Nephrology; Activin Receptors, Type II; Healthcare Disparities; Sarcopenia; Acute Kidney Injury
Dr. Wilson's research focuses on the epidemiology of chronic kidney disease and acute kidney injury. He has a particular interest in the development and application of personalized medicine techniques to target the proper therapy to the proper patient. He pursues interventional studies to try to help patients live longer, happier lives.
Specialized Terms: Randomized Trials; Acute Kidney Injury; Disparities; Outcomes; CKD progression; Machine-Learning; Personalized Medicine; Uplift modeling.
Extensive Research Description
Dr. Wilson uses epidemiologic and translational research methods to characterize predictors of outcomes in patients with both chronic kidney disease and acute kidney injury. In addition, he uses advanced machine-learning techniques to identify which patients are most likely to respond to a given intervention. These models can reduce the number of individuals exposed to a drug or intervention unnecessarily, reducing adverse events, and lowering costs.
Dr. Wilson was the recipient of a Ruth L Kirschstein national service award (F32) as well as a career development award (K23) from the National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive, and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK), as well as multiple other grants.
Current Research Projects:
Efficacy of Automated, Electronic Alerts for Acute Kidney Injury
Identifying subgroups of biomarkers to predict development of Acute Kidney Injury
Modeling patient response to a drug to predict future patient's responses.
Effect of a Strength-Training Intervention on Muscle mass and Function in Chronic Kidney Disease
Health Disparities in Access to Dialysis for Acute Kidney Injury
Automated, electronic alerts for acute kidney injury: a single-blind, parallel-group, randomised controlled trial.
Wilson FP, Shashaty M, Testani J, Aqeel I, Borovskiy Y, Ellenberg S, Feldman HI, Fernandez H, Gitelman Y, Lin J, Negoianu D, Parikh CR, Reese PP, Urbani R, Fuchs BS: Automated, electronic alerts for acute kidney injury: a single-blind, parallel-group, randomised controlled trial. The Lancet. Published online 2/2015.
Creatinine Generation is Reduced in Patients Requiring Continuous Venovenous Hemodialysis and Independently Predicts Mortality.
Wilson FP, Sheehan JM, Mariani LH, Berns JS: Creatinine Generation is Reduced in Patients Requiring Continuous Venovenous Hemodialysis and Independently Predicts Mortality. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation 27(11): 4088-94, Nov 2012.
Clinical journal of the American Society of Nephrology
Wilson FP, Yang W, Feldman HI: Predictors of Death and Dialysis in Severe AKI: the UPHS-AKI Cohort. Clinical journal of the American Society of Nephrology : CJASN 8(4): 527-37, Apr 2013.
Sundays and Mortality in Patients with Acute Kidney Injury.
Wilson FP, Yang W, Schrauben S, Machado C, Lin J, Feldman HI: Sundays and Mortality in Patients with Acute Kidney Injury. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology: CJASN 8(11): 1863-9, Aug 2013.
The Impact of Documentation of Severe Acute Kidney Injury on Mortality.
Wilson FP, Bansal A, Jasti S, Lin J, Shashaty M, Berns JS, Feldman HI, Fuchs B: The Impact of Documentation of Severe Acute Kidney Injury on Mortality. Clinical Nephrology 80(6): 417-25, Sep 2013.
Dialysis versus Non-Dialysis in Patients with Acute Kidney Injury: A Propensity-Matched Cohort Study.
Wilson FP, Yang W, Machado CA, Mariani LH, Borovskiy Y, Berns JS, Feldman HI: Dialysis versus Non-Dialysis in Patients with Acute Kidney Injury: A Propensity-Matched Cohort Study. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology: CJASN 9(4): 673-81. April 2014.
A Trial of In-Hospital, Electronic Alerts for Acute Kidney Injury: Design and Rationale.
