Dr. Erica S. Spatz, MD, MHS is a clinical investigator at the Center for Outcomes Research and Evaluation (CORE). She is an alumna of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Clinical Scholars Program and is rigorously trained in health services research, epidemiology, biostatistics, community-based participatory research, dissemination and implementation science, and mixed qualitative-quantitative research. Dr. Spatz is currently funded by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) K12 Career Development Award in Patient Centered Outcomes Research.
Her work aims to improve cardiovascular outcomes by: 1. increasing patient engagement in shared decision making; 2. advancing more precision-based approaches to diagnosis, risk prediction and treatment; and 3. working with the community to improve cardiovascular health and reduce health disparities. As examples of this work, she is funded by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) to develop a national quality measure of informed consent for elective procedures. Dr. Spatz is also grant-funded to investigate heterogeneity in diseases like hypertension and myocardial infarction, applying mixed methods and advanced analytics to identify diverse phenotypes; the goal is to develop a more nuanced understanding of these conditions and to advance more personalized approaches to diagnosis and management. Her work has appeared in JAMA, JAMA Cardiology, and Circulation. She is a co-founder and Board Member of Project-Access New Haven, and is currently active in developing an eConsult model between community health centers and specialty physicians.
Extensive Research Description
Expanding the safety-net of specialty care for the uninsured.
Spatz ES, Phipps MS, Wang OJ, Lagarde S, Curry L, Lucas G, Rosenthal MS. Health Services Research. February 2012. 47(1pt2): 344-362.
What Distinguishes Top-Performing Hospitals in Acute Myocardial Infarction Mortality Rates?
Curry LA, Spatz E, Cherlin E, Thompson JW, Berg D, Ting HH, Decker C, Krumholz HM, Bradley EH. Ann Intern Med. 2011;154:384-390.
- The New Era of Informed Consent: Getting to a Reasonable-Patient Standard through Shared Decision Making. Spatz ES, Krumholz HM, Moulton BW. JAMA. 2016;315(19):2063-2064. doi:10.1001/JAMA.2016.3070
The Variation in Recovery: Role of Gender on Outcomes of Young AMI Patients (VIRGO) Classification System: A Taxonomy for Young Women With Acute Myocardial Infarction.
Spatz ES, Curry LA, Masoudi, Zhou S, Strait KM, Gross CP, Curtis JP, Lansky AJ, Soares Barreto-Filho JA, Lampropulos JF, Bueno H, Chaudhry SI, D'Onofrio G, Safdar B, Dreyer RP, Murugiah K, Spertus JA, Krumholz HM.Circulation. 2015 Nov 3;132(18):1710-8.
- Trends and Disparities in Acute Myocardial Infarction by County Income, 1999-2013. Spatz ES, Beckman AL, Wang Y, Desai NR, Krumholz HM. JAMA Cardiology. 2016;1(3):255-265.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Feldman DI, Valero-Elizondo J, Salami JA, Rana JS, Ogunmoroti O, Osondu CU, Spatz ES, Virani SS, Blankstein R, Blaha MJ, Veledar E, Nasir K: Favorable cardiovascular risk factor profile is associated with lower healthcare expenditure and resource utilization among adults with diabetes mellitus free of established cardiovascular disease: 2012 Medical Expenditure Panel Survey (MEPS). Atherosclerosis. 2017 Mar; 2017 Feb 9. PMID: 28214425
- Dreyer RP, Sciria C, Spatz ES, Safdar B, D'Onofrio G, Krumholz HM: Young Women With Acute Myocardial Infarction: Current Perspectives. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2017 Feb; 2017 Feb 22. PMID: 28228455
