The twelve-month didactic phase is designed to introduce students to concepts of basic and clinical sciences, principles of human behavior and research methodology. The Yale School of Medicine faculty, including the core PA faculty, is responsible for the lectures and small-group seminars in the core curriculum.
Educational highlights and innovations include…
- standardized patients for history taking and physical exam skills assessment
- suturing training
- full anatomy dissection lab
- computer-based learning and iPads with curriculum document delivery system
- small-group seminar sessions and journal clubs integrated throughout
- introduction to bedside ultrasound skills using Butterfly’s portable ultrasound
During the didactic phase, students develop their observational acumen and interpersonal skills for history taking and physical examination, as well as fine tune their psychomotor, spatial, and critical-thinking skills.