Research & Publications
- Practice locations: York Street Campus, Orchard Street Campus, and West Haven VA
- Residency: Columbia University - New York Presbyterian
- Research Fellowship: Columbia University/Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Fellowship: Endourology, Smith Institute for Urology – Northwell Hospital
- Clinical interests: The endoscopic and percutaneous management of kidney stones (simple and complex), BPH, upper tract urothelial cancer, ureteral strictures, ureteropelvic junction (UPJ) obstruction. Kidney stone prevention through medical management and nutritional counseling.
Piruz Motamedinia, MD is a fellowship-trained endourologist specializing in the ureteroscopic and percutaneous management of urologic conditions. Dr. Motamedinia’s clinical interests include surgery for kidney stones of all sizes and complexity, enlarged prostates (BPH), strictures of the ureter, ureteropelvic junction (UPJ) obstruction, and the kidney sparing management of upper tract urothelial cancers. Dr. Motamedinia also specializes in the prevention of kidney stones through medical management and dietary modifications.
Through his residency and fellowship, Dr. Motamedinia had the privilege of training with world-renowned experts and pioneers of percutaneous surgery and ureteroscopy. With Dr. Motamedinia’s extensive training and experience, he is currently the only urologist in the region who performs percutaneous procedures without the aid of a radiologist. This provides his patients the convenience of treating their kidney stones under a single setting and anesthesia without the need for an additional, separate procedure by a radiologist.
After the removal of all kidney stones, Dr. Motamedinia continues to follow and work with his patients to prevent future stones from occurring through dietary modification and medical management if necessary.Dr. Motamedinia works with a multidisciplinary team of dedicated nephrologists and nutritionists focused on the prevention of kidney stones.
In addition to kidney stones, Dr. Motamedinia utilizes percutaneous and ureteroscopic techniques to treat strictures of the ureters, UPJ obstruction, and calyceal diverticula. Dr. Motamedinia also has a clinical interest in the kidney-sparing management of upper tract urothelial cancers, in collaboration with his medical and urologic oncology colleagues.
Dr. Motamedinia strongly believes in a patient focused approach emphasizing clear communication and respect. He strives to identify barriers that might prevent his patients from reaching their medical goals and seeks the necessary means to overcome them. Dr. Motamedinia’s scope of practice allows him to provided individualized care, tailored not only to the specific condition, but just as importantly, his patient’s preferences as well. This patient-centered belief is also carried by Dr. Motamedinia’s nurses and clinical support staff, ensuring an exceptional patient experience.
Dr. Motamedinia received his MD from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine with a research distinction in urologic oncology and molecular pathology. He completed his general surgery and urology residency at the Columbia University-New York Presbyterian Hospital in New York City. During his residency, he performed an additional year of research focusing on prostate and bladder cancer, and kidney stone disease. Dr. Motamedinia completed his fellowship in endourology and complex kidney stone disease treatment and prevention at the Smith Institute for Urology in Long Island with several experts in the field.
Dr. Motamedinia has published many papers on endourology and urologic oncology and has presented at multiple regional and national conferences. He has also authored several chapters guiding urologists in the cutting-edge practice of endourology. He is an active member of the American Urologic Association and the Endourological Society.
Education & Training
- Endourology FellowNorth Shore-Long Island Jewish, Smith Institute for Urology (2015)
- Urology ResidentColumbia University Medical Center (2014)
- General Surgery InternColumbia University Medical Center (2009)
- MDAlbert Einstein College of Medicine, Doctor of Medicine (2008)
- BSUniversity of California, Los Angeles, Physiological Science (2003)
Honors & Recognition
|Ferdinand C. Valentine Essay Finalist, Basic Science||AUA: New York Section||2012|
|Ferdinand C. Valentine Essay Finalist, Clinical Research||AUA: New York Section||2010|
|Einstein Research Scholarship||2006|