- Lu Y, Zhou S, Dreyer RP, Caulfield M, Spatz ES, Geda M, Lorenze NP, Herbert P, D'Onofrio G, Jackson EA, Lichtman JH, Bueno H, Spertus JA, Krumholz HM: Sex differences in lipid profiles and treatment utilization among young adults with acute myocardial infarction: Results from the VIRGO study. Am Heart J. 2017 Jan; 2016 Oct 3. PMID: 27979045
- Lu Y, Zhou S, Dreyer RP, Spatz ES, Geda M, Lorenze NP, D'Onofrio G, Lichtman JH, Spertus JA, Ridker PM, Krumholz HM: Sex Differences in Inflammatory Markers and Health Status Among Young Adults With Acute Myocardial Infarction: Results From the VIRGO (Variation in Recovery: Role of Gender on Outcomes of Young Acute Myocardial Infarction Patients) Study. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2017 Feb; 2017 Feb 22. PMID: 28228461
- Salami JA, Warraich H, Valero-Elizondo J, Spatz ES, Desai NR, Rana JS, Virani SS, Blankstein R, Khera A, Blaha MJ, Blumenthal RS, Lloyd-Jones D, Nasir K: National Trends in Statin Use and Expenditures in the US Adult Population From 2002 to 2013: Insights From the Medical Expenditure Panel Survey. JAMA Cardiol. 2017 Jan 1. PMID: 27842171
- Turner JM, Spatz ES: Nutritional Supplements for the Treatment of Hypertension: A Practical Guide for Clinicians. Curr Cardiol Rep. 2016 Dec. PMID: 27796863
- Friedman DJ, Bao H, Spatz ES, Curtis JP, Daubert JP, Al-Khatib SM: Association Between a Prolonged PR Interval and Outcomes of Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy: A Report From the National Cardiovascular Data Registry. Circulation. 2016 Nov 22; 2016 Oct 19. PMID: 27760795
- Venkatesh AK, Mei H, E Kocher K, Granovsky M, Obermeyer Z, Spatz ES, Rothenberg C, Krumholz HM, Lin Z: Identification of Emergency Department Visits in Medicare Administrative Claims: Approaches and Implications. Acad Emerg Med. 2016 Nov 19; 2016 Nov 19. PMID: 27864915
- Beckman AL, Bucholz EM, Zhang W, Xu X, Dreyer RP, Strait KM, Spertus JA, Krumholz HM, Spatz ES: Sex Differences in Financial Barriers and the Relationship to Recovery After Acute Myocardial Infarction. J Am Heart Assoc. 2016 Oct 14; 2016 Oct 14. PMID: 27742618
- Lindau ST, Abramsohn E, Bueno H, D'Onofrio G, Lichtman JH, Lorenze NP, Sanghani RM, Spatz ES, Spertus JA, Strait KM, Wroblewski K, Zhou S, Krumholz HM: Sexual Activity and Function in the Year After an Acute Myocardial Infarction Among Younger Women and Men in the United States and Spain. JAMA Cardiol. 2016 Oct 1. PMID: 27579897
- Valero-Elizondo J, Salami JA, Osondu CU, Ogunmoroti O, Arrieta A, Spatz ES, Younus A, Rana JS, Virani SS, Blankstein R, Blaha MJ, Veledar E, Nasir K: Economic Impact of Moderate-Vigorous Physical Activity Among Those With and Without Established Cardiovascular Disease: 2012 Medical Expenditure Panel Survey. J Am Heart Assoc. 2016 Sep 7; 2016 Sep 7. PMID: 27604455
- Spatz ES, Krumholz HM, Moulton BW: Informed Consent and the Reasonable-Patient Standard-Reply. JAMA. 2016 Sep 6. PMID: 27599341
- Shahu A, Schwartz J, Perez M, Bernheim SM, Krumholz HM, Spatz ES: Discerning quality: an analysis of informed consent documents for common cardiovascular procedures. BMJ Qual Saf. 2016 Aug 18; 2016 Aug 18. PMID: 27538954
- Bucholz EM, Strait KM, Dreyer RP, Lindau ST, D'Onofrio G, Geda M, Spatz ES, Beltrame JF, Lichtman JH, Lorenze NP, Bueno H, Krumholz HM: Sex differences in young patients with acute myocardial infarction: A VIRGO study analysis. Eur Heart J Acute Cardiovasc Care. 2016 Aug 2; 2016 Aug 2. PMID: 27485141
- Echouffo-Tcheugui JB, Masoudi FA, Bao H, Spatz ES, Fonarow GC: Diabetes Mellitus and Outcomes of Cardiac Resynchronization With Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillator Therapy in Older Patients With Heart Failure. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2016 Aug. PMID: 27489243
