Gilbert Moeckel MD, PhD, FASN
Associate Professor of Pathology; Director, Renal Pathology and Electron Microscopy Laboratory; Director, Renal & Genitourinary Fellowship Program
Progression of renal fibrosis; progression of chronic kidney disease; acute kidney injury; regenerative medicine; acute tubular injury repair
The following projects are currently ongoing in the Moeckel lab:
1. Role of intrinsic progenitor cells/pericytes in tubular injury repair
2. Epigenetic mechanisms of Diabetic Nephropathy progression
3. Role of inorganic phosphate in vascular stiffness
4. Aldosterone-dependent mechanisms of fibronectin synthesis in kidney fibroblasts.
My lab studies the molecular mechanisms of fibrosis in the kidney and factors that lead to progression of fibrosis in diabetic nephropathy. We are also studying the role of adult stem cells in repair of acute kidney injury.
Extensive Research Description
- Palmer MB, Vichot AA, Cantley LG, Moeckel GW. Quantification and localization of M2 macrophages in human kidneys with acute tubular injury. Int J Neph Ren Dis. 2014;7:415-419
- Huen SC, Huynh L, Marlier A, Lee Y, Moeckel GW, Cantley LG.
GM-CSF Promotes Macrophage Alternative Activation after Renal Ischemic/Reperfusion Injury. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2014 Nov 11.
- Chen D, Chen Z, Zhang Y, Park C, Al-Omari A, Moeckel GW. Role of medullary progenitor cells in epithelial cell migration and proliferation. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2014 Jul 1;307(1):F64-74.
- Shibata S, Rinehart J, Zhang J, Moeckel G, Castaneda-Bueno M, Stiegler AL, Boggon TJ, Gamba G, Lifton RP. Mineralocorticoid receptor phosphorylation regulates ligand binding and renal response to volume depletion and hyperkalemia. Cell Metab. 2013;18:660-71.
- Mason S, Hader C, Marlier A, Moeckel G, Cantley LG. Met activation is required for early cytoprotection after ischemis injury. J AM Soc Nephrol, 2014;25:329-37.
- Dong Chen, Zhiyong Chen, Chanyoung Park, Michael Centrella, Thomas McCarthy, Li Chen, Ahmed Al-Omari and Gilbert W. Moeckel. Aldosterone Stimulates Fibronectin Synthesis in Renal Fibroblasts Through Mineralocorticoid Receptor-dependent and independent Mechanisms. Gene, 2013, Nov 15;531:23-30
- Huen SC, Moeckel GW, Cantley LG. Macrophage-specific deletion of transforming growth factor-ß1 does not prevent renal fibrosis after severe ischemia-reperfusion or obstructive injury. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2013;305: F477-84.
- Lemaire M, Frémeaux-Bacchi V, Schaefer F, Choi M, Tang WH, Le Quintrec M, Fakhouri F, Taque S, Nobili F, Martinez F, Ji W, Overton JD, Mane SM, Nürnberg G, Altmüller J, Thiele H, Morin D, Deschenes G, Baudouin V, Llanas B, Collard L, Majid MA, Simkova E, Nürnberg P, Rioux-Leclerc N, Moeckel GW, Gubler MC, Hwa J, Loirat C, Lifton RP. Recessive mutations in DGKE cause atypical hemolytic-uremic syndrome. Nature Genetcs, 2013;45:531-6.
- Seo-Mayer P, Kenney B, McNamara J, Stein J, Moeckel GW. Hematuria and decreased kidney function as initial signs of acute B-cell lymphoblastic leukemia. Am J Kidney Dis. 2010 Nov;56(5):1001-5.
- Li Zhang, Dong Chen, Zhonghai Chen, and Gilbert W. Moeckel. Hypertonicity-induced Mitochondrial Membrane Permeability in Renal Medullary Interstitial Cells: Protective Role of Osmolytes. Cell Physiol Biochem 2010;25:753-760.