The clinical research at the Aortic Institute spans over two decades and includes thousands of patient cases and hundreds of published scientific studies.
A sampling of our milestones at the Aortic Institute include the following:
- Established one of the largest thoracic aortic databases and developed a massive tissue bank for thoracic aortic specimens.
- Determined the size at which thoracic aorta ruptures or dissects, permitting evidence based criteria for surgical intervention, which are now used throughout the world
- Identified the inherited, genetic nature of thoracic aortic aneurysm and dissection
- Developed the first general blood screening test for aortic aneurysm – The “RNA Signature” test for thoracic aortic aneurysm.
- Located specific mutations that underlie thoracic aneurysm disease
- Identified the benefit of statin drugs in preventing the progression and complications of aortic aneurysm
- Developed a novel spinal “cooling catheter” to prevent paraplegia in aortic surgery
- Demonstrated the safety of “deep hypothermic circulatory arrest” for brain preservation during aortic arch surgery
- Developed a comprehensive whole-exome sequencing test for all mutations known to cause aortic aneurysm – done from your saliva.