). Suicidality in older African-Americans: Findings from the EPOCH study. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 10, 437-446. .