Deborah Denise Proctor MD
Professor of Medicine (Digestive Diseases); Medical Director, Inflammatory Bowel Disease Program; Site Director, Universidad del Valle, Cali, Columbia and Yale/Stanford, Johnson and Johnson Global Health Scholar Program; Board of Directors and Treasurer, Honduras Children's Project
Inflammatory Bowel Disease; Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia
1. Determining the genetics of IBD
2. Correlation of genotype with phenotypic expression in patients with IBD
3. Determining mood disorders in IBD and their relationship to disease activity
4. Treatment trial for depression in IBD and the relationship to quality of life.
5. Multi-center trials for new drugs in IBD
6. Assessing patient preference for medications in IBD
Our IBD Program group does clinical research with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) patients including determining the genetics of IBD; setting up databases to correlate genotype with phenotypic expression; assessing mood in relationship to disease activity; and assessing patient preferences for different medication usage in patients with IBD. We participate in several international multi-center trials for different medications and databases.
Our HHT group does clinical research in patients with hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia (HHT) who also have gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding.
Extensive Research Description
IBD - Our IBD Program group does clinical research with inflammatory bowel
disease (IBD) patients including determining the genetics of IBD;
setting up databases to correlate genotype with phenotypic expression;
assessing mood in relationship to disease activity; and assessing
patient preferences for different medication usage in patients with
IBD. We participate in several international multi-center trials for
different medications and databases.
HHT - Along with other members of our HHT Center, our group does clinical research in patients with hereditary hemorrhagic
telangiectasia (HHT) who also have gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding.
GI Match - Collaborating with other colleagues, we have done research on the GI fellowship match.
- Proctor DD. Missionary work – it’s about more than doing endoscopies. AGA Perspectives 2013;9(3):22-23.
- 37. Zhang CK, Hewett J, Hemming J, Grant T, Zhao H, Abraham C, Oikonomou I, Kanakia M, Cho JH, Proctor DD. The influence of depression on quality of life in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Inflammatory Bowel Diseases 2013;19(8):1732-1739.
- DeCross AJ, Proctor DD. The process of applying for gastroenterology fellowship. Gastroenterology 2012;142(7):1405-1408.
- Kenny EE, Pe’er I, Karban A, Ozelius L, Mitchell AA, Ng SM, Erazo M, Ostrer H, Abraham C, Abreu MT, Atzmon G, Barzilai N, Brant SR, Bressman S, Burns ER, Chowers Y, Clark LN, Darvasi A, Doheny D, Duerr RH, Eliakim R, Giladi N, Gregersen PK, Hakonarson H, Jones MR, McGovern DPB, Mulle J, Orr-Urtreger A, Proctor DD, Pulver A, Rotter JI, Silverberg MS, Ullman T, Warren ST, Waterman M, Zhang W, Bergman A, Mayer L, Katz S, Desnick RJ, Cho JH, Peter I. A genome-wide scan of Ashkenazi Jewish Crohn’s disease suggests novel susceptibility loci. PLoS Genetics 2012;8(3):e1002559.
- Proctor DD. Getting to the core of the women’s curriculum – it’s time to change the way we train our fellows. Digestive Diseases and Sciences 2011;56(3):626-628 (Editorial).
- Proctor DD, DeCross AJ, Willis CE, Jones TN, Pardi DS. The match: five years later. Gastroenterology 2011;140(1):15-18.
- DeCross AJ, Pardi DS, Proctor DD. Report of the AGA Institute Education and Training Committee Task Force on Physician Reentry. Gastroenterology 2010;139:e17-e26.
- Katzka DA, Proctor DD. Response to the Institute of Medicine’s recommendations on resident duty hours: the medical residency program and GI fellowship viewpoints. Gastroenterology 2009;136(4):1147-1148.
- Bhat M, Nguyen GC, Pare P, Lahaie R, Deslandres C, Bernard EJ, Aumais G, Jobin G, Wild G, Cohen A, Langelier D, Brant S, Dassopoulos T, McGovern D, Torres E, Duerr R, Regueiro M, Silverberg MS, Steinhart H, Griffiths AM, Elkadri A, Cho J, Proctor D, Goyette P, Rioux J, Bitton A. Phenotypic and genotypic characteristics of inflammatory bowel disease in French Canadians: comparison with a large North American repository. Am J Gastro 2009;104(9):2233-40.
- Silverberg MS, Cho JH, Rioux JD, McGovern DP, Wu J, Annese V, Achkar JP, Goyette P, Scott R, Xu W, Barmada MM, Klei L, Daly MJ, Abraham C, Bayless TM, Bossa F, Griffiths AM, Ippoliti AF, Lahaie RG, Latiano A, Pare P, Proctor DD, Regueiro MD, Steinhart AH, Targan SR, Schumm LP, Kistner EO, Lee AT, Gregersen PK, Rotter JI, Brant SR, Taylor KD, Roeder K, Duerr RH. Ulcerative colitis-risk loci on chromosomes 1p36 and 12q15 found by genome-wide association study. Nature Genetics 2009;41(2):216-220.