Demyelinating Diseases; Magnetic Resonance Imaging; Multiple Sclerosis; Neurology; Neurodegenerative Diseases; Autoimmune Diseases of the Nervous System
Neurology: Pitt Lab
Dr. Pitt's laboratory research focuses on neurodegenerative mechanisms in MS. In his projects he uses multiple approaches including inducible pluripotent stem cell-derived, patient-specific neuronal cultures, advanced histopathological analysis of brain tissue and ultra-highfield MR imaging of MS patients.
Lessons learned from fatal progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy in a patient with multiple sclerosis treated with natalizumab.
Boster AL, Nicholas JA, Topalli I, Kisanuki YY, Pei W, Morgan-Followell B, Kirsch CF, Racke MK, Pitt D. Lessons learned from fatal progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy in a patient with multiple sclerosis treated with natalizumab. JAMA Neurology 2013, 70:398-402. 2013
Efficacy, safety, and cost-effectiveness of glatiramer acetate in the treatment of relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis.
Boster A, Bartoszek MP, O'Connell C, Pitt D, Racke M. Efficacy, safety, and cost-effectiveness of glatiramer acetate in the treatment of relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis. Therapeutic Advances In Neurological Disorders 2011, 4:319-32. 2011
Imaging cortical lesions in multiple sclerosis with ultra-high-field magnetic resonance imaging.
Pitt D, Boster A, Pei W, Wohleb E, Jasne A, Zachariah CR, Rammohan K, Knopp MV, Schmalbrock P. Imaging cortical lesions in multiple sclerosis with ultra-high-field magnetic resonance imaging. Archives Of Neurology 2010, 67:812-8. 2010
Dysmyelinated axons in shiverer mice are highly vulnerable to alpha-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methylisoxazole-4-propionic acid (AMPA) receptor-mediated toxicity.
Pitt D, Gonzales E, Cross AH, Goldberg MP. Dysmyelinated axons in shiverer mice are highly vulnerable to alpha-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methylisoxazole-4-propionic acid (AMPA) receptor-mediated toxicity. Brain Research 2010, 1309:146-54. 2010
Glutamate uptake by oligodendrocytes: Implications for excitotoxicity in multiple sclerosis.
Pitt D, Nagelmeier IE, Wilson HC, Raine CS. Glutamate uptake by oligodendrocytes: Implications for excitotoxicity in multiple sclerosis. Neurology 2003, 61:1113-20. 2003
Multiple sclerosis: altered glutamate homeostasis in lesions correlates with oligodendrocyte and axonal damage.
Werner P, Pitt D, Raine CS. Multiple sclerosis: altered glutamate homeostasis in lesions correlates with oligodendrocyte and axonal damage. Annals Of Neurology 2001, 50:169-80. 2001
Glutamate excitotoxicity in a model of multiple sclerosis.
Pitt D, Werner P, Raine CS. Glutamate excitotoxicity in a model of multiple sclerosis. Nature Medicine 2000, 6:67-70. 2000
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Kaunzner UW, Kang Y, Zhang S, Morris E, Yao Y, Pandya S, Hurtado Rua SM, Park C, Gillen KM, Nguyen TD, Wang Y, Pitt D, Gauthier SA: Quantitative susceptibility mapping identifies inflammation in a subset of chronic multiple sclerosis lesions. Brain. 2019 Jan 1. PMID: 30561514
- Pitt D, Ponath G: Astrocytes play a crucial role in the formation and evolution of MS lesions - Yes. Mult Scler. 2019 Jan; 2018 Aug 23. PMID: 30136895
- Ponath G, Lincoln MR, Levine-Ritterman M, Park C, Dahlawi S, Mubarak M, Sumida T, Airas L, Zhang S, Isitan C, Nguyen TD, Raine CS, Hafler DA, Pitt D: Enhanced astrocyte responses are driven by a genetic risk allele associated with multiple sclerosis. Nat Commun. 2018 Dec 17; 2018 Dec 17. PMID: 30559390
- Deh K, Ponath GD, Molvi Z, Parel GT, Gillen KM, Zhang S, Nguyen TD, Spincemaille P, Ma Y, Gupta A, Gauthier SA, Pitt D, Wang Y: Magnetic susceptibility increases as diamagnetic molecules breakdown: Myelin digestion during multiple sclerosis lesion formation contributes to increase on QSM. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2018 Nov; 2018 Mar 8. PMID: 29517817
