Research & Publications
Dr. O’Connor has focused his research on the interface between primary care and addiction medicine. This has included research examining the transfer of addiction treatment strategies from “specialty” settings to primary care and other general medical settings. His publications in this area include studies on the management of opioid withdrawal in primary care settings, opioid maintenance in primary care, and the use of naltrexone for treating alcohol dependence in primary care patients. He has been active in medical education on addiction both nationally and internationally and has served as the President of The Association for Medical Education and Research on Substance Abuse (AMERSA) and The American Board of Addiction Medicine (ABAM) and The Addiction Medicine Foundation.
Selected Recent Publications:
O’Connor, PG. Brief Interventions for Problem Drinking: Another Piece of the Puzzle. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2007; 146(3):223-225.
Martell BA, O’Connor PG, Kerns RD, Becker WC, Morales KH, Kosten TR, and Fiellin DA. Systematic Review: Opioid treatment for chronic back pain: prevalence, efficacy and association with addiction. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2007; 146:116-127.
Sledge, WH, Brown, KE, Levine, JM, Fiellin, DA, Chawarski, M, White, WD, O’Connor, PG. A Randomized Trial of Primary Intensive Care to Reduce Hospital Admissions in Patients with High Utilization of Inpatient Services. Disease Management. 2006; 9(6)328-338.
O’Connor PG. Problem Drinkers: Find Them, Keep Them, Don’t Lose Them, Treat Them. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2005; 20(1):96-97.
D’Onofrio G, MS; Pantalon MV, Degutis LC, Fiellin DA, O’Connor PG. Development and Implementation of an Emergency Practitioner-Performed Brief Intervention for Harmful and Hazardous Drinkers in the Emergency Department. Academic Emergency Medicine. 2005; 12(3):249-256.
O’Connor PG. Methods of Detoxification and Their Role in Managing Patients With Opioid Dependence. JAMA. 2005; 294(8):961-963.
Sullivan LE, Fiellin DA, O’Connor PG. The prevalence and impact of alcohol problems in major depression: A systematic review. American Journal ofMedicine. 2005; 118(4):330-341.
Kernan WE, Holmboe E, O’Connor PG. Assessing the teaching behaviors of ambulatory care preceptors. Academic Medicine. 2004; 79(11):1088-1094.
O’Malley S, Rounsaville BJ, Farren C, Namkoong K, Wu R, Robinson J, O’Connor PG. Initial and Maintenance Naltrexone for Alcohol dependence using primary care vs. specialty care: A nested sequence of three randomized trials. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2003; 163(14):1695-1704.
Kosten T, O’Connor PG. Current Concepts: Management of Drug and Alcohol Withdrawal. New England Journal of Medicine. 2003; 348(18):1786-1795.
Reid MC, Engles-Horton LL, Weber MB, Kerns RD, Rogers EL, O’Connor PG. Use of opioid medications for chronic noncancer pain syndromes in primary care. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2002; 17(3):173-9.
O’Connor PG. Treating opioid dependence—new data and new opportunities. The New England Journal of Medicine. 2000; 343(18):1332-4.
Fiellin DA, Reid MC, O’Connor PG. Screening for alcohol problems in primary care: A systematic review. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2000; 160(13):1977-89.
O’Connor PG, Fiellin DA. Pharmacologic treatment of heroin-dependent patients. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2000; 133(1):40-54.
D’Onofrio G, Fiellin DA, Pantalon MV, Chawarski MC, Owens P, Degutis LC, Busch SH, Bernstein SL, O’Connor PG. A brief intervention reduces hazardous and harmful drinking in emergency department patients. Annals of Emergency Medicine 2012, 60:181-192. PMID: 22459448.
Moore BA, Barry DT, Sullivan LE, O'Connor PG, Cutter CJ, Schottenfeld RS, Fiellin DA.Counseling and directly observed medication for primary care buprenorphine maintenance: a pilot study. Journal of Addiction Medicine 2012, 6(3):205-211. PMID: 22614936.