Wilson FP, Reese P, Shashaty M, Gitelman Y, Urbani R, Feldman H, Ellenberg S, Fuchs B: A Trial of In-Hospital, Electronic Alerts for Acute Kidney Injury: Design and Rationale. Clinical Trials. July 2014.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Ahmad T, Jackson K, Rao VS, Tang WHW, Brisco-Bacik MA, Chen HH, Felker GM, Hernandez AF, O'Connor CM, Sabbisetti VS, Bonventre JV, Wilson FP, Coca SG, Testani JM: Worsening Renal Function in Acute Heart Failure Patients Undergoing Aggressive Diuresis is Not Associated with Tubular Injury. Circulation. 2018 Jan 19; 2018 Jan 19. PMID: 29352071
- Meisner A, Kerr KF, Thiessen-Philbrook H, Wilson FP, Garg AX, Shlipak MG, Kavsak P, Whitlock RP, Coca SG, Parikh CR: Development of biomarker combinations for postoperative acute kidney injury via Bayesian model selection in a multicenter cohort study. Biomark Res. 2018; 2018 Jan 12. PMID: 29344362
- Moledina DG, Hall IE, Thiessen-Philbrook H, Reese PP, Weng FL, Schröppel B, Doshi MD, Wilson FP, Coca SG, Parikh CR: Performance of Serum Creatinine and Kidney Injury Biomarkers for Diagnosing Histologic Acute Tubular Injury. Am J Kidney Dis. 2017 Dec; 2017 Aug 24. PMID: 28844586
- Lin H, Scherzer R, Philbrook HT, Coca SG, Wilson FP, Garg AX, Shlipak MG, Parikh CR: Group analysis identifies differentially elevated biomarkers with distinct outcomes for advanced acute kidney injury in cardiac surgery. Biomark Med. 2017 Dec; 2017 Nov 27. PMID: 29172665
- Kerr KF, Roth J, Zhu K, Thiessen-Philbrook H, Meisner A, Wilson FP, Coca S, Parikh CR: Evaluating biomarkers for prognostic enrichment of clinical trials. Clin Trials. 2017 Dec; 2017 Aug 10. PMID: 28795578
- Rao VS, Planavsky N, Hanberg JS, Ahmad T, Brisco-Bacik MA, Wilson FP, Jacoby D, Chen M, Tang WHW, Cherney DZI, Ellison DH, Testani JM: Compensatory Distal Reabsorption Drives Diuretic Resistance in Human Heart Failure. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017 Nov; 2017 Jul 24. PMID: 28739647
- Hanberg JS, Rao VS, Ahmad T, Chunara Z, Mahoney D, Jackson K, Jacoby D, Chen M, Wilson FP, Tang WHW, Kakkar R, Testani JM: Inflammation and cardio-renal interactions in heart failure: a potential role for interleukin-6. Eur J Heart Fail. 2017 Oct 11; 2017 Oct 11. PMID: 29024287
- Hanberg JS, Tang WHW, Wilson FP, Coca SG, Ahmad T, Brisco MA, Testani JM: An exploratory analysis of the competing effects of aggressive decongestion and high-dose loop diuretic therapy in the DOSE trial. Int J Cardiol. 2017 Aug 15; 2017 Mar 27. PMID: 28392080
- Wilson FP: Information Technology and Acute Kidney Injury: Alerts, Alarms, Bells, and Whistles. Adv Chronic Kidney Dis. 2017 Jul. PMID: 28778364
- Lachance P, Villeneuve PM, Rewa OG, Wilson FP, Selby NM, Featherstone RM, Bagshaw SM: Association between e-alert implementation for detection of acute kidney injury and outcomes: a systematic review. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2017 Feb 1. PMID: 28088774
- Saly D, Yang A, Triebwasser C, Oh J, Sun Q, Testani J, Parikh CR, Bia J, Biswas A, Stetson C, Chaisanguanthum K, Wilson FP: Approaches to Predicting Outcomes in Patients with Acute Kidney Injury. PLoS One. 2017; 2017 Jan 25. PMID: 28122032
- Hsu CY, Xie D, Waikar SS, Bonventre JV, Zhang X, Sabbisetti V, Mifflin TE, Coresh J, Diamantidis CJ, He J, Lora CM, Miller ER, Nelson RG, Ojo AO, Rahman M, Schelling JR, Wilson FP, Kimmel PL, Feldman HI, Vasan RS, Liu KD, CRIC Study Investigators., CKD Biomarkers Consortium.: Urine biomarkers of tubular injury do not improve on the clinical model predicting chronic kidney disease progression. Kidney Int. 2017 Jan; 2016 Oct 28. PMID: 28029431
- Boyle SM, Li Y, Wilson FP, Glickman JD, Feldman HI: Association of Alternative Approaches to Normalizing Peritoneal Dialysis Clearance with Mortality and Technique Failure: A Retrospective Analysis Using the United States Renal Data System-Dialysis Morbidity and Mortality Study, Wave 2. Perit Dial Int. 2017 1-2; 2016 Sep 28. PMID: 27680757
