Molecular Virology: Virology Laboratories
Because microorganisms allow experiments on the order of hundreds (or even thousands) of generations, microbes provide a uniquely powerful system to study evolution in action. My laboratory uses microorganisms (RNA viruses, DNA viruses, bacteria) as model systems to address hypotheses in ecological and evolutionary theory, especially questions regarding the evolution of genetic exchange (sex), virus ecology and evolution, host-parasite interactions, and the evolution of infectious disease. I use an inter-disciplinary approach to investigate these processes, employing techniques from microbiology, population genetics, genomics, molecular biology, and mathematical modeling.
Extensive Research Description
Paul Turner is an associate
professor of ecology and evolutionary biology and is the director and faculty
member for the graduate program in microbiology for Yale University School of
Medicine. Dr. Turner’s research interests include: evolutionary biology,
evolutionary medicine, experimental evolution, infectious disease,
microbiology, phage therapy, RNA virus, vector borne disease, vesicular
stomatitus virus and virology. He uses an inter-disciplinary approach in his
research laboratory to develop hypotheses related to the evolutionary theory.
Paul Turner received his Ph.D. from Michigan State University. He is a member of the committee on minority education for the American Society for Microbiology and was elected chair of 2013 Gordon Research Conference on Microbial Population Biology. He served as associate editor for Evolution: International Journal of Organic Evolution and is the author to the paper; “Predicting virus evolution: the relationship between genetic robustness and evolvability of thermotolerance.”
Predicting virus evolution: the relationship between genetic robustness and evolvability of thermotolerance
Ogbunugafor, C.B., R.C. McBride and P.E. Turner. 2009. Predicting virus evolution: the relationship between genetic robustness and evolvability of thermotolerance. Cold Spring Harbor Symposia on Quantitative Biology 74:xx-xx. (In press).
Evolutionary genomics of host adaptation in vesicular stomatitis virus.
Remold SK, Rambaut A, Turner PE. Evolutionary genomics of host adaptation in vesicular stomatitis virus. Molecular Biology And Evolution 2008, 25:1138-47.
Robustness promotes evolvability of thermotolerance in an RNA virus.
McBride RC, Ogbunugafor CB, Turner PE. Robustness promotes evolvability of thermotolerance in an RNA virus. BMC Evolutionary Biology 2008, 8:231.
Virus population extinction via ecological traps.
Dennehy JJ, Friedenberg NA, Yang YW, Turner PE. Virus population extinction via ecological traps. Ecology Letters 2007, 10:230-40.
Evolution of host specificity drives reproductive isolation among RNA viruses.
Duffy S, Burch CL, Turner PE. Evolution of host specificity drives reproductive isolation among RNA viruses. Evolution; International Journal Of Organic Evolution 2007, 61:2614-22.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Chan BK, Turner PE, Kim S, Mojibian HR, Elefteriades JA, Narayan D: Phage treatment of an aortic graft infected with Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Evol Med Public Health. 2018; 2018 Mar 8. PMID: 29588855
- Shapiro JW, Turner PE: Evolution of mutualism from parasitism in experimental virus populations. Evolution. 2018 Mar. PMID: 29380361
- Diaz KE, Remold SK, Onyiri O, Bozeman M, Raymond PA, Turner PE: Generalized Growth of Estuarine, Household and Clinical Isolates of Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Front Microbiol. 2018; 2018 Feb 27. PMID: 29599754
- Morley VJ, Turner PE: Dynamics of molecular evolution in RNA virus populations depend on sudden versus gradual environmental change. Evolution. 2017 Apr; 2017 Feb 14. PMID: 28121018
