Asthma; England; Pediatrics; Respiration Disorders; Respiratory Muscles
Our research interests have focused on trying to understand the role of respiratory muscle fatigue in the development of respiratory failure in children. In particular, studying sites along the neuromuscular axis that could potentially fail and lead to impaired performance of the respiratory muscles. Examples of these include phrenic neural activation, neuromuscular transmission and utilization of energy substrate by the muscle. We have determined that neuromuscular transmission failure plays an important in the development of muscle fatigue in the newborn diaphragm, and that this relates to impaired release of neurotransmitter from the nerve terminals. Because of the important role of calcium in neurotransmitter release, we are focusing on the differences between presynaptic calcium channels subtypes in newborn and mature neuromuscular junction.
A second research interest has been childhood asthma. We currently have 2 areas that are being developed in the laboratory. One is to try to understand the mechanisms underlying the development of chronic asthma in childhood, and in particular how airway inflammation might modulate airway smooth muscle function. We will be examining the effect of chronic exposure to several cytokines on ion channel activity in airway smooth muscle, and how this affects the contractile properties of the muscle. We are also interested in performing clinical studies to determine whether the increase in exhaled nitric oxide (NO) that is observed in children with asthma is secondary to increased production or decreased absorption of NO in the lungs. This has implications on understanding the pathogenesis of the inflammatory process in asthma.
Specialized Terms: Respiratory Muscle Fatigue in Children; Development of Chronic Asthma in Children; Pathogenesis of Inflammatory Process in Asthma
Longituindal Follow-Up of Elevated Pulmonary ARtery Pressures in Children with Sickle Cell Disease
Pashankar FD, Carbonella J, Bazzy-Assad A, Friedman A. Longituindal Follow-Up of Elevated Pulmonary ARtery Pressures in Children with Sickle Cell Disease. Br. J. Haematol, 2008. Dec 1. [Epub ahead of print]. Mar; 144(5):736-41, 2009.
Sleep-disordered breathing in children with metabolic syndrome: the role of leptin and sympathetic nervous system activity and the effect of continuous positive airway pressure
Nakra N, Bhargava S, Dzuira J, Caprio S, Bazzy-Asaad A. Sleep-disordered breathing in children with metabolic syndrome: the role of leptin and sympathetic nervous system activity and the effect of continuous positive airway pressure. Pediatrics. 2008 Sep;122(3):e634-42.
A role for macrophage migration inhibitory factor in the neonatal respiratory distress syndrome
Kevill KA, Bhandari V, Kettunen M, Leng L, Fan J, Mizue Y, Dzuira JD, Reyes-Mugica M, McDonald CL, Baugh JA, O'Connor CL, Aghai ZH, Donnelly SC, Bazzy-Asaad A, Bucala RJ. A role for macrophage migration inhibitory factor in the neonatal respiratory distress syndrome. J Immunol. 2008 Jan 1;180(1):601-8
Chronic hypoxia delays maturation of neuromuscular transmission in the diaphragm
Kass, L.J., Bazzy, A.R. Chronic hypoxia delays maturation of neuromuscular transmission in the diaphragm. J Appl Physiol 90:2325-2329, 2001.
Effect of inspiratory training on mitochondrial DNA and cytochrome c oxidase expression in the diaphragm
Akiyama Y, Garcia RE, Bazzy AR. Effect of inspiratory training on mitochondrial DNA and cytochrome c oxidase expression in the diaphragm. Am J Physiol, 271: L320-L325, 1996.
Failure to generate action potentials in newborn diaphragms following nerve stimulation
Bazzy, AR, Donnelly, DF, Failure to generate action potentials in newborn diaphragms following nerve stimulation, Brain Research, 600, 349-52, 1993
Official American Thoracic Society Clinical Practice Guidelines: Diagnostic Evaluation of Infants with Recurrent or Persistent Wheezing.
Ren CL, Esther CR Jr, Debley JS, Sockrider M, Yilmaz O, Amin N, Bazzy-Asaad A, Davis SD, Durand M, Ewig JM, Yuksel H, Lombardi E, Noah TL, Radford P, Ranganathan S, Teper A, Weinberger M, Brozek J, Wilson KC; ATS Ad Hoc Committee on Infants with Recurrent or Persistent Wheezing. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. Aug 1;194(3):356-73. doi: 10.1164/rccm.201604-0694ST.
Biochemical screening for pulmonary hypertension in preterm infants with bronchopulmonary dysplasia.
