Research & Publications
Effectiveness of gun seizure laws in reducing violence; Interplay of religion, spirituality and psychiatry and mental health care; outcomes of service delivery in provision of forensic mental health care
Specialized Terms: Psychiatric risk assessment; gun violence and mental health; forensic mental health care system delivery; religion, spirituality and psychiatry/mental health; sexual diversity and religion
Extensive Research Description
- Research on involuntary medication of patients being treated to restore competence to stand trial
- Editing scholarly volume on sexual diversity and the Roman Catholic Church
- Refinement of curriculum in religion, spirituality, and worldview for psychiatry residents and other health care professionals
- Participation in largest ever national study of "red flag laws" and their implementation and effects
Forensic Psychiatry; Mental Health; Psychiatry; Religion; Violence; Risk Assessment; Spirituality; Harm Reduction
- Legislative Consultation and the Forensic SpecialistNorko MA: Legislative Consultation and the Forensic Specialist, in Griffith EEH, Norko MA, Buchanan A, Baranoski MV, Zonana HV (eds): Bearing Witness to Change in Forensic Psychiatry and Psychology Practice. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, 2016
- Bearing Witness to Change in Forensic Psychiatry and Psychology PracticeGriffith EEH, Norko MA, Buchanan A, Baranoski MV, Zonana HV (eds): Bearing Witness to Change in Forensic Psychiatry and Psychology Practice. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, 2016
- HospitalizationNorko MA, Burns C, Dike C: Hospitalization, in Trestman RL, Appelbaum KL, Metzner JL: Oxford Textbook of Correctional Psychiatry. New York: Oxford University Press (2015), 141-145
- More Than a Monologue – Sexual Diversity and the Catholic Church: Inquiry Thought, and ExpressionHornbeck JP, Norko MA (eds): More Than a Monologue – Sexual Diversity and the Catholic Church: Inquiry Thought, and Expression. New York: Fordham University Press, 2014
- Gun Control Legislation in Connecticut: Effects on Persons with Mental IllnessNorko MA, Baranoski M: Gun Control Legislation in Connecticut: Effects on Persons with Mental Illness. Connecticut Law Review 46: 1609-1631, 2014
- Preventing Gun Violence Involving People with Serious Mental IllnessSwanson JW, Robertson AG, Frisman LK, Norko MA, Lin H-J, Swartz MS, Cook PJ: Preventing Gun Violence Involving People with Serious Mental Illness, in Webster DW, Vernick JS (eds): Reducing Gun Violence in America – Informing Policy with Evidence and Analysis. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2013, pp 33-51
- The Forensic UnitNorko MA, Dike CC: The Forensic Unit, in Sharfstein SS (ed): The Textbook of Hospital Psychiatry. Washington DC: American Psychiatric Press, Inc, 2008.
- The prediction of violence; detection of dangerousnessNorko MA, Baranoski MV: The prediction of violence; detection of dangerousness. Brief Treatment & Crisis Intervention 8:73-91, 2008.
- People of the Whirlwind.Norko MA: People of the Whirlwind. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law 35: 373-380, 2007.