Apply for an Undergraduate Research Fellowship
How will you shape the future of research?
Women’s Health Research at Yale is an interdisciplinary research center based in the School of Medicine. We initiate and support studies on the health of women conducted by Yale faculty across medical and behavioral disciplines. WHRY translates research data for use by the medical community and the general public.
Mentored training opportunities for Yale undergraduate students support developing interests in medical research that focus on the health of women, and on the role of sex and gender in health outcomes.
Fellows interact directly with WHRY Director Carolyn M. Mazure, Ph.D. in an ongoing seminar on the health of women, and Research Fellows have the option of receiving course credit.
Fellowships are currently conducted remotely for Opportunities 1 and 2 (below), however pending Yale COVID-19 guidelines for the 2023-2024 academic year, placement may be possible in laboratory and clinical settings (Opportunity 3).
Fellowship Opportunities for the 2023-24 School Year
- Mentored experience with WHRY’s Communications staff in writing and directing our student-led blog, “Why Didn’t I Know This;” social media messaging on the health of women; writing and submitting external op-ed essays; and learning about creative media.
- Mentored experience with Yale School of Medicine faculty clinicians to investigate and integrate new health data on women and sex-and-gender into the YSM curriculum. Fellows interact directly with faculty to advance WHRY’s initiative of ensuring that the next generation of medical providers and researchers understand how sex and gender influence health. Through this process, Fellows learn the latest information on the intersection of biology and sex-and-gender across various medical conditions.
- Pending changes to Yale COVID-19 guidelines: Mentored research experiences on varied health topics which align with student interests. Specific activities include directed readings, learning about ethical considerations in the conduct of human research, attending research seminars and laboratory meetings, shadowing clinical faculty and research staff dedicated to women’s health, evaluating scientific literature, and learning how to function as part of an interdisciplinary team.
Fellowship Responsibilities and Requirements
- Fellowships are offered during the academic year
- Fellows will be asked to commit a minimum of six hours per week to the program
- Applicants must be actively enrolled undergraduate students in Yale College
How to Apply
Please prepare the following application materials in PDF format:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of interest in training related to the health of women and/or sex and gender differences in health (maximum 300 words, double spaced)
- Undergraduate Transcript (can be unofficial)
- Email completed applications to email@example.com with Subject Line, “WHRY Fellowship Application 2023-2024” by Friday, April 14, 2022.
Qualified applicants will be invited to a Zoom group interview session that will take place in late April/early May. Notice of final decisions and accepted applications will be distributed in June.
Key Dates for 2023
- April 14, 2023: Application Deadline
- April-May 2023: Group Interview Sessions via Zoom
- June 30, 2023: Decision Notices
- Fall 2023: Fellowship Begins