Deborah Denise Proctor MD
Professor of Medicine (Digestive Diseases); Medical Director, Inflammatory Bowel Disease Program; Site Director, Universidad del Valle, Cali, Columbia and Yale/Stanford, Johnson and Johnson Global Health Scholar Program; Board of Directors and Treasurer, Honduras Children's Project
Inflammatory Bowel Disease; Crohn's Disease; Ulcerative Colitis; Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia
1. Treating depression in patients with inflammatory bowel disease
2. Multi-center trials for new drugs in inflammatory bowel disease
3. Correlation of genotype with phenotypic expression in patients with inflammatory bowel disease
4. Global health training attitudes in trainees
Our IBD Program group does clinical research with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) patients including evaluating and treating depression in patients with inflammatory bowel disease and setting up databases to correlate genotype with phenotypic expression. We participate in several international multi-center trials for different medications and databases.
Our HHT group does clinical research in patients with hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia (HHT) who also have gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding.
Extensive Research Description
Inflammatory bowel disease - our IBD Program group does clinical research with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) patients including evaluating and treating depression in patients with inflammatory bowel disease and setting up databases to correlate genotype with phenotypic expression. We participate in several international multi-center trials for different medications and databases.
HHT - Along with other members of our HHT Center, our group does clinical research in patients with hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia (HHT) who also have gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding.
GI Match - Collaborating with other colleagues, we have done research on the GI fellowship match.
- 38. Faubion WA, Fletcher JG, O'Byrne S, Feagan BG, de Villiers WJS, Salzberg B, Plevy S, Proctor DD, Valentine JF, Higgins PD, Harris JM, Diehl L, Wright L, Tew GW, Luca D, Basu K, Keir ME. EMerging BiomARKers in inflammatory bowel disease (EMBARK) study identifies fecal calprotectin, serum MMP9 and serum IL-22 as a novel combination of biomarkers for Crohn's disease activity - role of cross-sectional imaging. American Journal of Gastroenterology 2013; 108:1891–1900; doi:10.1038/ajg.2013.354; published online 15 October 2013.
- Proctor DD. Missionary work – it’s about more than doing endoscopies. AGA Perspectives 2013;9(3):22-23.
- 37. Zhang CK, Hewett J, Hemming J, Grant T, Zhao H, Abraham C, Oikonomou I, Kanakia M, Cho JH, Proctor DD. The influence of depression on quality of life in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Inflammatory Bowel Diseases 2013;19(8):1732-1739.
- DeCross AJ, Proctor DD. The process of applying for gastroenterology fellowship. Gastroenterology 2012;142(7):1405-1408.
- Kenny EE, Pe’er I, Karban A, Ozelius L, Mitchell AA, Ng SM, Erazo M, Ostrer H, Abraham C, Abreu MT, Atzmon G, Barzilai N, Brant SR, Bressman S, Burns ER, Chowers Y, Clark LN, Darvasi A, Doheny D, Duerr RH, Eliakim R, Giladi N, Gregersen PK, Hakonarson H, Jones MR, McGovern DPB, Mulle J, Orr-Urtreger A, Proctor DD, Pulver A, Rotter JI, Silverberg MS, Ullman T, Warren ST, Waterman M, Zhang W, Bergman A, Mayer L, Katz S, Desnick RJ, Cho JH, Peter I. A genome-wide scan of Ashkenazi Jewish Crohn’s disease suggests novel susceptibility loci. PLoS Genetics 2012;8(3):e1002559.
- Proctor DD. Getting to the core of the women’s curriculum – it’s time to change the way we train our fellows. Digestive Diseases and Sciences 2011;56(3):626-628 (Editorial).
- Proctor DD, DeCross AJ, Willis CE, Jones TN, Pardi DS. The match: five years later. Gastroenterology 2011;140(1):15-18.
- DeCross AJ, Pardi DS, Proctor DD. Report of the AGA Institute Education and Training Committee Task Force on Physician Reentry. Gastroenterology 2010;139:e17-e26.
- Katzka DA, Proctor DD. Response to the Institute of Medicine’s recommendations on resident duty hours: the medical residency program and GI fellowship viewpoints. Gastroenterology 2009;136(4):1147-1148.
- Bhat M, Nguyen GC, Pare P, Lahaie R, Deslandres C, Bernard EJ, Aumais G, Jobin G, Wild G, Cohen A, Langelier D, Brant S, Dassopoulos T, McGovern D, Torres E, Duerr R, Regueiro M, Silverberg MS, Steinhart H, Griffiths AM, Elkadri A, Cho J, Proctor D, Goyette P, Rioux J, Bitton A. Phenotypic and genotypic characteristics of inflammatory bowel disease in French Canadians: comparison with a large North American repository. Am J Gastro 2009;104(9):2233-40.