- Grams ME, Wilson FP: Lifetime Probabilities of ESRD: A Decade of Disparity. Am J Kidney Dis. 2016 Dec. PMID: 27884278
- Wilson FP, Liu X, Mattes TE, Cupples AM: Nocardioides, Sediminibacterium, Aquabacterium, Variovorax, and Pseudomonas linked to carbon uptake during aerobic vinyl chloride biodegradation. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2016 Oct; 2016 Jun 24. PMID: 27343076
- Brisco MA, Zile MR, Hanberg JS, Wilson FP, Parikh CR, Coca SG, Tang WH, Testani JM: Relevance of Changes in Serum Creatinine During a Heart Failure Trial of Decongestive Strategies: Insights From the DOSE Trial. J Card Fail. 2016 Oct; 2016 Jun 30. PMID: 27374839
- Perazella MA, Wilson FP: Acute kidney injury: Preventing acute kidney injury through nephrotoxin management. Nat Rev Nephrol. 2016 Sep; 2016 Jul 4. PMID: 27374917
- Wilson FP, Cupples AM: Microbial community characterization and functional gene quantification in RDX-degrading microcosms derived from sediment and groundwater at two naval sites. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2016 Aug; 2016 Apr 27. PMID: 27118012
- Oh J, Bia JR, Ubaid-Ullah M, Testani JM, Wilson FP: Provider acceptance of an automated electronic alert for acute kidney injury. Clin Kidney J. 2016 Aug; 2016 Jun 10. PMID: 27478598
- Brisco MA, Zile MR, Ter Maaten JM, Hanberg JS, Wilson FP, Parikh C, Testani JM: The risk of death associated with proteinuria in heart failure is restricted to patients with an elevated blood urea nitrogen to creatinine ratio. Int J Cardiol. 2016 Jul 15; 2016 Apr 14. PMID: 27153048
- Testani JM, Hanberg JS, Arroyo JP, Brisco MA, Ter Maaten JM, Wilson FP, Bellumkonda L, Jacoby D, Tang WH, Parikh CR: Hypochloraemia is strongly and independently associated with mortality in patients with chronic heart failure. Eur J Heart Fail. 2016 Jun; 2016 Jan 13. PMID: 26763893
- Hanberg JS, Sury K, Wilson FP, Brisco MA, Ahmad T, Ter Maaten JM, Broughton JS, Assefa M, Tang WH, Parikh CR, Testani JM: Reduced Cardiac Index Is Not the Dominant Driver of Renal Dysfunction in Heart Failure. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016 May 17. PMID: 27173030
- Lachance P, Villeneuve PM, Wilson FP, Selby NM, Featherstone R, Rewa O, Bagshaw SM: Impact of e-alert for detection of acute kidney injury on processes of care and outcomes: protocol for a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ Open. 2016 May 5; 2016 May 5. PMID: 27150187
- Hoste EA, Kashani K, Gibney N, Wilson FP, Ronco C, Goldstein SL, Kellum JA, Bagshaw SM, 15 ADQI Consensus Group.: Impact of electronic-alerting of acute kidney injury: workgroup statements from the 15(th) ADQI Consensus Conference. Can J Kidney Health Dis. 2016; 2016 Feb 26. PMID: 26925246
- Lazarus B, Chen Y, Wilson FP, Sang Y, Chang AR, Coresh J, Grams ME: Proton Pump Inhibitor Use and the Risk of Chronic Kidney Disease. JAMA Intern Med. 2016 Feb. PMID: 26752337
- Testani JM, Hanberg JS, Cheng S, Rao V, Onyebeke C, Laur O, Kula A, Chen M, Wilson FP, Darlington A, Bellumkonda L, Jacoby D, Tang WH, Parikh CR: Rapid and Highly Accurate Prediction of Poor Loop Diuretic Natriuretic Response in Patients With Heart Failure. Circ Heart Fail. 2016 Jan. PMID: 26721915
- Kula AJ, Hanberg JS, Wilson FP, Brisco MA, Bellumkonda L, Jacoby D, Coca SG, Parikh CR, Tang WHW, Testani JM: Influence of Titration of Neurohormonal Antagonists and Blood Pressure Reduction on Renal Function and Decongestion in Decompensated Heart Failure. Circ Heart Fail. 2016 Jan; 2015 Dec 23. PMID: 26699390
- Lin J, Fernandez H, Shashaty MG, Negoianu D, Testani JM, Berns JS, Parikh CR, Wilson FP: False-Positive Rate of AKI Using Consensus Creatinine-Based Criteria. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2015 Oct 7; 2015 Sep 3. PMID: 26336912
- Lin J, Khetarpal SA, Terembula K, Reilly MP, Wilson FP: Relation of atherogenic lipoproteins with estimated glomerular filtration rate decline: a longitudinal study. BMC Nephrol. 2015 Aug 4; 2015 Aug 4. PMID: 26238454