Montgomery AM, Asnes JD, Bizzarro MJ, Bazzy-Assad A, Ehrenkranz RA, Weismann CG. Neonatology. 109(3):190-4. doi: 10.1159/000442043. Epub 2016 Jan 19
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Levit OL, Shabanova V, Bazzy-Asaad A, Bizzarro MJ, Bhandari V: Risk factors for tracheostomy requirement in extremely low birth weight infants. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2018 Feb; 2017 Feb 21. PMID: 28139937
- Tolomeo CT, Major NE, Szondy MV, Bazzy-Asaad A: Standardizing Care and Parental Training to Improve Training Duration, Referral Frequency, and Length of Stay: Our Quality Improvement Project Experience. J Pediatr Nurs. 2017 Jan - Feb; 2016 Oct 27. PMID: 28341025
- Montgomery AM, Bazzy-Asaad A, Asnes JD, Bizzarro MJ, Ehrenkranz RA, Weismann CG: Biochemical Screening for Pulmonary Hypertension in Preterm Infants with Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia. Neonatology. 2016; 2016 Jan 19. PMID: 26780635
- Patel A, Weismann C, Weiss P, Russell K, Bazzy-Asaad A, Kadan-Lottick NS: Association between right ventricular dysfunction and restrictive lung disease in childhood cancer survivors as measured by quantitative echocardiography. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2014 Nov; 2014 Aug 17. PMID: 25130668
- Navas-Nazario A, Li FY, Shabanova V, Weiss P, Cole DE, Carpenter TO, Bazzy-Asaad A: Effect of vitamin D-binding protein genotype on the development of asthma in children. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2014 Jun; 2014 Apr 16. PMID: 24745702
- Szondy MV, Morton DE, Parrott HM, Bazzy-Asaad A, Tolomeo CT: Standardizing family education in a pediatric respiratory care unit. J Pediatr Nurs. 2014 May-Jun; 2014 Jan 11. PMID: 24486175
- Esquibies AE, Karihaloo A, Quaggin SE, Bazzy-Asaad A, Cantley LG: Heparin binding VEGF isoforms attenuate hyperoxic embryonic lung growth retardation via a FLK1-neuropilin-1-PKC dependent pathway. Respir Res. 2014 Mar 19; 2014 Mar 19. PMID: 24641672
- Ishak M, Zambrano EV, Bazzy-Asaad A, Esquibies AE: Unusual pulmonary findings in mucolipidosis II. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2012 Jul; 2011 Dec 7. PMID: 22162509
- Hsiao AL, Bazzy-Asaad A, Tolomeo C, Edmonds D, Belton B, Benin AL: Secure web messaging in a pediatric chronic care clinic: a slow takeoff of "kids' airmail". Pediatrics. 2011 Feb; 2011 Jan 10. PMID: 21220392
- Tolomeo C', Bazzy-Asaad A: Utilization of a second caregiver in the care of a child with a tracheostomy in the homecare setting. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2010 Jul. PMID: 20578067
- Esquibies AE, Zambrano E, Ziai J, Kesebir D, Touloukian RJ, Egan ME, Reyes-Múgica M, Bazzy-Asaad A: Pulmonary squamous cell carcinoma associated with repaired congenital tracheoesophageal fistula and esophageal atresia. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2010 Feb. PMID: 20054858
- Tolomeo C, Savrin C, Heinzer M, Bazzy-Asaad A: Predictors of asthma-related pediatric emergency department visits and hospitalizations. J Asthma. 2009 Oct. PMID: 19863288
- Shenoy A, Esquibies AE, Dunbar N, Dishop MK, Reyes-Mugica M, Langston C, Deladoëy J, Abu-Khudir R, Carpenter T, Bazzy-Asaad A: A novel presentation of diffuse lung disease caused by congenital hypothyroidism. J Pediatr. 2009 Oct. PMID: 19773006
- Pashankar FD, Carbonella J, Bazzy-Asaad A, Friedman A: Longitudinal follow up of elevated pulmonary artery pressures in children with sickle cell disease. Br J Haematol. 2009 Mar; 2008 Dec 1. PMID: 19055665
- Tolomeo C, Shiffman R, Bazzy-Asaad A: Electronic medical records in a sub-specialty practice: one asthma center's experience. J Asthma. 2008 Nov. PMID: 18972308
- Chao D, Bazzy-Asaad A, Balboni G, Salvadori S, Xia Y: Activation of DOR attenuates anoxic K+ derangement via inhibition of Na+ entry in mouse cortex. Cereb Cortex. 2008 Sep; 2008 Jan 17. PMID: 18203692
- Nakra N, Bhargava S, Dzuira J, Caprio S, Bazzy-Asaad A: Sleep-disordered breathing in children with metabolic syndrome: the role of leptin and sympathetic nervous system activity and the effect of continuous positive airway pressure. Pediatrics. 2008 Sep. PMID: 18762497
- Pashankar FD, Carbonella J, Bazzy-Asaad A, Friedman A: Prevalence and risk factors of elevated pulmonary artery pressures in children with sickle cell disease. Pediatrics. 2008 Apr. PMID: 18381543
- Kevill KA, Bhandari V, Kettunen M, Leng L, Fan J, Mizue Y, Dzuira JD, Reyes-Mugica M, McDonald CL, Baugh JA, O'Connor CL, Aghai ZH, Donnelly SC, Bazzy-Asaad A, Bucala RJ: A role for macrophage migration inhibitory factor in the neonatal respiratory distress syndrome. J Immunol. 2008 Jan 1. PMID: 18097062
- Esquibies AE, Bazzy-Asaad A, Ghassemi F, Nishio H, Karihaloo A, Cantley LG: VEGF attenuates hyperoxic injury through decreased apoptosis in explanted rat embryonic lung. Pediatr Res. 2008 Jan. PMID: 18043510
- Chao D, Bazzy-Asaad A, Balboni G, Xia Y: delta-, but not mu-, opioid receptor stabilizes K(+) homeostasis by reducing Ca(2+) influx in the cortex during acute hypoxia. J Cell Physiol. 2007 Jul. PMID: 17373650
- Hong SS, Qian H, Zhao P, Bazzy-Asaad A, Xia Y: Anisomycin protects cortical neurons from prolonged hypoxia with differential regulation of p38 and ERK. Brain Res. 2007 May 29; 2007 Mar 1. PMID: 17391655
- Chao D, Donnelly DF, Feng Y, Bazzy-Asaad A, Xia Y: Cortical delta-opioid receptors potentiate K+ homeostasis during anoxia and oxygen-glucose deprivation. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2007 Feb; 2006 Jun 14. PMID: 16773140