Xiao Xu PhD
Assistant Professor of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences and of Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Health economics; Outcomes research; Cost effectiveness analysis; Women's health; Aging
As a health economist, Dr. Xu's research focuses on improving the efficiency and outcomes of care for women and older adults. Her research projects have examined regional and hospital variation in costs of care, cost-effectiveness of interventions in obstetrics and gynecology, influence of medical malpractice environment on obstetric care, impact of insurance on health care utilization and outcomes of care, and gender and racial/ethnic differences in health trajectories.
Dr. Xu's research has been funded by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) and the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Foundation. She received Honorable Mention for the Aetna Susan B. Anthony Award from the American Public Health Association (Gerontological Health Section) for excellence in research on older women and public health (2005) and the Frank J. McDevitt Excellence in Research Award in Policy Research from the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Foundation (2008, 2011).
- McPencow AM, Erekson EA, Guess MK, Martin DK, Patel DA, Xu X. Cost-effectiveness of preoperative endometrial evaluation prior to minimally-invasive supracervical hysterectomy and sacrocolpopexy. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 2013;209(1):22.e1-9.
- Xu X, Spurr SJ, Nan B, Fendrick AM. The effect of medical malpractice liability on rate of referrals received by specialist physicians. Health Economics, Policy and Law 2013;8(4):453-475.
- Gold KJ, Sen A, Xu X. Hospital costs associated with stillbirth delivery. Maternal and Child Health Journal 2013;17(10):1835-41.
- Xu X, Meenes S, Zochowski MK, Fenner D. Economic cost of fecal incontinence. Diseases of the Colon and Rectum 2012;55(5):586-598.
- Berger MB, Xu X, Williams J, Van de Ven C, Mozurkewich E. Early hospital discharge of infants born to group B streptococci-positive mothers: A decision analysis. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 2012;119(4):439-448.
- Xu X, Ivy JS, Patel DA, Patel SN, Smith DG, Ransom SB, Fenner D, DeLancey JOL. Pelvic floor consequences of cesarean delivery on maternal request in women with a single birth: A cost-effectiveness analysis. Journal of Women’s Health 2010;19(1):147-160.
- Xu X, Liang J, Bennett JM, Quiñones AR, Ye W. Ethnic differences in the dynamics of depressive symptoms in middle aged and older Americans. Journal of Aging and Health, 2010;22(5):631-652.