Brett King, MD, PhD
Research & Publications
Dr. Brett King is Associate Professor of Dermatology, specializing in skin diseases recalcitrant to first-line therapies. He has pioneered the use of Janus kinase (JAK) inhibitors in dermatology, in particular for alopecia areata, vitiligo, atopic dermatitis, granuloma annulare, sarcoidosis, erosive lichen planus, and other disorders. He sees patients at Yale Dermatology-Middlebury.
Dr. King provides care of patients with all dermatologic conditions, with special interest in:
- atopic dermatitis (eczema)
- alopecia areata
- granuloma annulare
- lichen planus
- morphea, systemic sclerosis (scleroderma)
- erythema multiforme
- pruritus (itch)
- Drug-induced hypersensitivity syndrome (drug rash with eosinophilia and systemic symptoms)
He is experienced with the use of systemic medications including retinoids, methotrexate, cyclosporine, azathioprine (Imuran®), mycophenolate mofetil (Cellcept®), tofacitinib (Xeljanz®), baricitinib (Olumiant®), upadacitinib (Rinvoq®),ruxolitinib (Jakafi®), apremilast (Otezla®), and the ‘biologics’ (e.g. etanercept (Enbrel®), adalimumab (Humira®), infliximab (Remicade®), ustekinumab (Stelara®), sekucinumab (Cosentyx®), ixekizumab (Taltz®), IVIG, and rituximab (Rituxan®)), as well as phototherapy.
Dr. King is an investigator in numerous clinical trials. He lectures nationally and internationally and publishes extensively.
Dr. King received his B.A. at the University of California at Santa Cruz, his Ph.D. from Stanford University and his M.D. from Yale University School of Medicine. He completed medical internship at Massachusetts General Hospital and dermatology residency at Yale University School of Medicine.
Education & Training
- FellowshipYale-New Haven Hospital (2010)
- ResidencyYale-New Haven Hospital (2009)
- InternshipMassachusetts General Hospital (2006)
- MDYale University School of Medicine (2005)
- PhDStanford University, Chemistry (2000)
- BAUniversity of California at Santa Cruz, Chemistry (1992)
Honors & Recognition
|Patient Care Hero||American Academy of Dermatology (AAD)||2022|
Departments & Organizations
- Medical Dermatology
- Middlebury Dermatology
- Yale Medicine
- Yale Ventures