Henry J. Binder MD
Professor Emeritus of and Senior Research Scientist in Medicine (Digestive Diseases)
ATPase; Colonic Electrolyte Transport; Epithelial Cell Function; Ion Transport; Short Chain Fatty Acids; Molecular Cellular Entities; Receptors
Regulation of colonic Na transport in apical and basolateral membranes.
Extensive Research Description
Dr. Binder's research career has primarily been directed toward the regulation of colonic electrolyte transport and the pathophysiology of diarrhea and the basis for development of new approaches for treatment of diarrhea. These transport studies were primarily in vitro and dissected the cellular mechanisms of Na, C1, K, HCO3 and short-chain fatty acid transport and were supported by NIDDK for 37 years. During the past few years, Dr. Binder has focused his investigative activities toward the establishment of a major modification of oral rehydration solution (ORS) that is based on his prior laboratory studies that demonstrated butyrate-stimulated Na absorption in the colon was cyclic AMP-insensitive. These studies supported by Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation are designed to increase the uptake of ORS with the adaption of an improved formulation with resistant starch (starch that is relatively insensitive to amylase digestion).
- Zhang, K, Yin, L, Zhang, M, Parker, MD, Binder, HJ, Salzman, P, Zhang L, Okunieff, P, Vidyasagar, S: Radiation decreases murine small intestinal HCO3-secretion. Int. J. Radiat. Biol. 87:878-88, 2011.
- Motarjemi, Y, Steffen R, Binder HJ: Preventive strategy against infectious diarrrhea-a holistic approach. Gastroenterol. 143:516-519, 2012.
- Barmeyer C, Ye JH, Soroka C, Giebel P, Hinsammer LM, Weitgasser L, Atway D, Geibel JP, Binder HJ, Rajendran VM: Identification of functionally distinct Na-HCO3 co-transporters in colon. PLoS One. 8(5)E62864, 2013.
- Motarjemi Y, Steffen R, Binder HJ: Preventive strategy against infectious diarrhea – a holistic approach. Gastroneterology 143:516-519 2012.
- Binder, H.J. The Role of Colonic Short-Chain Fatty Acid Transport in Diarrhea. Ann. Review Physiol. 72: 297-313, 2010.
- Binder, H.J.: Nutrient digestion and absorption. In: Medical Physiology. Edited by Boron, E., and Boulapaep, E.L., Saunders, Philadelphia, 2nd ed. pp 949-979, 2009.
- Binder. H.J.: Intestinal fluid and electrolyte movement. In: Medical Physiology. Edited by Boron, E., and Boulapaep, E.L., Saunders, Philadelphia, 2nd ed. pp 933-948, 2009.
- Binder, H.J.: Gastric Function. In: Medical Physiology. Edited by Boron, E., and Boulapaep, E.L., Saunders, Philadelphia, 2nd ed. pp 895-911, 2009.
- Binder, H.J.: Organization of the gastrointestinal system. In: Medical Physiology. Edited by Boron, E., and Boulapaep, E.L., Saunders, Philadelphia, 2nd ed. pp 883-894, 2009.
- Balakrishnan, BS, Venkataraman, S., Mohen, V., Sebastrian, BK, Gursamy, M, Young, GP, Farthing, MJ, and Binder, HJ: Amylase resistant starch in hypo-osmolar oral rehydration solution for the treatment of acute severe watery diarrhea in adults. PLoS ONE. Feb 13:3: e1587, 2008.