- Chan BK, Brown K, Kortright KE, Mao S, Turner PE: Extending the lifetime of antibiotics: how can phage therapy help? Future Microbiol. 2016 Sep; 2016 Aug 22. PMID: 27545690
- McDonald SM, Nelson MI, Turner PE, Patton JT: Reassortment in segmented RNA viruses: mechanisms and outcomes. Nat Rev Microbiol. 2016 Jul; 2016 May 23. PMID: 27211789
- Chan BK, Sistrom M, Wertz JE, Kortright KE, Narayan D, Turner PE: Phage selection restores antibiotic sensitivity in MDR Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Sci Rep. 2016 May 26; 2016 May 26. PMID: 27225966
- Shapiro JW, Williams ES, Turner PE: Evolution of parasitism and mutualism between filamentous phage M13 and Escherichia coli. PeerJ. 2016; 2016 May 24. PMID: 27257543
- Berg JM, Bhalla N, Bourne PE, Chalfie M, Drubin DG, Fraser JS, Greider CW, Hendricks M, Jones C, Kiley R, King S, Kirschner MW, Krumholz HM, Lehmann R, Leptin M, Pulverer B, Rosenzweig B, Spiro JE, Stebbins M, Strasser C, Swaminathan S, Turner P, Vale RD, VijayRaghavan K, Wolberger C: SCIENTIFIC COMMUNITY. Preprints for the life sciences. Science. 2016 May 20. PMID: 27199406
- Williams ES, Morales NM, Wasik BR, Brusic V, Whelan SP, Turner PE: Repeatable Population Dynamics among Vesicular Stomatitis Virus Lineages Evolved under High Co-infection. Front Microbiol. 2016; 2016 Mar 31. PMID: 27065953
- Wasik BR, Muñoz-Rojas AR, Okamoto KW, Miller-Jensen K, Turner PE: Generalized selection to overcome innate immunity selects for host breadth in an RNA virus. Evolution. 2016 Feb; 2016 Jan 20. PMID: 26882316
- Morley VJ, Sistrom M, Usme-Ciro JA, Remold SK, Turner PE: Evolution in spatially mixed host environments increases divergence for evolved fitness and intrapopulation genetic diversity in RNA viruses. Virus Evol. 2016 Jan; 2016 Jan 20. PMID: 27774292
- Sistrom M, Park D, O'Brien HE, Wang Z, Guttman DS, Townsend JP, Turner PE: Genomic and Gene-Expression Comparisons among Phage-Resistant Type-IV Pilus Mutants of Pseudomonas syringae pathovar phaseolicola. PLoS One. 2015; 2015 Dec 15. PMID: 26670219
- Morley VJ, Mendiola SY, Turner PE: Rate of novel host invasion affects adaptability of evolving RNA virus lineages. Proc Biol Sci. 2015 Aug 22. PMID: 26246544
- Walther V, Hiley CT, Shibata D, Swanton C, Turner PE, Maley CC: Can oncology recapitulate paleontology? Lessons from species extinctions. Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2015 May; 2015 Feb 17. PMID: 25687908
- Pesko K, Voigt EA, Swick A, Morley VJ, Timm C, Yin J, Turner PE: Genome rearrangement affects RNA virus adaptability on prostate cancer cells. Front Genet. 2015; 2015 Apr 1. PMID: 25883601
- Foxman EF, Storer JA, Fitzgerald ME, Wasik BR, Hou L, Zhao H, Turner PE, Pyle AM, Iwasaki A: Temperature-dependent innate defense against the common cold virus limits viral replication at warm temperature in mouse airway cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015 Jan 20; 2015 Jan 5. PMID: 25561542
- Turner PE, Williams ES, Okeke C, Cooper VS, Duffy S, Wertz JE: Antibiotic resistance correlates with transmission in plasmid evolution. Evolution. 2014 Dec; 2014 Nov 24. PMID: 25351426
- Goldhill DH, Turner PE: The evolution of life history trade-offs in viruses. Curr Opin Virol. 2014 Oct; 2014 Aug 1. PMID: 25087040
- Shapiro JW, Turner PE: The impact of transmission mode on the evolution of benefits provided by microbial symbionts. Ecol Evol. 2014 Sep; 2014 Aug 6. PMID: 25535552
- Goldhill D, Lee A, Williams ES, Turner PE: Evolvability and robustness in populations of RNA virus Φ6. Front Microbiol. 2014; 2014 Feb 5. PMID: 24550904
- Brandon Ogbunugafor C, Alto BW, Overton TM, Bhushan A, Morales NM, Turner PE: Evolution of increased survival in RNA viruses specialized on cancer-derived cells. Am Nat. 2013 May; 2013 Mar 14. PMID: 23594543
