The Medical Educator of Tomorrow: Embracing Educational Change for Enhanced Teaching and Learning
Thursday April 10, 2014 - MERC/AAMC Workshops
Medical Education Research Certificate (MERC) Workshops
Two pre-conference Medical Education Research Certificate (MERC) workshops will be offered this year. The Medical Education Research Certificate (MERC) program is intended to provide medical educators with the knowledge necessary to understand the purposes and processes of medical education research so that they become informed consumers of the medical education research literature, and effective collaborators in medical education research. The program is open to all who are interested in improving their educational research skills, and is targeted to those with a background in medical education but relatively less experience in conducting and collaborating in educational research.
"Questionnaire Design and Survey Research" Thursday, April 10th 8:00am to 11:00am
Janet Hafler, EdD
This workshop will provide some basic principles in questionnaire/survey design and give workshop participants an opportunity for hands-on experience designing a questionnaire. Upon Completion of this workshop participants will be able to:
- Design a blueprint for a survey/questionnaire appropriate to their own application.
- Construct and edit questions to avoid common problems in wording and framing.
- Select an appropriate response format from a menu of alternatives.
- Design the overall format of the survey/questionnaire to facilitate data management and analysis
" Formulating Research Questions and Designing Studies" Thursday, April 10th 12:00pm to 3:00pm
Judy A. Shea, PhD
In this workshop participants will brainstorm research ideas, write and refine a measurable research question. They will discuss when IRB approval is required for their study. The basics of research design will be discussed and applied to their selected research question. Upon completion of this workshop participants will be able to:
- Write a FINER (feasible, interesting, novel, ethical, relevant) educational research question.
- Specify an educational research area of interest.
- Evaluate whether they need IRB approval for their study
- Select the correct design for their research question