Tetrault JM, Moore BA, Barry DT, O’Connor PG, Schottenfeld R, Fiellin DA, Fiellin LE. Brief versus extended counseling along with buprenorphone/naloxone for HIV-infected opioid dependent patients. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 2012, 43(4):433-439. PMID: 22938914.
Fiellin DA, Barry DT, Sullivan LE, Cutter CJ, Moore BA, O’Connor PG, Schottenfeld RS. A randomized trial of cognitive behavioral therapy in primary care-based buprenorphine. American Journal of Medicine 2013, 126(1):74-9. PMID: 23260506.
O’Connor PG. Managing substance dependence as a chronic disease: is the glass half full or half empty? JAMA 2013, 310(11):1132-4. PMID: 24045739.
Edelman EJ, Chantarat T, Caffrey S, Chaudhry A, O'Connor PG, Weiss L, Fiellin DA, Fiellin LE. The impact of buprenorphine/naloxone treatment on HIV risk behaviors among HIV-infected, opioid-dependent patients. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 2014, 139:79-85. PMID: 24726429.
Gueorguieva R, Wu R, O’Connor PG, Weisner C, Fucito LM, Hoffman S, Mann K, O’Malley SS. Predictors of abstinence from heavy drinking during treatment in COMBINE and external validation in PREDICT. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 2014, 38(10):2647-2656. PMID: 25346505.
O’Connor PG, Sokol RJ, D’Onofrio G. Addiction medicine: the birth of a new discipline. JAMA Internal Medicine 2014, 174(11):1717-1718. PMID: 25201642.
Fiellin DA, Schottenfeld, RS, Cutter CJ, Moore BA, Barry DT, O’Connor PG. Primary care–based buprenorphine taper vs maintenance therapy for prescription opioid dependence: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Internal Medicine 2014, 174(12):1947-54. PMID: 25330017
Tetrault JM, O’Connor PG. Unhealthy alcohol use, including alcohol use disorder: Epidemiology, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, course assessment, and diagnosis. UpToDate 20
Bagley S, Peterson J, Cheng DM, Jose C, Quinn E, O’Connor PG, Walley AY. Overdose Education and Naloxone Rescue Kits for Family Members of Individuals Who Use Opioids: Characteristics, Motivations, and Naloxone Use. Substance Abuse 2015, 36(2):149-54. PMID: 25564892.
Fiellin D, Samet J, O’Connor PG. Addressing bias in observational studies of alcohol withdrawal syndrome: a call to the field. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 2015, 39(2):390. PMID: 25665029.
D'Onofrio G, O'Connor PG, Pantalon MV, Chawarski MC, Busch SH, Owens PH, Bernstein SL, Fiellin DA. Emergency department-initiated buprenorphine/naloxone treatment for opioid dependence: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2015, 313(16):1636-44. PMID: 25919527.
O’Connor PG. Alcohol use disorder. In Goldman-Cecil Medicine, 25th Edition, 2015:149-156.
Gueorguieva R, Wu R, Tsai W, O’Connor PG,Fucito L, Zhang H, O’Malley SS.An analysis of moderators in the COMBINE Study: Identifying subgroups of patients who benefit from acamprosate. European Neuropsychopharmacology. 2015 Oct;25(10):1586-99. PMID: 26141511.
Edelman EJ, Hansen NB, Cutter CJ, Danton, C, Fiellin LE, O'Connor PG, Williams EC, Maisto SA, Bryant K, Fiellin DA. Implementation of Integrated Stepped Care for Unhealthy Alcohol Use in HIV Clinics. Addiction Science and Clinical Practice. 2016 Jan 13, 11: 1. PMID: 26763048.