- Spatz ES: Fostering a Culture to Support Surgical Outcome Measures. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2016 Jul; 2016 Jul 12. PMID: 27407056
- Post JM, Ali SS, Roberson LL, Aneni EC, Shaharyar S, Younus A, Jamal O, Ahmad R, Aziz MA, Malik R, Spatz ES, Feldman T, Fialkow J, Veledar E, Cury RC, Agatston AS, Nasir K: Rationale and design of the Baptist Employee Healthy Heart Study: a randomized trial assessing the efficacy of the addition of an interactive, personalized, web-based, lifestyle intervention tool to an existing health information web platform in a high-risk employee population. Trials. 2016 Jul 1; 2016 Jul 1. PMID: 27369488
- Spatz ES, Beckman AL, Wang Y, Desai NR, Krumholz HM: Geographic Variation in Trends and Disparities in Acute Myocardial Infarction Hospitalization and Mortality by Income Levels, 1999-2013. JAMA Cardiol. 2016 Jun 1. PMID: 27438103
- Spatz ES, Krumholz HM, Moulton BW: The New Era of Informed Consent: Getting to a Reasonable-Patient Standard Through Shared Decision Making. JAMA. 2016 May 17. PMID: 27099970
- Younus A, Aneni EC, Spatz ES, Osondu CU, Roberson L, Ogunmoroti O, Malik R, Ali SS, Aziz M, Feldman T, Virani SS, Maziak W, Agatston AS, Veledar E, Nasir K: A Systematic Review of the Prevalence and Outcomes of Ideal Cardiovascular Health in US and Non-US Populations. Mayo Clin Proc. 2016 May; 2016 Mar 31. PMID: 27040086
- Spatz ES, Lipska KJ, Dai Y, Bao H, Lin Z, Parzynski CS, Altaf FK, Joyce EK, Montague JA, Ross JS, Bernheim SM, Krumholz HM, Drye EE: Risk-standardized Acute Admission Rates Among Patients With Diabetes and Heart Failure as a Measure of Quality of Accountable Care Organizations: Rationale, Methods, and Early Results. Med Care. 2016 May. PMID: 26918404
- Ogunmoroti O, Utuama O, Spatz ES, Rouseff M, Parris D, Das S, Younus A, Guzman H, Tran T, Agatston A, Feldman T, Virani SS, Maziak W, Veledar E, Nasir K: Trends in Ideal Cardiovascular Health Metrics Among Employees of a Large Healthcare Organization (from the Baptist Health South Florida Employee Study). Am J Cardiol. 2016 Mar 1; 2015 Dec 13. PMID: 26754123
- Valero-Elizondo J, Salami JA, Ogunmoroti O, Osondu CU, Aneni EC, Malik R, Spatz ES, Rana JS, Virani SS, Blankstein R, Blaha MJ, Veledar E, Nasir K: Favorable Cardiovascular Risk Profile Is Associated With Lower Healthcare Costs and Resource Utilization: The 2012 Medical Expenditure Panel Survey. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2016 Mar; 2016 Mar 3. PMID: 26941417
- Murugiah K, Wang Y, Desai NR, Spatz ES, Nuti SV, Dreyer RP, Krumholz HM: Trends in Short- and Long-Term Outcomes for Takotsubo Cardiomyopathy Among Medicare Fee-for-Service Beneficiaries, 2007 to 2012. JACC Heart Fail. 2016 Mar; 2015 Dec 30. PMID: 26746377
- Du X, Spatz ES, Dreyer RP, Hu S, Wu C, Li X, Li J, Wang S, Masoudi FA, Spertus JA, Nasir K, Krumholz HM, Jiang L, China PEACE Collaborative Group.: Sex Differences in Clinical Profiles and Quality of Care Among Patients With ST-Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction From 2001 to 2011: Insights From the China Patient-Centered Evaluative Assessment of Cardiac Events (PEACE)-Retrospective Study. J Am Heart Assoc. 2016 Feb 22; 2016 Feb 22. PMID: 26903002
- Green AR, Leff B, Wang Y, Spatz ES, Masoudi FA, Peterson PN, Daugherty SL, Matlock DD: Geriatric Conditions in Patients Undergoing Defibrillator Implantation for Prevention of Sudden Cardiac Death: Prevalence and Impact on Mortality. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2016 Jan; 2015 Dec 29. PMID: 26715650