- Gillen KM, Mubarak M, Nguyen TD, Pitt D: Significance and In Vivo Detection of Iron-Laden Microglia in White Matter Multiple Sclerosis Lesions. Front Immunol. 2018; 2018 Feb 19. PMID: 29515576
- Ponath G, Park C, Pitt D: The Role of Astrocytes in Multiple Sclerosis. Front Immunol. 2018; 2018 Feb 19. PMID: 29515568
- Giles DA, Washnock-Schmid JM, Duncker PC, Dahlawi S, Ponath G, Pitt D, Segal BM: Myeloid cell plasticity in the evolution of central nervous system autoimmunity. Ann Neurol. 2018 Jan; 2018 Jan 14. PMID: 29283442
- Wang Y, Spincemaille P, Liu Z, Dimov A, Deh K, Li J, Zhang Y, Yao Y, Gillen KM, Wilman AH, Gupta A, Tsiouris AJ, Kovanlikaya I, Chiang GC, Weinsaft JW, Tanenbaum L, Chen W, Zhu W, Chang S, Lou M, Kopell BH, Kaplitt MG, Devos D, Hirai T, Huang X, Korogi Y, Shtilbans A, Jahng GH, Pelletier D, Gauthier SA, Pitt D, Bush AI, Brittenham GM, Prince MR: Clinical quantitative susceptibility mapping (QSM): Biometal imaging and its emerging roles in patient care. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2017 Oct; 2017 Mar 10. PMID: 28295954
- Nylander AN, Ponath GD, Axisa PP, Mubarak M, Tomayko M, Kuchroo VK, Pitt D, Hafler DA: Podoplanin is a negative regulator of Th17 inflammation. JCI Insight. 2017 Sep 7; 2017 Sep 7. PMID: 28878118
- Ponath G, Ramanan S, Mubarak M, Housley W, Lee S, Sahinkaya FR, Vortmeyer A, Raine CS, Pitt D: Myelin phagocytosis by astrocytes after myelin damage promotes lesion pathology. Brain. 2017 Feb; 2016 Dec 21. PMID: 28007993
- Cao Y, Nylander A, Ramanan S, Goods BA, Ponath G, Zabad R, Chiang VL, Vortmeyer AO, Hafler DA, Pitt D: CNS demyelination and enhanced myelin-reactive responses after ipilimumab treatment. Neurology. 2016 Apr 19; 2016 Mar 16. PMID: 26984943
- Stüber C, Pitt D, Wang Y: Iron in Multiple Sclerosis and Its Noninvasive Imaging with Quantitative Susceptibility Mapping. Int J Mol Sci. 2016 Jan 14; 2016 Jan 14. PMID: 26784172
- Housley WJ, Pitt D, Hafler DA: Biomarkers in multiple sclerosis. Clin Immunol. 2015 Nov; 2015 Jul 2. PMID: 26143623
- Wisnieff C, Ramanan S, Olesik J, Gauthier S, Wang Y, Pitt D: Quantitative susceptibility mapping (QSM) of white matter multiple sclerosis lesions: Interpreting positive susceptibility and the presence of iron. Magn Reson Med. 2015 Aug; 2014 Aug 18. PMID: 25137340
- Orack JC, Deleidi M, Pitt D, Mahajan K, Nicholas JA, Boster AL, Racke MK, Comabella M, Watanabe F, Imitola J: Concise review: modeling multiple sclerosis with stem cell biological platforms: toward functional validation of cellular and molecular phenotypes in inflammation-induced neurodegeneration. Stem Cells Transl Med. 2015 Mar; 2015 Jan 15. PMID: 25593207
- Guerau-de-Arellano M, Liu Y, Meisen WH, Pitt D, Racke MK, Lovett-Racke AE: Analysis of miRNA in Normal Appearing White Matter to Identify Altered CNS Pathways in Multiple Sclerosis. J Autoimmune Disord. 2015. PMID: 26894232
- Stern JN, Yaari G, Vander Heiden JA, Church G, Donahue WF, Hintzen RQ, Huttner AJ, Laman JD, Nagra RM, Nylander A, Pitt D, Ramanan S, Siddiqui BA, Vigneault F, Kleinstein SH, Hafler DA, O'Connor KC: B cells populating the multiple sclerosis brain mature in the draining cervical lymph nodes. Sci Transl Med. 2014 Aug 6. PMID: 25100741
- Soltys J, Knight J, Scharf E, Pitt D, Mao-Draayer Y: IFN-β alters neurotrophic factor expression in T cells isolated from multiple sclerosis patients - implication of novel neurotensin/NTSR1 pathway in neuroprotection. Am J Transl Res. 2014; 2014 May 15. PMID: 24936223
- Chen W, Gauthier SA, Gupta A, Comunale J, Liu T, Wang S, Pei M, Pitt D, Wang Y: Quantitative susceptibility mapping of multiple sclerosis lesions at various ages. Radiology. 2014 Apr; 2013 Nov 18. PMID: 24475808