- Wilson FP, Shashaty M, Testani J, Aqeel I, Borovskiy Y, Ellenberg SS, Feldman HI, Fernandez H, Gitelman Y, Lin J, Negoianu D, Parikh CR, Reese PP, Urbani R, Fuchs B: Automated, electronic alerts for acute kidney injury: a single-blind, parallel-group, randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2015 May 16; 2015 Feb 26. PMID: 25726515
- Potluri V, Harhay MN, Wilson FP, Bloom RD, Reese PP: Kidney transplant outcomes for prior living organ donors. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2015 May; 2014 Nov 20. PMID: 25412818
- Lin J, Reilly MP, Terembula K, Wilson FP: Plasma lipoprotein(a) levels are associated with mild renal impairment in type 2 diabetics independent of albuminuria. PLoS One. 2014; 2014 Dec 9. PMID: 25490096
- Wilson FP, Xie D, Anderson AH, Leonard MB, Reese PP, Delafontaine P, Horwitz E, Kallem R, Navaneethan S, Ojo A, Porter AC, Sondheimer JH, Sweeney HL, Townsend RR, Feldman HI, CRIC Study Investigators.: Urinary creatinine excretion, bioelectrical impedance analysis, and clinical outcomes in patients with CKD: the CRIC study. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2014 Dec 5; 2014 Nov 7. PMID: 25381342
- Wilson FP, Reese PP, Shashaty MG, Ellenberg SS, Gitelman Y, Bansal AD, Urbani R, Feldman HI, Fuchs B: A trial of in-hospital, electronic alerts for acute kidney injury: design and rationale. Clin Trials. 2014 Oct; 2014 Jul 14. PMID: 25023200
- Wilson FP: A policy of preemption: the timing of renal replacement therapy in AKI. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2014 Sep 5; 2014 Aug 8. PMID: 25107949
- Wilson FP, Yang W, Machado CA, Mariani LH, Borovskiy Y, Berns JS, Feldman HI: Dialysis versus nondialysis in patients with AKI: a propensity-matched cohort study. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2014 Apr; 2014 Mar 20. PMID: 24651073
- Wilson FP, Berns JS: Tumor lysis syndrome: new challenges and recent advances. Adv Chronic Kidney Dis. 2014 Jan. PMID: 24359983
- Wilson NP, Wilson FP, Neuman M, Epstein A, Bell R, Armstrong K, Murayama K: Determinants of surgical decision making: a national survey. Am J Surg. 2013 Dec. PMID: 24296100
- Wilson FP, Bansal AD, Jasti SK, Lin JJ, Shashaty MG, Berns JS, Feldman HI, Fuchs BD: The impact of documentation of severe acute kidney injury on mortality. Clin Nephrol. 2013 Dec. PMID: 24075024
- Wilson FP, Yang W, Schrauben S, Machado C, Lin JJ, Feldman HI: Sundays and mortality in patients with AKI. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2013 Nov; 2013 Aug 22. PMID: 23970128
- Choi SY, Chacon-Heszele MF, Huang L, McKenna S, Wilson FP, Zuo X, Lipschutz JH: Cdc42 deficiency causes ciliary abnormalities and cystic kidneys. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2013 Sep; 2013 Jun 13. PMID: 23766535
- Wilson FP, Yang W, Feldman HI: Predictors of death and dialysis in severe AKI: the UPHS-AKI cohort. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2013 Apr; 2012 Dec 20. PMID: 23258795
- Wilson FP, Sheehan JM, Mariani LH, Berns JS: Creatinine generation is reduced in patients requiring continuous venovenous hemodialysis and independently predicts mortality. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2012 Nov; 2012 Jan 23. PMID: 22273668
- Wilson FP, Berns JS: Onco-nephrology: tumor lysis syndrome. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2012 Oct; 2012 Aug 9. PMID: 22879434
- Wilson FP, Bachhuber MA, Caroff D, Adler R, Fish D, Berns J: Low cefepime concentrations during high blood and dialysate flow continuous venovenous hemodialysis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012 Apr; 2012 Jan 30. PMID: 22290968
- Wilson FP, Berns JS: Vancomycin levels are frequently subtherapeutic during continuous venovenous hemodialysis (CVVHD). Clin Nephrol. 2012 Apr. PMID: 22445477
- Wilson FP, Nasr SH, Markowitz GS, Naylor EC, Sterman PL, D'Agati VD: A destructive nasal lesion and glomerulonephritis. Kidney Int. 2006 May. PMID: 16508654