On this page
- Women, Race & Class (penguinrandomhouse.com | Angela Yvonne Davis)
- The Diversity Promise: Success in Academic Surgery and Medicine Through Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion First Edition by Michael W Mulholland MD PhD (Author), Erika Adams Newman (Author)
- Butler PD, Longaker MT, Britt LD. Major deficit in the number of underrepresented minority academic surgeons persists. Ann Surg. 2008;248(5):704-711.
- McCarthy M. The Association of Women Surgeons. A historical perspective 1981 to 1992. Arch Surg. 1993;128:633–636.
- Tesch BW, Helwig HM, Nattinger AL. AB promotion of women physicians in academic medicine. Glass ceiling or sticky floor? JAMA. 1995;273:1022–1025.
- -Silver JS, Bank CS, Bhatnagar AM, et al. Where are the women? The underrepresentation of women physicians among recognition award recipients from medical specialty societies. PM R. 2017;9:804–815.
- Abelson JS, Symer MM, Yeo HL, et al. Surgical time out: Our counts are still short on racial diversity in academic surgery. Am J Surg. 2018;215(4):542-548.
- Berry C, Gantt N. Shattering Glass Ceilings: Three Black Women Surgeons Ascend to Chairs of Departments of Surgery. Ann Surg. 2022 Oct 1;276(4):e199-e204. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0000000000005604. Epub 2022 Jul 18. PMID: 35848734.
- University of Wisconsin Inclusion Resources
- Peck CJ, Roberts SE, Ly CL, Hsia HC, Aarons CB, Guerra CE, Butler PD. Embracing Allyship in Academic Surgery: How All Surgeons Can Become Effective Champions for Change. J Am Coll Surg. 2022 Aug 1;235(2):371-374
- Butler PD, Fowler JC, Meer E, Rosen IM, Reyes IM, Berns JS. A Blueprint for Increasing Ethnic and Racial Diversity in US Residency Training Programs. Academic Medicine. 2022 Nov 1;97(11):1632-1636.
- Komaromy M, Grumbach K, Drake M, et al. The role of black and Hispanic physicians in providing health care for underserved populations. N Engl J Med. 1996;334:1305–1310.
- Appah-Sampong A, Zakrison T, Vela M, Saunders M, Zhang L, Dorsey C. Evaluating the Thematic Nature of Microaggression among Racial and Ethnic Minority Surgeons. J Am Coll Surg. 2022 Aug 1;235(2):210-216.