- Lewis Hunter AE, Spatz ES, Bernstein SL, Rosenthal MS: Factors Influencing Hospital Admission of Non-critically Ill Patients Presenting to the Emergency Department: a Cross-sectional Study. J Gen Intern Med. 2016 Jan; 2015 Jun 18. PMID: 26084975
- Chen SI, Wang Y, Dreyer R, Strait KM, Spatz ES, Xu X, Smolderen KG, Desai NR, Lorenze NP, Lichtman JH, Spertus JA, D'Onofrio G, Bueno H, Masoudi FA, Krumholz HM: Insurance and Prehospital Delay in Patients ≤55 Years With Acute Myocardial Infarction. Am J Cardiol. 2015 Dec 15; 2015 Oct 9. PMID: 26541907
- Friedman DJ, Singh JP, Curtis JP, Tang WH, Bao H, Spatz ES, Hernandez AF, Patel UD, Al-Khatib SM: Comparative Effectiveness of CRT-D Versus Defibrillator Alone in HF Patients With Moderate-to-Severe Chronic Kidney Disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015 Dec 15. PMID: 26670062
- Spatz ES, Jiang X, Lu J, Masoudi FA, Spertus JA, Wang Y, Li X, Downing NS, Nasir K, Du X, Li J, Krumholz HM, Liu X, Jiang L: Qingdao Port Cardiovascular Health Study: a prospective cohort study. BMJ Open. 2015 Dec 9; 2015 Dec 9. PMID: 26656011
- Spatz ES, Curry LA, Masoudi FA, Zhou S, Strait KM, Gross CP, Curtis JP, Lansky AJ, Soares Barreto-Filho JA, Lampropulos JF, Bueno H, Chaudhry SI, D'Onofrio G, Safdar B, Dreyer RP, Murugiah K, Spertus JA, Krumholz HM: The Variation in Recovery: Role of Gender on Outcomes of Young AMI Patients (VIRGO) Classification System: A Taxonomy for Young Women With Acute Myocardial Infarction. Circulation. 2015 Nov 3; 2015 Sep 8. PMID: 26350057
- Ogunmoroti O, Younus A, Rouseff M, Spatz ES, Das S, Parris D, Aneni E, Holzwarth L, Guzman H, Tran T, Roberson L, Ali SS, Agatston A, Maziak W, Feldman T, Veledar E, Nasir K: Assessment of American Heart Association's Ideal Cardiovascular Health Metrics Among Employees of a Large Healthcare Organization: The Baptist Health South Florida Employee Study. Clin Cardiol. 2015 Jul; 2015 May 21. PMID: 25995161
- McNamara RL, Spatz ES, Kelley TA, Stowell CJ, Beltrame J, Heidenreich P, Tresserras R, Jernberg T, Chua T, Morgan L, Panigrahi B, Rosas Ruiz A, Rumsfeld JS, Sadwin L, Schoeberl M, Shahian D, Weston C, Yeh R, Lewin J: Standardized Outcome Measurement for Patients With Coronary Artery Disease: Consensus From the International Consortium for Health Outcomes Measurement (ICHOM). J Am Heart Assoc. 2015 May 19; 2015 May 19. PMID: 25991011
- Zusterzeel R, Spatz ES, Curtis JP, Sanders WE, Selzman KA, Piña IL, Bao H, Ponirakis A, Varosy PD, Masoudi FA, Caños DA, Strauss DG: Cardiac resynchronization therapy in women versus men: observational comparative effectiveness study from the National Cardiovascular Data Registry. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2015 Mar; 2015 Feb 24. PMID: 25714821
- Zheng X, Dreyer RP, Hu S, Spatz ES, Masoudi FA, Spertus JA, Nasir K, Li X, Li J, Wang S, Krumholz HM, Jiang L, China PEACE Collaborative Group.: Age-specific gender differences in early mortality following ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction in China. Heart. 2015 Mar; 2014 Dec 15. PMID: 25510395
- Liu J, Masoudi FA, Spertus JA, Wang Q, Murugiah K, Spatz ES, Li J, Li X, Ross JS, Krumholz HM, Jiang L, China PEACE Collaborative Group.: Patterns of use of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors/angiotensin receptor blockers among patients with acute myocardial infarction in China from 2001 to 2011: China PEACE-Retrospective AMI Study. J Am Heart Assoc. 2015 Feb 23; 2015 Feb 23. PMID: 25713293
- Lindau ST, Abramsohn EM, Bueno H, D'Onofrio G, Lichtman JH, Lorenze NP, Mehta Sanghani R, Spatz ES, Spertus JA, Strait K, Wroblewski K, Zhou S, Krumholz HM: Sexual activity and counseling in the first month after acute myocardial infarction among younger adults in the United States and Spain: a prospective, observational study. Circulation. 2014 Dec 23; 2014 Dec 15. PMID: 25512442
