Basal Ganglia; Behavior and Behavior Mechanisms; Central Nervous System; Cerebral Cortex
Public Health Interests
Adolescent Health; Aging; Obesity
Discovery to Cure Internship
I am interested in the neural mechanisms that underlie human decision-making, especially under risk and uncertainty, and in the way individual differences in decision-making are reflected by the neural activation. My studies combine functional MRI methods from cognitive neuroscience and experimental methods from behavioral economics to study the neural correlates of decision parameters and valuation processes. Similar paradigms are used in healthy young volunteers, as well as in adolescents, older adults and obese individuals in order to unravel changes in behavior and in neural activation that may be at the core of pathological behaviors such as extreme risk-taking in adolescents and overeating in obese individuals.
Specialized Terms: Decision-making; Value; Reward; Risk; Ambiguity; Functional MRI
Extensive Research Description
- Risk and ambiguity in the negative domain – examining behavior and neural activation for decision in terms of risk and ambiguity between outcomes that include losses.
- Behavior and neural correlates of decision under risk and ambiguity across the lifespan.
- Decision parameters in obese and lean individuals – comparing attitudes towards decision parameters such as risk and ambiguity in different BMI groups.
- Implicit learning of value - behavior and neural correlates of value learning in conditioning paradigms and their relationship to choice processes.
- Representation of food in obese and lean subjects - how is food that is depicted in movies perceived and how does it affect choice.
Neuroanatomy accounts for age-related changes in risk preferences
Grubb MA, Tymula A, Gilaie-Dotan S, Glimcher PW, Levy I (2016) Neuroanatomy accounts for age-related changes in risk preferences. Nature Communications 7: 13822
Neuroanatomy predicts individual risk attitudes.
Gilaie-Dotan S, Tymula A, Cooper N, Kable JW, Glimcher PW, and Levy I (2014). Neuroanatomy predicts individual risk attitudes. Journal of Neuroscience 34 (37): 12394-12401
Impaired associative learning with food rewards in obese women.
Zhang Z, Manson K, Schiller D, and Levy I (2014) Impaired associative learning with food rewards in obese women. Current Biology 24:1731-1736
Like cognitive function, decision making across the life span shows profound age-related changes.
Tymula A, Rosenberg Belmaker LA, Ruderman L, Glimcher PW, and Levy I (2013) Like cognitive function, decision making across the life span shows profound age-related changes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 110: 17143-17148
Adolescents' risk-taking behavior is driven by tolerance to ambiguity.
Tymula A, Rosenberg Belmaker LA, Roy AK, Ruderman L, Manson K, Glimcher PW, Levy I (2012) Adolescents' risk-taking behavior is driven by tolerance to ambiguity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science
Choice from non-choice: Predicting consumer preferences from blood oxygenation level-dependent signals obtained during passive viewing.
Levy I, Lazzaro SC, Rutledge RB, and Glimcher PW (2011) Choice from non-choice: Predicting consumer preferences from blood oxygenation level-dependent signals obtained during passive viewing. Journal of Neuroscience 31(1):118-125
Neural representation of subjective value under risk and ambiguity.
Levy I, Snell J, Nelson AJ, Rustichini A, and Glimcher PW (2010) Neural representation of subjective value under risk and ambiguity. Journal of Neurophysiology 103(2):1036-47
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Zhang Z, Fanning J, Ehrlich DB, Chen W, Lee D, Levy I: Distributed neural representation of saliency controlled value and category during anticipation of rewards and punishments. Nat Commun. 2017 Dec 4; 2017 Dec 4. PMID: 29203854
- Pushkarskaya H, Tolin D, Ruderman L, Henick D, Kelly JM, Pittenger C, Levy I: Value-based decision making under uncertainty in hoarding and obsessive- compulsive disorders. Psychiatry Res. 2017 Dec; 2017 Aug 24. PMID: 28864119
