Child Abuse; Child Abuse, Sexual; Child Advocacy; Pediatrics; Stress, Physiological
My areas of research and scholarly work include identifying best practices to support medical providers in the recognition and reporting of child abuse, screening for psychosocial stressors in pediatric primary care settings, and the prevention of downstream negative consequences of adverse childhood experiences.
Specialized Terms: Child Maltreatment
Children's experiences of IPV: time for pediatricians to take action.
Asnes AG, Leventhal JM. Children's experiences of IPV: time for pediatricians to take action. JAMA Pediatrics 2013, 167:299-300.
Connecting the dots in childhood and adolescent trauma.
Asnes AG, Leventhal JM. Connecting the dots in childhood and adolescent trauma. Archives Of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine 2011, 165:87-9.
Children's disclosures of sexual abuse: learning from direct inquiry.
Schaeffer P, Leventhal JM, Asnes AG. Children's disclosures of sexual abuse: learning from direct inquiry. Child Abuse & Neglect 2011, 35:343-52.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Schaeffer P, Asnes AG: What Do Pediatricians Tell Parents About Bed-Sharing? Matern Child Health J. 2018 Jan. PMID: 28766090
- Leventhal JM, Asnes AG, Bechtel K: Prevention of Pediatric Abusive Head Trauma: Time to Rethink Interventions and Reframe Messages. JAMA Pediatr. 2017 Mar 1. PMID: 28135369
- Chaiyachati BH, Asnes AG, Moles RL, Schaeffer P, Leventhal JM: Gray cases of child abuse: Investigating factors associated with uncertainty. Child Abuse Negl. 2016 Jan; 2015 Nov 23. PMID: 26615776
- Hooft AM, Asnes AG, Livingston N, Deutsch S, Cahill L, Wood JN, Leventhal JM: The Accuracy of ICD Codes: Identifying Physical Abuse in 4 Children's Hospitals. Acad Pediatr. 2015 Jul-Aug. PMID: 26142071
- Duffy JY, Hughes M, Asnes AG, Leventhal JM: Child maltreatment and risk patterns among participants in a child abuse prevention program. Child Abuse Negl. 2015 Jun; 2014 Dec 4. PMID: 25484318
- Langhan ML, Riera A, Kurtz JC, Schaeffer P, Asnes AG: Implementation of newly adopted technology in acute care settings: a qualitative analysis of clinical staff. J Med Eng Technol. 2015 Jan; 2014 Nov 4. PMID: 25367721
- Langhan ML, Kurtz JC, Schaeffer P, Asnes AG, Riera A: Experiences with capnography in acute care settings: a mixed-methods analysis of clinical staff. J Crit Care. 2014 Dec; 2014 Jun 30. PMID: 25129575
- Leventhal JM, Asnes AG, Pavlovic L, Moles RL: Diagnosing abusive head trauma: the challenges faced by clinicians. Pediatr Radiol. 2014 Dec; 2014 Dec 14. PMID: 25501724
- Moles RL, Asnes AG: Has this child been abused? Exploring uncertainty in the diagnosis of maltreatment. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2014 Oct; 2014 Jul 19. PMID: 25242713
- Asnes AG, Leventhal JM: Improvement of child behavior is associated with resolution of intimate partner violence. J Pediatr. 2013 Jul. PMID: 23796344
- Hooft A, Ronda J, Schaeffer P, Asnes AG, Leventhal JM: Identification of physical abuse cases in hospitalized children: accuracy of International Classification of Diseases codes. J Pediatr. 2013 Jan; 2012 Jul 31. PMID: 22854329
- Leventhal JM, Martin KD, Asnes AG: Fractures and traumatic brain injuries: abuse versus accidents in a US database of hospitalized children. Pediatrics. 2010 Jul; 2010 Jun 7. PMID: 20530077
- Leventhal JM, Murphy JL, Asnes AG: Evaluations of child sexual abuse: recognition of overt and latent family concerns. Child Abuse Negl. 2010 May; 2010 Mar 26. PMID: 20347146
- Asnes AG, Leventhal JM: Managing child abuse: general principles. Pediatr Rev. 2010 Feb. PMID: 20124274
- Leventhal JM, Martin KD, Asnes AG: Incidence of fractures attributable to abuse in young hospitalized children: results from analysis of a United States database. Pediatrics. 2008 Sep. PMID: 18762531