Research & Publications
Dr. J. Grant Thomson, a Board-Certified Hand Surgeon and a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon, is deeply interested in helping children and adults with congenital and acquired hand and upper extremity issues, and individuals whose bodies have been changed by cancer treatment. Dr. Thomson earned his medical degree from McGill University in 1983. He specializes in hand, wrist, and upper extremity surgery.
Dr. Thomson's special interests include endoscopic carpal tunnel release, trigger finger treatment, Dupuytren’s contracture, arthritic hand reconstruction, brachial plexus reconstruction, peripheral nerve surgery, occupational disorders of the upper extremity, and trauma-related pain. His clinical practice also includes reconstructive microsurgery. He uses his expertise to reach across borders to children and adults in developing countries.
Since 1998, Dr. Thomson has been leading groups of professionals on volunteer surgical expeditions, and these teams have affected the lives of over 800 individuals. His research interests include flap physiology, microsurgery, tendon repair, and breast reconstruction.
Please call 203.785.2571 to contact Dr. Thomson.
Education & Training
- FellowWashington University/Barnes Hospital, St. Louis, MO (1991)
- ResidentMcGill University/Montreal General Hospital, Canada (1990)
- ResidentMontreal General Hospital, Canada (1988)
- MScMc Gill University, Experimental Surgery (1988)
- Research FellowRoyal Victoria Hospital, Montreal, Canada (1985)
- MDMcGill University (1983)
- Volunteer Hand SurgeryLima, Callao Region, Peru 2020Since 1998 Dr Thomson has been leading a group of professionals to developing nations to perform hand surgery on children and adults with congenital and acquired hand problems. The team includes plastic and orthopedic surgeons, anesthesiologists, nurses, a pediatrician, and a hand therapist. The team brings all the necessary equipment and supplies. The humanitarian effort is funded entirely by donated funds. Over 21 years, the team has operated on over 1000 individuals in Brazil, Honduras, Nicar
- Hand SurgerySan Pedro Sula, Cortés Department, Honduras; Managua, MN, Nicaragua; Manaus, AM, Brazil 1998Hand Surgery
Honors & Recognition
|Best Doctors in America||Castle Connolly||2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016|
|Resident Award for Distinguished Teaching||Yale Plastic Surgery||1999, 2003, 2013|
|Xiangya Medicine||Editorial Board||2016 - Present|
|American Association of Plastic Surgeons||Chair, Research and Education Committee||2014 - 2015|
|Aesthetic Plastic Surgery||Editor, Hand and Peripheral Nerve Section||2011 - 2015|
|American Association of Plastic Surgeons||Acting Chair, Research and Education Committee||2011 - 2012|
|Hand Help, Inc||President and founder. This organization provides free volunteer hand surgery in developing nations.||2006 - Present|