The Cushing Society
As one of the “fathers of neurosurgery,” Yale Sterling Professor, Dr. Harvey W. Cushing (1869-1939), pioneered the development of many fundamental neurosurgical techniques, allowing neurosurgery to become the autonomous surgical discipline it is today. In honor of his legacy and dedication to teaching, the Yale Neurosurgery Department has founded a Student Society focused on mentorship throughout the Yale scientific and medical communities.
The society was founded in 2016-2017 by Stefano Daniele, Danielle Miyagishima ,and Kristopher Kahle, MD, PhD.
The mission of the Cushing Society is to foster a direct educational and research interface between Yale undergraduates and medical students with neurosurgery residents and faculty. To accomplish this, the Cushing Society is dedicated to:
- Building a mentoring network and community that spans all levels of neurosurgical training and interest, allowing students access to work closely with neurosurgeons and scientists.
- Connecting interested, dedicated students to basic science and clinical neurosurgery laboratories to spearhead research projects aimed at pushing our field forward.
- Build “tripartite” mentorship and research teams consisting of faculty members, residents, and students
- Encourage student education through inclusion in our frequent Yale neurosurgery conferences
- Support student travel and research presentations at national neurosurgical meetings
- Match students with clinical observerships with specific faculty in either the Operating Room or Clinic
- Partner with Yale Medical Professions Outreach to engage Yale College students
- Host networking events, facilitating collaboration and community within the Yale medical and scientific communities
Counselor for Academic & Research Affairs & Development; Distinguished Adjunct Professor of Neurosurgery
Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery; Vice Chair of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Neurosurgery; Clinician; Yale Neurosurgery, Lawrence + Memorial Hospital - New London
M4 Class Representative
Medical Student, Neurology
M2 Class Representative
Outreach Coordinator for Yale College
Outreach Coordinator to Quinnipiac Med
Senior Research Associate