Research & Publications
Dr. Attaran studied as an undergraduate at the University of Toronto, Canada. He attended medical school at the University of Sheffield, UK, with Honors. He completed his internal medicine residency and cardiovascular medicine fellowship at the University of Arizona before completing his interventional cardiology fellowship at Yale University.
Dr. Attaran is the Director of the Interventional Cardiology Fellowship Program.
His interests outside interventional cardiology include treatments for peripheral arterial and venous disease. He is Director of the Venous Disorders Program, at the Department of Medicine.
He is involved in a number of national and international research studies in cardiovascular intervention. He serves on the American College of Cardiology's National Cardiovascular Data Registry, Research and Publications Committee.
Education & Training
- MBBSUniversity of Sheffield (2000)
- BSUniversity of Toronto (1994)
- FellowshipYale University
- FellowshipUniversity of Arizona
- ResidencyUniversity of Arizona
- ResidencyUniversity College London Hospitals
- ResidencyGuy's & St. Thomas Hospitals London
- InternshipRoyal Hallamshire Hospital
- Board CertificationAB of Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular Disease (2010)
- Board CertificationAB of Internal Medicine, Interventional Cardiology (2011)
- Speaking Engagement - CVC ConferenceChicago, United States 2019Annual Artery and Venous therapeutics meeting.
- Invited SpeakerChicago, United States 2019CVC (Chicago endovascular conference)
- Invited speakerLondon, United Kingdom 2019A symposium held jointly by Yale and King's on Diabetic foot management.
- Invited SpeakerLondon, United Kingdom 2019Symposium on the management of diabetic foot, vascular disease.
- Speaker.New Orleans, United States 2019Vein forum in a large national meeting focusing on vascular disease.
- Oral presentation. Debate.New Orleans, United States 2019A debate on the best method to ablate an incompetent saphenous vein in symptomatic reflux.
- Oral presentation at the Global Rising Star Session.London, United Kingdom 2019The Charing Cross Symposium is a large long-running annual vascular meeting with presenters and researchers from Europe and the rest of the world presenting their findings.
- Invited LectureBaltimore, United States 2018Annual Meeting of The American Professional Wound Care Society.
- Invited LectureChicago, United States 2018Invited to speak about the various guidelines on the care of venous ulcers.
- Invited SpeakerChicago, United States 2018Lecture on the contemporary management of pulmonary embolism and the evidence.
- Invited SpeakerChicago, United States 2018Discussion of high risk deep vein thrombosis management.
- Video and oral presentationChicago, United States 2018Demonstration of a novel technique to treat an incompetent saphenous vein.
- SpeakerNew Orleans, United States 2018Lecture, invited on the year's best venous trials.
- Invited LectureNew Orleans, United States 2018Educational lecture on a therapy technique for non-thermal vein ablation.
- Invited SpeakerNew Orleans, United States 2018Lecture on a non-thermal vein ablation technique
- Invited SpeakerNew Orleans, United States 2018Discussion of latest techniques in the evaluation and treatment of venous disease for allied health professionals.
- Invited EducatorNew Orleans, United States 2018Talk at Fellows Course on treatment of chronic venous disease.
- Invited speakerNapa, United States 2018Day symposium on venous disease and treatment targeting general practitioners and podiatrists.
- Accepted Poster, and oral presentationNew York, United States 2018Description of an embolic stroke case associated with a congenital venous pathology.
- Case PresentationNew Orleans, United States 2017Rare and interesting case presentation. A diagnostic conundrum.
- Invited LectureNew Orleans, United States 2017A lecture recapping the best trials.
- Invited SpeakerNew Orleans, United States 2017Lecture on management of arteriovenous disease. Audience members included physicians, podiatrists, nurses.
- Invited speakerNew Orleans, United States 2017Lecture to fellows introducing various venous topics, management and treatment options.
- Yale Symposium at Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions Annual Scientific Sessions.New Orleans, United States 2017Presentations on multi-disciplinary team and practice building.
- Invited LectureAventura, United States 2017Lecture at grand rounds on venous disease, delivered to residents and house staff.
- Poster presentationHollywood, United States 2017Data on novel vascular closure device. Safety and outcomes.
- Poster presenterHollywood, United States 2017Report on a novel technique.
- Invited LectureRedding, United States 2016One day symposium directed at physicians and allied health professionals involved in the care of venous disease patients.
- Invited SpeakerNew Orleans, United States 2016Vascular conference for physicians and allied health professionals.
- Invited lectureNew Orleans, United States 2016Annual conference for physicians and allied health professionals interested in the care of vascular disease.
- Session entitled : Great minds think differently.Washington, United States 2016Symposium at the American College of Cardiology Annual Scientific Sessions.
- Invited talkMiami, United States 2015Educational segment on diagnosing cause of leg edema.
- Oral presentationMiami, United States 2015An educational session to teach vein sclerotherapy techniques.
- Lecture at venous disease symposiumRedding, United States 2015Day long symposium aimed at clinician involved in the care of patients with venous pathology.
- LectureNew Orleans, United States 2015Vein symposium.
- SpeakerNew Orleans, United States 2015Vein Forum for vein specialists.
- Invited lectureNew Orleans, United States 2015Vein symposium for vein specialists.
Honors & Recognition
|Patient's Choice Award||Vitals.com||2016|
|Compassionate Doctor Recognition||2016|
|CVC - Chicago Endovascular conference||Panelist on venous disease sessions.||2019|
|American Venous Forum||Member of fellowship training committee.||2019|
|Yale Heart and Vascular||One day symposium on topics in peripheral vascular medicine, interventional cardiology.||2019 - Present|
|American Venous Forum||Committee member to help plan Fellows course as well as to increase membership.||2019|
|American Venous Forum||Member of membership committee.||2019|
|Yale Update Interventional Cardiology, Annual Symposium||Chair||2019|
|American College of Cardiology||Reviewer and grader of peripheral vascular disease abstracts submitted for review at Annual Scientific Sessions.||2018 - Present|
|Yale University||Yale-affiliated hospitals Cardiovascular medicine lecture series. Co-ordinator. Tasked with assigning approximately 70 lectures.||2018 - 2019|
|Internal Medicine Residency Admissions Committee||Interview and selection of internal medicine residency program candidates.||2018 - 2019|
|Phlebology Journal||Reviewer / grader of submitted articles for consideration.||2017 - Present|
|Yale Affiliated Hospital Program, Lecture Series||Coordinator||2017 - Present|
|ACGME Clinical Learning Environment Review panelist.||Participant||2017 - Present|
|American College of Cardiology National Cardiovascular Data Registry||Member of committee to review research proposals and to direct future research goals. Co-author of manuscripts based on NCDR Registry data.||2016 - Present|
|New Cardiovascular Horizons||Co-director of vein forum for consecutive years.||2016 - 2019|
|American College Cardiology||Panelist for Session on topics including venous disease.||2016 - Present|
|New Cardiovascular Horizons - Vein Forum||Co-chair and organizer of Vein Forum.||2016 - 2019|
|Global Vascular Digest||Guest Editor to Vascular journal.||2016|
|Institutional Review Board, Yale University||Reviewer||2014|
|Clinical Cardiology||Reviewer||2014 - 2018|
|Yale University Data Safety Monitoring Boards||Fantom II Trial Data Safety Monitoring Board, Spectranetics ISR trial DSMB, Neuro-TAVR Study DSMB, TOBA-BTK Study DSMB.||2014 - 2019|