Dr. McKenzie performs research on asylum and refugee medicine.
Extensive Research Description
In October, the Yale Center for Asylum Medicine, together with Physicians for Human Rights, hosted a national conference entitled: Introduction to Forensic Documentation of Trauma: Evaluating Immigrant Survivors of Torture and Ill Treatment
Physical and psychological evaluations can help survivors fleeing persecution rebuild their lives safely in the United States. The training provided an opportunity for health professionals to learn from experienced psychologists, physicians, and legal experts about the skills necessary to document evidence of torture and other human rights abuses.
Physicians, psychologists, licensed graduate/clinical social workers and licensed graduate/clinical professional counselors gathered at the Brady Center. Highlights of the conference included:
- Human rights law, immigration law, and the importance of health professionals and forensic documentation in the immigration process
- Physical and psychological evidence of torture and other human rights abuses
- Effective medical‐legal documentation, including affidavit writing and oral testimony
- Best practices for collaboration between health professionals and attorneys
Supporting Human Rights, One Patient at a Time
Supporting Human Rights, One Patient at a Time BMJ 2016;355:i6798
- A Modern Ars Moriendi McKenzie, K.C., A Modern Ars Moriendi. New England Journal of Medicine. (2016) 374:2107-2109
- McKenzie K. Medical Evaluation of Asylum Seekers. In: Annamalai A, Ed. Refugee Health Care. Springer Science and Business Media New York, NY. 2014.
Metabolic syndrome in obese patients with binge-eating disorder in primary care clinics: a cross-sectional study.
Barnes RC, Boeka AB, McKenzie KC, Genao I, Garcia R, Ellman MS, Ellis PE Masheb RM, Grilo CM. Metabolic syndrome in obese patients with binge-eating disorder in primary care clinics: a cross-sectional study. Prim Care Companion CNS Disord. 2011;13(2)
- Domestic Violence in an Inpatient Population McKenzie, K.C., McCarthy, E.P., Burns, R.B. and Freund, K.M. Domestic Violence in an Inpatient Population. Journal of General Internal Medicine. (1998) 13:277-279