- Bucholz EM, Strait KM, Dreyer RP, Geda M, Spatz ES, Bueno H, Lichtman JH, D'Onofrio G, Spertus JA, Krumholz HM: Effect of low perceived social support on health outcomes in young patients with acute myocardial infarction: results from the VIRGO (Variation in Recovery: Role of Gender on Outcomes of Young AMI Patients) study. J Am Heart Assoc. 2014 Sep 30; 2014 Sep 30. PMID: 25271209
- Zusterzeel R, Curtis JP, Caños DA, Sanders WE, Selzman KA, Piña IL, Spatz ES, Bao H, Ponirakis A, Varosy PD, Masoudi FA, Strauss DG: Sex-specific mortality risk by QRS morphology and duration in patients receiving CRT: results from the NCDR. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014 Sep 2. PMID: 25169173
- Spatz ES, Sheth SD, Gosch KL, Desai MM, Spertus JA, Krumholz HM, Ross JS: Usual source of care and outcomes following acute myocardial infarction. J Gen Intern Med. 2014 Jun; 2014 Feb 20. PMID: 24553957
- Matlock DD, Spatz ES: Design and testing of tools for shared decision making. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2014 May; 2014 Apr 8. PMID: 24714602
- Sinusas AJ, Spatz ES: Reframing the interpretation and application of exercise electrocardiography. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014 Apr 8; 2014 Feb 5. PMID: 24509274
- Barreto-Filho JA, Wang Y, Rathore SS, Spatz ES, Ross JS, Curtis JP, Nallamothu BK, Normand SL, Krumholz HM: Transfer rates from nonprocedure hospitals after initial admission and outcomes among elderly patients with acute myocardial infarction. JAMA Intern Med. 2014 Feb 1. PMID: 24296747
- Capp R, Rosenthal MS, Desai MM, Kelley L, Borgstrom C, Cobbs-Lomax DL, Simonette P, Spatz ES: Characteristics of Medicaid enrollees with frequent ED use. Am J Emerg Med. 2013 Sep; 2013 Jul 11. PMID: 23850143
- Spatz ES, Canavan ME, Lindau ST: Effects of hypertension and antihypertensive therapy on sexual function in the elderly: the jury is still out. Reply. J Hypertens. 2013 Sep. PMID: 24107676
- Spatz ES, Canavan ME, Desai MM, Krumholz HM, Lindau ST: Sexual activity and function among middle-aged and older men and women with hypertension. J Hypertens. 2013 Jun. PMID: 23640604
- Bradley EH, Curry LA, Spatz ES, Herrin J, Cherlin EJ, Curtis JP, Thompson JW, Ting HH, Wang Y, Krumholz HM: Hospital strategies for reducing risk-standardized mortality rates in acute myocardial infarction. Ann Intern Med. 2012 May 1. PMID: 22547471
- Spatz ES, Phipps MS, Wang OJ, Lagarde S, Lucas GI, Curry LA, Rosenthal MS: Expanding the safety net of specialty care for the uninsured: a case study. Health Serv Res. 2012 Feb; 2011 Oct 18. PMID: 22092239
- Spatz ES, Phipps MS, Lagarde S, Borgstrom C, Hunter AE, Wang OJ, Rosenthal MS, Lucas G: Project Access-New Haven: improving access to specialty care for patients without insurance. Conn Med. 2011 Jun-Jul. PMID: 21755852
- Spatz ES, Ross JS, Desai MM, Canavan ME, Krumholz HM: Beyond insurance coverage: usual source of care in the treatment of hypertension and hypercholesterolemia. Data from the 2003-2006 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Am Heart J. 2010 Jul. PMID: 20598981
- Spatz ES, Gross CP: Moving reform to the bedside: involvement of individual physicians. JAMA. 2010 Apr 7. PMID: 20371791
- Spatz ES, Ross JS: Mis-SHAPEing public health policy. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2009 Nov; 2009 Sep 22. PMID: 20031909
- Spatz ES, Canavan ME, Desai MM: From here to JUPITER: identifying new patients for statin therapy using data from the 1999-2004 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2009 Jan; 2009 Jan 13. PMID: 20031811