Caroline J Zeiss PhD, BVSc, DACVP
Professor of Comparative Medicine and Associate Professor of Ophthalmology and Visual Science; Director, Mouse Research Pathology Service; Unit Chief, Pathology
Molecular and cellular pathogenesis of retinal degeneration; neurobiology of movement disorders; phenotypes of genetically engineered mice; evolutionary biology of the eye; Veterinary Pathology; Mouse Phenotyping; Ocular pathology with emphasis on photoreceptor disorders; Neuroanatomy of age-related gait disorders; Signal transduction events during neuronal death; Comparative pathology with emphasis on murine neuroanatomy; Phenotying genetically altered rodents
Our lab focuses of the means by which specialized cells of the retina, photoreceptors, survive or die in a range of blinding disorders. Understanding these mechanisms provides insight into how they could be delayed to preserve sight. We are also interested in evolutionary morphology, particularly of the retina, in a wide range of vertebrate species.
- Beltran WA, Allore HG, Johnson E, Towle V, Tao W, Acland G, Aguirre GD, Zeiss CJ.The CREB1/ATF1 pathway is activated in photoreceptor degeneration and protection.
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009 Jul 30
- Wang J, Farr GW, Zeiss CJ, Rodriguez-Gil DJ, Wilson JH, Furtak K, Rutkowski DT, Kaufman RJ, Ruse CI, Yates JR 3rd, Perrin S, Feany MB, Horwich AL (2009) Progressive aggregation despite chaperone associations of a mutant SOD1-YFP in transgenic mice that develop ALS. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 106(5):1392-7.
- Bennicelli J, Wright JF, Komaromy A, Jacobs JB, Hauck B, Zelenaia O, Mingozzi F, Hui D, Chung D, Rex TS, Wei Z, Qu G, Zhou S, Zeiss C, Arruda VR, Acland GM, Dell'Osso LF, High KA, Maguire AM, Bennett J (2008) Reversal of blindness in animal models of leber congenital amaurosis using optimized AAV2-mediated gene transfer. Mol Ther. 16(3):458-65.
- Singh B, Wilson JH, Vasavada HH, Guo Z, Allore HG, Zeiss CJ (2007) Motor deficits and altered striatal gene expression in aphakia (ak) mice. Brain Res. 1185:283-92.
- Zeiss CJ, Allore HG, Towle V, Tao W (2006) CNTF induces dose-dependent alterations in retinal morphology in normal and rcd-1 canine retina. Exp Eye Res. 82(3):395-404.
- Klein RJ, Zeiss C, Chew EY, Tsai JY, Sackler RS, Haynes C, Henning AK, SanGiovanni JP, Mane SM, Mayne ST, Bracken MB, Ferris FL, Ott J, Barnstable C, Hoh J (2005) Complement factor H polymorphism in age-related macular degeneration. Science. 308(5720):385-9.