China; Malaysia; Opioid-Related Disorders; Psychiatry; Risk-Taking; Russia; Substance Abuse Detection; Amphetamine-Related Disorders
My research aims to improve efficacy, accessibility, and availability of treatments for substance use disorders and HIV risk reduction and prevention interventions in diverse settings and populations. My recent work focuses on the development of behavioral counseling programs that target high-risk individuals; addressing their limited understanding of substance use problems, substance use disorders, and effective treatment and recovery strategies, aimed at increasing their treatment engagement, helping them to transfer treatment-learned skills into real-life situations, and reducing their risks of HIV and other infectious diseases.
Specialized Terms: Substance Use Disorders; Opioids; Amphetamine Type Stimulants ; Risk Behaviors; Psychiatry; Psychology
Extensive Research Description
My primary research interest is in developing novel treatment interventions for patients with substance use disorders, in particular for individuals using opioids and/or amphetamine type stimulants. I am involved in multiple international research efforts to improve treatments of substance use disorders, with emphasis on culturally appropriate evidence-based treatments. My teaching and educational efforts are focused on training therapists, drug counselors, and other medical and non-medical personnel in providing behaviorally oriented psychosocial interventions for patients receiving medication assisted treatments, or other forms of pharmacological and drug-free treatments for opioid and/or amphetamine type simulant use disorders.
I am currently the principal investigator on two collaborative international studies:
A study entitled "Behavioral
Drug and HIV Risk Reduction Counseling with MMT in China" will provide critical data
regarding the efficacy for reducing drug-and sex-related HIV transmission risk
behaviors, as well as improving MMT outcomes and patient functioning of two
transportable counseling models, behavioral drug and HIV risk reduction
counseling (BDRC) and educational counseling (EC) as compared with the current
standard of care model in MMT in China. Supported by NIDA/NIH grant R01 DA026797.
A study entitled "Naltrexone and Behavioral Drug and HIV Risk
Reduction Counseling in Russia" will
examine the effects of combining behavioral therapy with naltrexone
pharmacotherapy for the treatment of opiate dependence and reduction of HIV
risks in opiate dependent individuals in St.
Petersburg, Russia. Supported by NIDA/NIH grant R01 DA 27405.
- Deng, Q., Tang, Q, Schottenfeld, R.S., Hao, W., Chawarski, M.C. (2012). Drug use in rural China: A preliminary investigation in Hunan Province. Addiction, 107, 610-613.
- Chawarski, M.C., Zhou, W., Schottenfeld, R.S. (2011). Behavioral drug and HIV risk reduction counseling (BDRC) in MMT programs in Wuhan, China: A pilot randomized clinical trial. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 115, 237–239.
- Vicknasingam, B., Mazlan, M., Schottenfeld, R.S., and Chawarski, M.C. (2010). Injection of Buprenorphine and Buprenorphine/Naloxone Tablets in Malaysia. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 111, 44-49.
- Chawarski, M.C., Mazlan, M., & Schottenfeld, R.S. (2008). Behavioral drug and HIV risk reduction counseling (BDRC) with abstinence-contingent take-home buprenorphine: A pilot randomized clinical trial. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 94, 281–284.
- Schottenfeld, R.S., Chawarski, M.C., & Mazlan, M. (2008). Maintenance treatment with buprenorphine and naltrexone for heroin dependence in Malaysia: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial. The Lancet, 371, 2192-2200.
- Fiellin, D.A., Moore, B.A., Sullivan, L.E., Becker, W.C., Pantalon, M.V., Chawarski, M.C., Barry, D.T., O'Connor, P.G., & Schottenfeld, R.S. (2008). Long-term treatment with buprenorphine/naloxone in primary care: Results at 2-5 years. Am J Addict. 2008 Mar-Apr;17(2):116-20. doi: 10.1080/10550490701860971.
- Chawarski, M.C., Fiellin, D.A., O’Connor, P.G., Bernard, M. & Schottenfeld, R.S. (2007). Utility of sweat patch testing for drug use monitoring in outpatient treatment for opiate dependence. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 33, 411-5.
- Chawarski, M.C., Mazlan, M., & Schottenfeld, R.S. (2006). Heroin dependence and HIV infection in Malaysia. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 82 (Suppl. 1), 39-42.
- Fiellin, D.A., Pantalon, M.V., Chawarski, M., Moore, B.A., Sullivan, L.E., O'Connor, P.G., & Schottenfeld, R. (2006). Counseling plus buprenorphine-naloxone maintenance therapy for opioid dependence. New England Journal of Medicine, 355(4): 365-374.
- Chawarski, M.C., Moody, D.E., Pakes, J., O’Connor, P.G., & Schottenfeld, R.S. (2005). Buprenorphine tablet versus liquid: A clinical trial comparing plasma levels, efficacy and symptoms. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 29, 307-312.