- McBride RC, Boucher N, Park DS, Turner PE, Townsend JP: Yeast response to LA virus indicates coadapted global gene expression during mycoviral infection. FEMS Yeast Res. 2013 Mar; 2013 Jan 2. PMID: 23122216
- Wasik BR, Turner PE: On the biological success of viruses. Annu Rev Microbiol. 2013; 2013 Jun 28. PMID: 23808330
- Turner PE, McBride RC, Duffy S, Montville R, Wang LS, Yang YW, Lee SJ, Kim J: Evolutionary genomics of host-use in bifurcating demes of RNA virus phi-6. BMC Evol Biol. 2012 Aug 22; 2012 Aug 22. PMID: 22913547
- Turner PE, Draghi JA, Wilpiszeski R: High-throughput analysis of growth differences among phage strains. J Microbiol Methods. 2012 Jan; 2011 Nov 12. PMID: 22101310
- Dessau M, Goldhill D, McBride R, Turner PE, Modis Y: Selective pressure causes an RNA virus to trade reproductive fitness for increased structural and thermal stability of a viral enzyme. PLoS Genet. 2012; 2012 Nov 29. PMID: 23209446
- Turner PE, Morales NM, Alto BW, Remold SK: Role of evolved host breadth in the initial emergence of an RNA virus. Evolution. 2010 Nov. PMID: 20633045
- O'Keefe KJ, Silander OK, McCreery H, Weinreich DM, Wright KM, Chao L, Edwards SV, Remold SK, Turner PE: Geographic differences in sexual reassortment in RNA phage. Evolution. 2010 Oct; 2010 Aug 19. PMID: 20500219
- Ogbunugafor CB, Basu S, Morales NM, Turner PE: Combining mathematics and empirical data to predict emergence of RNA viruses that differ in reservoir use. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2010 Jun 27. PMID: 20478887
- Ogbunugafor CB, Pease JB, Turner PE: On the possible role of robustness in the evolution of infectious diseases. Chaos. 2010 Jun. PMID: 20590337
- McBride RC, Ogbunugafor CB, Turner PE: Robustness promotes evolvability of thermotolerance in an RNA virus. BMC Evol Biol. 2008 Aug 11; 2008 Aug 11. PMID: 18694497
- Kysela DT, Turner PE: Optimal bacteriophage mutation rates for phage therapy. J Theor Biol. 2007 Dec 7; 2007 Aug 25. PMID: 17904162
- Duffy S, Burch CL, Turner PE: Evolution of host specificity drives reproductive isolation among RNA viruses. Evolution. 2007 Nov; 2007 Oct 1. PMID: 17908251
- Dennehy JJ, Abedon ST, Turner PE: Host density impacts relative fitness of bacteriophage Phi6 genotypes in structured habitats. Evolution. 2007 Nov; 2007 Aug 23. PMID: 17725627
- Dennehy JJ, Friedenberg NA, Yang YW, Turner PE: Virus population extinction via ecological traps. Ecol Lett. 2007 Mar. PMID: 17305806
- Draghi JA, Turner PE: DNA secretion and gene-level selection in bacteria. Microbiology. 2006 Sep. PMID: 16946263
- Dennehy JJ, Friedenberg NA, Holt RD, Turner PE: Viral ecology and the maintenance of novel host use. Am Nat. 2006 Mar. PMID: 16673350
- Dennehy JJ, Friedenberg NA, Yang YW, Turner PE: Bacteriophage migration via nematode vectors: host-parasite-consumer interactions in laboratory microcosms. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2006 Mar. PMID: 16517645
- Duffy S, Turner PE, Burch CL: Pleiotropic costs of niche expansion in the RNA bacteriophage phi 6. Genetics. 2006 Feb; 2005 Nov 19. PMID: 16299384
- Montville R, Froissart R, Remold SK, Tenaillon O, Turner PE: Evolution of mutational robustness in an RNA virus. PLoS Biol. 2005 Nov; 2005 Nov 1. PMID: 16248678
- Dennehy JJ, Turner PE: Reduced fecundity is the cost of cheating in RNA virus phi6. Proc Biol Sci. 2004 Nov 7. PMID: 15539353
- Froissart R, Wilke CO, Montville R, Remold SK, Chao L, Turner PE: Co-infection weakens selection against epistatic mutations in RNA viruses. Genetics. 2004 Sep. PMID: 15454523
- Turner PE: Phenotypic plasticity in bacterial plasmids. Genetics. 2004 May. PMID: 15166133
- Turner PE, Chao L: Escape from Prisoner's Dilemma in RNA phage phi6. Am Nat. 2003 Mar. PMID: 12699226
- Turner PE: Searching for the advantages of virus sex. Orig Life Evol Biosph. 2003 Feb. PMID: 12967275