All PGY-1 residency candidates will be accepted through the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP). The Electronic Residency Application Service, ERAS is used for ALL PGY-1 residency applications.
Interviews are typically scheduled for Mondays
Generally accept 6-8 new residents per year
Required documents include:
- ERAS Common Application Form (CAF) / Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Official Medical School Transcript
- Three letters of recommendation
- A letter from the Dean of their medical school
- Official USMLE (or COMLEX) transcript
- ECFMG (Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates) status (if applicable)
- Personal Statement
International Medical Graduate
IMGs seeking entry into the Yale Pathology residency program should meet the following requirements:
- Passing USMLE scores on the first attempt. Note that you must have your official USMLE transcript sent. The ECFMG certificate does not substitute for this.
- At least one year of educational or clinical experience in the United States
- The ability to communicate clearly and effectively in English
- Graduation from medical school within the last eight years or full time attending patient care responsibilities in the United States within the last five years
- ECFMG certification prior to application
- Preferred: Ph.D. in a related field, in the United States
Visas: Yale-New Haven Hospital sponsors only J-1 visas for residents. This policy is not negotiable.
ALL questions about eligibility for application should be addressed to the Residency Program Coordinator.