Renal Insufficiency; Acute Kidney Injury
The outcome of patients with acute kidney injury remains unchanged in the last five decades, despite tremendous advances in understanding at the cellular and molecular level. Delayed diagnosis of acute kidney injury with traditional markers, such as serum creatinine, is one of the main reasons for failure of interventional strategies in this disease. This issue is becoming increasingly recognized, with an urgent need for translational research to identify new biomarkers and interventions to improve outcomes for this relatively common and deadly condition.
My group is involved in several epidemiological and translational research projects. We are validating novel biomarkers, such as urine IL-18 and urine NGAL, in several multi-center patient cohorts of kidney injury. In addition, we are analyzing several national and international databases to address important questions surrounding prevention, patterns of care, and the prognosis of various kidney diseases.
Extensive Research Description
- Parikh CR, Thiessen-Philbrook H, Garg AX, Kadiyala D, Shlipak MG, Koyner JL, Edelstein CL, Devarajan P, Patel UD, Zappitelli M, Krawczeski CD, Passik CS, Coca SG; TRIBE-AKI Consortium. Performance of Kidney Injury Molecule-1 and Liver Fatty Acid-Bindin
- Shlipak MG, Scherzer R, Abraham A, Tien PC, Grunfeld C, Peralta CA, Devarajan P, Bennett M, Butch AW, Anastos K, Cohen MH, Nowicki M, Sharma A, Young MA, Sarnak MJ, Parikh CR. Urinary markers of kidney injury and kidney function decline in HIV-infecte
- Belcher JM, Edelstein CL, Parikh CR. Clinical applications of biomarkers for acute kidney injury. Am J Kidney Dis. 2011 Jun;57(6):930-40. Epub 2011 Mar 15. PubMed PMID: 21411200.
- Hall IE, Yarlagadda SG, Coca SG, Wang Z, Doshi M, Devarajan P, Han WK, Marcus RJ, Parikh CR. IL-18 and urinary NGAL predict dialysis and graft recovery after kidney transplantation. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010 Jan;21(1):189-97. Epub 2009 Sep 17. PubMed PMID: 1
- Parikh CR, Coca SG, Thiessen-Philbrook H, Shlipak MG, Koyner JL, Wang Z, Edelstein CL, Devarajan P, Patel UD, Zappitelli M, Krawczeski CD, Passik CS, Swaminathan M, Garg AX; for the TRIBE-AKI Consortium. Postoperative Biomarkers Predict Acute Kidney Inj
- Coca SG, Krumholz HM, Garg AX, Parikh CR. Under-representation of Renal Disease in Randomized Trials of Cardiovascular Disease. JAMA. 2006 1377-1384.