- Pushkarskaya H, Tolin DF, Henick D, Levy I, Pittenger C: Unbending mind: Individuals with hoarding disorder do not modify decision strategy in response to feedback under risk. Psychiatry Res. 2017 Nov 2; 2017 Nov 2. PMID: 29154203
- Logue MW, van Rooij SJH, Dennis EL, Davis SL, Hayes JP, Stevens JS, Densmore M, Haswell CC, Ipser J, Koch SBJ, Korgaonkar M, Lebois LAM, Peverill M, Baker JT, Boedhoe PSW, Frijling JL, Gruber SA, Harpaz-Rotem I, Jahanshad N, Koopowitz S, Levy I, Nawijn L, O'Connor L, Olff M, Salat DH, Sheridan MA, Spielberg JM, van Zuiden M, Winternitz SR, Wolff JD, Wolf EJ, Wang X, Wrocklage K, Abdallah CG, Bryant RA, Geuze E, Jovanovic T, Kaufman ML, King AP, Krystal JH, Lagopoulos J, Bennett M, Lanius R, Liberzon I, McGlinchey RE, McLaughlin KA, Milberg WP, Miller MW, Ressler KJ, Veltman DJ, Stein DJ, Thomaes K, Thompson PM, Morey RA: Smaller Hippocampal Volume in Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: A Multisite ENIGMA-PGC Study: Subcortical Volumetry Results From Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Consortia. Biol Psychiatry. 2017 Sep 20; 2017 Sep 20. PMID: 29217296
- Levy I: The Behavioral Economics of Anxiety. Biol Psychiatry. 2017 Jun 15. PMID: 28554389
- Grubb MA, Tymula A, Gilaie-Dotan S, Glimcher PW, Levy I: Neuroanatomy accounts for age-related changes in risk preferences. Nat Commun. 2016 Dec 13; 2016 Dec 13. PMID: 27959326
- Ruderman L, Ehrlich DB, Roy A, Pietrzak RH, Harpaz-Rotem I, Levy I: POSTTRAUMATIC STRESS SYMPTOMS AND AVERSION TO AMBIGUOUS LOSSES IN COMBAT VETERANS. Depress Anxiety. 2016 Jul; 2016 Mar 21. PMID: 27000639
- Zhang Z, Mendelsohn A, Manson KF, Schiller D, Levy I: Dissociating Value Representation and Inhibition of Inappropriate Affective Response during Reversal Learning in the Ventromedial Prefrontal Cortex. eNeuro. 2015 Nov-Dec; 2016 Jan 4. PMID: 26730406
- Pushkarskaya H, Smithson M, Joseph JE, Corbly C, Levy I: Neural Correlates of Decision-Making Under Ambiguity and Conflict. Front Behav Neurosci. 2015; 2015 Nov 27. PMID: 26640434
- Kable JW, Levy I: Neural markers of individual differences in decision-making. Curr Opin Behav Sci. 2015 Oct; 2015 Aug 20. PMID: 28413814
- Pushkarskaya H, Tolin D, Ruderman L, Kirshenbaum A, Kelly JM, Pittenger C, Levy I: Decision-making under uncertainty in obsessive-compulsive disorder. J Psychiatr Res. 2015 Oct; 2015 Aug 12. PMID: 26343609
- Hildebrandt T, Grotzinger A, Reddan M, Greif R, Levy I, Goodman W, Schiller D: Testing the disgust conditioning theory of food-avoidance in adolescents with recent onset anorexia nervosa. Behav Res Ther. 2015 Aug; 2015 Jun 20. PMID: 26131915
- Pietrzak RH, Averill LA, Abdallah CG, Neumeister A, Krystal JH, Levy I, Harpaz-Rotem I: Amygdala-hippocampal volume and the phenotypic heterogeneity of posttraumatic stress disorder: a cross-sectional study. JAMA Psychiatry. 2015 Apr. PMID: 25692480
- Manson KF, Levy I: "Selling" value: the influence of language on willingness-to-accept. PLoS One. 2015; 2015 Mar 30. PMID: 25822825
- Gilaie-Dotan S, Tymula A, Cooper N, Kable JW, Glimcher PW, Levy I: Neuroanatomy predicts individual risk attitudes. J Neurosci. 2014 Sep 10. PMID: 25209279
- Zhang Z, Manson KF, Schiller D, Levy I: Impaired associative learning with food rewards in obese women. Curr Biol. 2014 Aug 4; 2014 Jul 17. PMID: 25042588
- Levy I, Rosenberg Belmaker L, Manson K, Tymula A, Glimcher PW: Measuring the subjective value of risky and ambiguous options using experimental economics and functional MRI methods. J Vis Exp. 2012 Sep 19; 2012 Sep 19. PMID: 23022992
- Levy I, Lazzaro SC, Rutledge RB, Glimcher PW: Choice from non-choice: predicting consumer preferences from blood oxygenation level-dependent signals obtained during passive viewing. J Neurosci. 2011 Jan 5. PMID: 21209196
- Levy I, Snell J, Nelson AJ, Rustichini A, Glimcher PW: Neural representation of subjective value under risk and ambiguity. J Neurophysiol. 2010 Feb; 2009 Dec 23. PMID: 20032238