I. Determine Clinical Objectives
Establishing clear clinical goals for the CDS implementation project is a critical foundation for success. Ideally, the CDS project will be part of a specific quality (QI) improvement project, where goals are shaped by the QI priorities. Once goals are agreed, the project team will then select specific guideline recommendations for implementation.
Categorization of clinical objectives can be helpful, for example:
- Improve patient education and empowerment
- Improve patient satisfaction with care
- Optimize decision making Prevent errors of omission/commission
- Optimize treatment of chronic conditions
- Improve documentation of care and communication