Mark Bernard Russi MD
Professor of Medicine (Occupational Medicine) and of Epidemiology (Environmental Health); Director, Occupational Health Services, Yale-New Haven Hospital
Occupational and environmental epidemiology; Infectious disease epidemiology; Healthcare workers' health issues
- Development of Healthcare Worker Vaccination Guideline, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Development of Infection Control Guideline for Healthcare Personnel, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Use of active surveillance tool to estimate bloodborne pathogen incidence at a large academic medical center.
My research activities as a clinician and educator in occupational and environmental medicine have revolved largely around workplace exposures and occupational illnesses of healthcare workers. In particular I have sought to apply a scholarly approach to developing national guidance for healthcare worker safety, and to teaching medical center-based occupational health practice. Leadership in this endeavor has been fostered by my work with the CDC which straddles an interface of medical center occupational health and infection control. In addition, I have pursued a separate and secondary agenda addressing cancers associated with occupational and environmental exposures.
- Russi M: Biologic Hazards. In: Occupational Health. B Levy, D Wegman (eds) Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia PA (in press).
- Russi M, Medical Center Occupational Health Section. ACOEM Guidance Statement: HIV and AIDS in the Workplace. Medical Center Occupational Health Section. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 51(2):243-250, 2009.
- Russi MB, Borak JB, Cullen MR. An examination of cancer epidemiology studies among populations living close to toxic waste sites. Environmental Health 2008,7:32.
- Russi M. Evidence-based concensus statement of the American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine addressing pertussis vaccination of healthcare workers. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 200749(6):700-702.
- Friedman L, Nash E, Bryant J, Henry S, Shi J, D'Amato J, Khaled G, Russi M, O'Connor P, Edberg S, Pisani M, Cain H, Tanoue L, Weissman D. High rate of negative results of tuberculin and quantiferon tests among individuals with a history of positive skin test results. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 200627:436-441.
- Vegso S, Cantley L, Slade M, Taiwo O, Sircar K, Rabinowitz P, Fiellin M, Russi M, Cullen M. Extended work hours and risk of acute occupational injury: A case-crossover study of workers in manufacturing. American Journal of Industrial Medicine 200750:597-603.
- Russi M, Howarth, M: Occupational exposures and illnesses of healthcare workers. In: Textbook of Clinical Occupational and Environmental Medicine, L Rosenstock, M Cullen, (eds) W.A.Saunders, Philadelphia, PA. pp 245-262, 2005.
- Russi M, Buitrago M, Goulet J, Calello D, Perlotto J, van Rhijn D, Nash E, Friedland G, Hierholzer W: Antiretroviral prophylaxis of health care workers at two urban medical centers. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 2000. 42:1092-1100.