Research & Publications
My academic background is in hematology. After training in internal medicine and hematology, I went on to post-doctoral work in clinical pathology to bolster our clinical and research activities.
Our laboratory research focuses on cell-based diagnostics relevant to the basic biology of hemostasis and inflammation. We have evaluated the role of thrombin and complement in platelet dysfunction following extracorporeal circulation, studies of metabolic changes during platelet storage, hypercoagulability in drug abuse, and platelet function under the control of growth factors.
We also seek to understand platelet kinetics in a variety of disorders using the non-invasive peripheral blood assay for reticulated platelets. Our collaborative focus on research additionally includes: murine disease models of platelet activation and kinetics; cell-based vascular risk associated with CPB; platelet physiology; and neutrophil markers for early recognition of sepsis.
These rewarding areas of investigation have seamlessly led to clinical investigation and educative endeavors, including becoming an author on the 4th and 5th editions of Hillman's Hematology in Clinical Practice (McGraw-Hill) and serving currently on the Board of Directors of the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) and as the chair of the ASCP Commission on Continuing Professional Development.
Education & Training
- Board CertificationAB of Pathology, Pathology (2014, recertified: 2014)
- Board CertificationAB of Pathology, Clinical Pathology (1994, recertified: 2014)
- FellowYale University School of Medicine (1992)
- FellowYale University School of Medicine (1990)
- Chief ResidentMaine Medical Center (1988)
- Board CertificationAB of Internal Medicine, Internal Medicine (1987)
- ResidentMaine Medical Center (1987)
- MDUniversity of Vermont (1984)
Honors & Recognition
|Past President||Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians & Scientists||2016|
|Michele D. Raible Lecturer||American Society for Clinical Pathology||2015|
|2013 President's Award||American Society for Clinical Pathology||2013|