Members of Yale Plastic Surgery provide special expertise that encompasses the entire breadth of reconstructive, extirpative and cosmetic plastic surgery. All physicians provide skilled management of skin cancers, maxillo–facial and extremity trauma, and traumatic and chronic wound–care problems. In addition, each faculty member has developed specialized foci of interest to complement programmatic efforts in a number of areas within reconstructive and cosmetic plastic surgery.
- The Craniofacial Center is an internationally recognized multidisciplinary program coordinated through the section. Eighteen different disciplines are represented in the center, which is designed to treat congenital, traumatic, tumor and vascular anomalies of the head and neck region. Comprehensive care management, including diagnosis, surgical and postoperative treatment, are coordinated for the most complex and rare deformities, as well as frequently observed clinical problems such as cleft of the lip and palate.
- The Yale Hand and Microsurgery Program offers the latest techniques and specialized expertise in the re–plantation of amputated digits or extremities. Reconstructive aspects of ablative surgery about the head and neck, extremities and problem wounds in the thorax, abdomen and perineum are also offered. Hand surgery and occupational disorders are coordinated through a multidisciplinary effort directed not only towards traumatic and degenerative disorders of the upper extremities, but also the understanding and treatment of occupation–related disorders. In this program, problems developed in the workplace, including pain and injury related to repetitive tasks are comprehensively addressed.
- The Problem Wound Program coordinates multidisciplinary management of difficult–to–treat problem wounds in the inpatient and outpatient setting, stressing cost–effective and definitive care management.
- A Cosmetic Surgery Center is offered, which encompasses the breadth of cosmetic surgical programs to include endoscopic surgery, face and breast surgery, facial rejuvenation, body contouring, post–bariatric weight loss, body resculpturing, and the most advanced surgical and nonsurgical skin care regimens. Multiple novel and highly effective cosmetic surgical treatments have been developed in this center.
- The Oculoplastic and Orbital Surgery Program focuses on the complete and detailed treatment of eyelid tumors, traumatic and atrophic deformities of the eyelid and orbit, and cosmetic surgical concerns.
- The Breast Reconstruction Surgery Program offers comprehensive management of breast disorders, including reconstruction of the breast following tumor removal, reduction of the breast, and cosmetic enlargement of the breast. This program is coordinated with the Yale–New Haven Breast Center and offers comprehensive and definitive treatment using the latest techniques. Management includes microsurgery and endoscopic surgery, where appropriate.
Special services offered by this section include:
- Craniofacial surgery
- Microsurgery replantation, microvascular reconstruction, free–flap surgical techniques
- Hand surgery
- Skin bank
- Problem wound care
- Cosmetic surgery
- Oculoplastic and orbital surgery
- Breast surgery and breast reconstruction
- Body contouring
- Facial aesthetics
Disorders treated by this section include:
- Maxillo–facial and extremity trauma
- Occupational disorders of the upper extremity
- Head and neck tumors
- Skin cancer and melanoma
- Vascular anomalies
- Congenital malformations of the skull and face