Cardiology; Cardiovascular Diseases; England; Myocardial Infarction; Rwanda; Sweden; Global Health; Electronic Health Records
My research has centered on evaluating the use of evidence-based medicine on the diagnosis and management of patients with cardiovascular disease. I have sought to identify areas in clinical medicine with significant variation in care, use various methodologies to obtain and analyze the different strategies and outcomes, and provide a sound base of evidence on which to recommend clinical decisions. The methodologies include primary data collection, secondary data analysis, synthesis of results of various studies into clinically useful forms such as meta-analyses and cost-effectiveness analysis, qualitative studies, establishing clinical practice guidelines and data standards, and promoting quality assurance and improvement.
Specialized Terms: Cardiovascular outcomes; International comparisons; Large registries; Global health;
Extensive Research Description
Current projects include evaluating differences in the treatment and outcome of patients with myocardial infarction among the US, the UK, and Sweden, designing ways to evaluate hospital performance in treating patients with acute myocardial infarction through use of the electronic health record, and establishing quality performance standards for noninvasive cardiac imaging.
- McNamara RL, Wang Y, Partovian C, Montague J, Mody P, Eddy E, Krumholz HK, Bernheim SM. Development of a Hospital Outcome Measure Intended for Use With Electronic Health Records: 30-Day Risk-standardized Mortality After Acute Myocardial Infarction. Medical Care 2015; 53(9):818-826
- McNamara RL, Spatz ES , Kelley TA, Stowell C, Beltrame J, Heidenreich P, Gaju RT, Jernberg T, Jin TCS, Morgan L, Panigrahi B, Ruiz AR, Rumsfeld J, Sadwin L, Schoeberl M, Shahian D, Weston C, Yeh R, Lewin J. Standardized Outcome Measurement for Patients with Coronary Artery Disease: Consensus from the International Consortium for Health Outcomes Measurement (ICHOM). J Am Heart Assoc. 2015 May 19;4(5) DOI 10.1161/JAHA.115.001767
- Int J Cardiology. 2014; 175 (2):240-247
- Heart 2010:96:908-910
- Circulation 2008 117(8):1101-20. J Am Coll of Cardiol 2008 51(8):865-84.
- Am J of Cardiol 2007 Oct 15100(8):1227-32.
- Am Coll Cardiol. 2006;47:45-47.
- J Am Coll Cardiol 2006; 48 2141-2151
- Bradley EH, Herrin J, Wang Y, Barton BA, Webster TR, Mattera JA, Roumanis SA, Curtis JP, Nallamathou BK, Magid DJ, McNamara RL, Parkosewich J, Loeb JM, Krumholz HM. Strategies for reducing the door-to-balloon time in acute myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med. 2006 Nov 30;355(22):2308-20.