- Chawarski, M.C., Schottenfeld, R.S., O’Connor, P.G., & Pakes, J. (1999). Plasma concentration of buprenorphine at 24- to 72-hour intervals after the administration. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 55(1-2), 157-163.
- Chawarski, M.C., Pakes, J., & Schottenfeld, R.S. (1998). Assessment of HIV risk. Journal of Addictive Diseases, 17(4), p. 49-59, and in: E. Gottheil and B. Stimmel (Eds.) Effects of Substance Abuse Treatment on AIDS Risk Behaviors. The Haworth Press,
- D’Onofrio, G., Fiellin, D.A., Pantalon, M.V., Chawarski, M.C., Owens, P.H., Degutis, L.C., Busch, S.H., Bernstein, S.L., O’Connor, P.G. (2012). A brief intervention reduces hazardous and harmful drinking in emergency department patients. Annals of Emergency Medicine, 60, 181-92.
- Chawarski, M., Schottenfeld, R., Vicknasingam, B. (2013). Treatment for Drug Dependence in Asia. In: F. Rahman and N. Croft (Eds.) Drug Law Reform in East and Southeast Asia. Lexington Books, Plymouth, UK.
- Schottenfeld, R.S. Chawarski, M.C., Cubells, J.F., George, T.P., Lappalainen, J., Kosten, T.R. (2014). Randomized clinical trial of disulfiram for cocaine dependence or abuse during buprenorphine treatment. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 136, 36–42.
- Zhang, Y., Xu, Z., Zhang, S., Desrosiers, A., Schottenfeld, R.S., Chawarski, M.C. (2014). Profiles of psychiatric symptoms among amphetamine type stimulant and ketamine using inpatients in Wuhan, China. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 53, 99-102.
- Zhou W., Wang, X., Zhou, S., Xie, N., Liu, P., Luo, L., Peng, J., Liu, M., Desrosiers, A., Schottenfeld, R., Chawarski, M.C. (2015). Hepatitis C seroconversion in methadone maintenance treatment programs in Wuhan, China. Addiction, 110, 796-802.
- Yang, M., Liao, Y., Wang, Q., Chawarski, M.C., Hao, W. (2015). Profiles of psychiatric disorders among heroin dependent individuals in Changsha, China. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 149, 272-279.
- Metzger, D.S., Donnell, D., Celentano, D.D., Jackson, J.B., Shao, Y., Aramrattana, A., Wei, L., Fu., L., Ma, J., Lucas, G.M., Chawarski, M.C., Ruan, Y., Richardson, P., Shin, K., Chen, R.Y., Sugarman, J., Dye, B.J., Rose, S.M., Beauchamp, G., Burns, D.N. (2015). Expanding substance use treatment options for HIV prevention with Buprenorphine-Naloxone: HIV Prevention Trials Network 058 (HPTN 058). Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, 68, 554-61.
- D’Onofrio, G, O’Connor, P.G., Pantalon M.V., Chawarski, M.C., Busch, S.H., Owens, P.H., Bernstein, S.L., Fiellin, D.A. (2015). Emergency department-initiated buprenorphine/naloxone treatment for opioid dependence: A randomized clinical trial. JAMA, 313, 1636-1644.
- Vicknasingam, B., Dazali, M.N.M., Singh, D., Schottenfeld, R.S., Chawarski, M.C. (2015). Buprenorphine/naloxone treatment practices in Malaysia: Results of national surveys of physicians and patients. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 152, 164-169.
- Marienfeld, C.B., & Liu, P., Wang, X., Schottenfeld, R., Zhou W., Chawarski, M. (2015). Evaluation of an Implementation of Methadone Maintenance Treatment in China. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 157, 60-67.
- Marienfeld, C.B., Chawarski, M. (2016). Teaching psychosocial interventions for opioid use disorder in low and middle income countries: Malaysia and China. Academic Psychiatry, 40, 507-513.
- Mokri, A., Chawarski, M.C., Taherinakhost, H., Schottenfeld, R.S. (2016). Medical Treatments for Opioid Use Disorder in Iran: A randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled comparison of buprenorphine/naloxone and naltrexone maintenance treatment. Addiction, 111, 874-82.
- Wang, G., Zhang, Y, Zhang, S., Chen, H.J, Xu, H.J., Schottenfeld, R.S., Hao, W., Chawarski, M.C. (2016). Aripiprazole and risperidone for treatment of methamphetamine-associated psychosis in Chinese patients. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 62, 84-88.
- Desrosiers, A., Chooi, W.T., Zaharim, N.M., Ahmad, I, Mohd Yasin, M.A., Syed Jaapar, S.Z., Schottenfeld, R.S., Vicknasingam, B., Chawarski, M.C. (2016). Emerging drug use trends in Kelantan, Malaysia. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, 48(3), 218-26.