Genetics Student Executive Council
What is GSEC?
Mission/Goals of GSEC
The primary goal of the GSEC is to act as a point of contact between existing and new faculty working groups pertaining to student activities within the Department. To that end, the secondary goal of GSEC is to provide a graduate student perspective regarding the status of student training to enact meaningful change to support the growth of graduate students in the Department. The GSEC is an elected body composed of graduate student representatives from all years and sectors of the student population (i.e. underrepresented groups, international, and/or MD-PhD students). Elections occur in the Fall through a department-wide nomination followed by an elections process.
Initiatives by GSEC 2023-2024
- Increased community-building events to increase connection between graduate students of different years: Brunch & Banter, Summer BBQ, Kayaking in East Rock, Game Night, and Gryphon’s Pizza Party
- Developing a grant and fellowship resource for international students
- Worked with admin to list and send out grievance procedures
- Pre-town hall meetings instituted
- Developed a new House program for graduate students with DGSs