B.S., Union College, 1978
M.D., The Albany Medical College, 1982
M.P.H., Yale University School of Medicine, 1988
Internal Medicine Residency: The University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, 1982-1985
Chief Residency: The University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, 1985-1986
Fellowship: The Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program, Yale University, 1986-1988
Education & Training
- FellowYale University School of Medicine (1988)
- MPHYale University School of Medicine (1988)
- Board CertificationAB of Internal Medicine, Internal Medicine (1986)
- Chief ResidentUniversity of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry (1986)
- ResidentUniversity of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry (1985)
- MDAlbany Medical College (1982)
- BSUnion College, Biology (1978)
- Walk and Debrief 2nd Yr ScholarsBrentwood, United States 2020
- Dec 2nd-Interactive Overview of Program, Dec 3rd-1st Year Scholars Research in Progress, Dec 4th (2 sessions)-2nd Year Scholars Showcase (Mock CPDD Presentation by Scholars)Boston, United States 2019
- -Boston, United States 2019
- 2019 SGIM Glaser Award AddressWashington, United States 2019
- 2nd Year: Career Development & Job Search: Landing a Plum and Exceeding ExpectationsBoston, United States 2018
- Welcome Back and Panel Discussion with Early Career Investigators: Reflection on the Upside & ChallengesBoston, United States 2018
- 2nd Year: Group Debrief and Where Do We Go from Here?Boston, United States 2018
- What Worked Well And Not So Well/Pros and Cons of the Presentation?San Diego, United States 2018
- Fellowships Drive Competency Adoption Across Medical Training and PracticeNorth Bethesda, United States 2018
- 2nd Year: Career Development & Job Search: “Landing a Plum and Exceeding Expectations,” Panel Discussion: Early Career Investigators: “Reflection on the Upside & Challenges,” 2nd Year: “Group Debrief and Where do we go from here?”Boston, United States 2017
- Reducing the Impact of Substance Use Through Primary Care: From Research to PolicyWashington, United States 2017
- What Worked Well And Not So Well/Pros and Cons of the Presentation?Montreal, Canada 2017
- Drug Use, Addiction and HIV Research Scholars (DAHRS)Philadelphia, United States 2017
- What Happens to Compassion During an Opioid Epidemic?Boston, United States 2017
- Career Development & Job Search: Landing a Plum and Exceeding Expectations,” “Group Debrief and Where do we go from Here?Boston, United States 2016
- Health Systems Band Addiction: The Use and Misuse of Illegal SubstancesWashington, United States 2016
- An Evening of StorytellingWashington, United States 2016
- Grant Writing for Clinical InvestigatorsSan Juan, Puerto Rico 2016
- Mentor Training for Research FacultySan Juan, Puerto Rico 2016
- A Model Approach to Addiction Medical Education: Key ComponentsWashington, United States 2016
Honors & Recognition
|The President’s Award||American Board of Addiction Medicine (ABAM), The Addiction Medicine Foundation (AMF), The American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM)||2016|
|Dan Adams and Amanda Adams Professor of General Medicine Appointment||Yale University||2016|
|Distinguished Alumnus Award||Albany Medical College||2015|
|Dan Anderson Research Award||Butler Center for Research at the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation “Emergency Department-Initiated Buprenorphine/Naloxone Treatment for Opioid Dependence” (with co-authors)||2015|
|Election to Fellowship||American College of Physicians (ACP)||2008|
|SGIM/ACGIM Chief’s Recognition Award - First Awardee||30th Annual SGIM Meeting, Toronto, Canada||2007|
|Excellence in Mentorship Award||29th Annual AMERSA National Conference, Bethesda, MD||2005|
|The Commissioner’s AIDS Leadership Award - Central Medical Unit||State of Connecticut Department of Public Health||1991|
|Housestaff Teacher of the Year||The University of Rochester School of Medicine||1986|
|Magnum Cum Laude||Union College||1978|
|New York State Regents Scholar - 1974-1982||Union College & The Albany Medical College||1974|
|Executive Committee and Immediate Past-President, Association for Medical Education and Research in Substance Abuse (AMERSA)||Member||2011 - 2014|