Masanori Sasaki MD, PhD
Visiting Assistant Professor of Neurology
Cell Transplantation for Spinal Cord Injury and CNS diseases
Extensive Research Description
interest is in the area of cellular transplantation to repair spinal cord
injury. My work has primarily utilized neural cells derived from adult tissues
and processed for transplantation into injured spinal cord. I developed cells
from the olfactory system called olfactory ensheathing cells (OECs) that
display unique properties that assist normal axon growth of olfactory sensory
neurons into the brain. I have also engineered adult stem cells derived from
bone marrow to hypersecrete a neurotrophic factor and has found that these
cells are neuroprotective. Collectively, my research has important clinical
implications and could lead to a clinical study in spinal cord injury patients.
- Suzuki J, Sasaki M, Harada K, Bando M, Kataoka Y, Onodera R, Mikami T, Wanibuchi M, Mikuni N, Kocsis JD, Honmou O. (2013) Bilateral cortical hyperactivity detected by fMRI associates with improved motor function following intravenous infusion of mesenchymal stem cells in a rat stroke model, Brain Res, 1497:15-22.
- Honmou O, Onodera R, Sasaki M, Waxman SG, Kocsis JD. (2012) Mesenchymal stem cells: therapeutic outlook for stroke., Trends Mol Med, 18(5):292-7.
- Sasaki M, Honmou O, Radtke C, Kocsis JD (2011) Development of a Middle Cerebral Artery Occlusion Model in the Nonhuman Primate and a Safety Study of
I.V.Infusion of Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells,
PLoS ONE, 6(10):e26577.
- Radtke C, Sasaki M, Lankford KL, Gallo V, Kocsis JD (2011) CNPase Expression in Olfactory Ensheathing Cells, J Biomed Biotechnol, 608496.
- Sasaki M, Lankford KL, Radtke C, Honmou O, KocsisJD Remyelination after olfactory ensheathing cell transplantation into diverse demyelinating environments, Exp Neurol, 229 (1): 88-98
- Sasaki M, Lankford KL, Brown RJ, Ruddle NH, Kocsis JD (2010) Focal experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in the Lewis rat induced by immunization with MOG and Intraspinal injection of VEGF, GLIA, 58(13):1523-31.
- Sasaki M, Radtke C, Tan AM, Zhao P, Hamada H, Houkin K, Honmou O, Kocsis JD (2009)
BDNF- hypersecreting human mesenchymal stem cells promote functional recovery, axonal sprouting and protection of corticospinal neurons after spinal cord injury, J Neurosci, 29(47):14932-41.
- Sasaki M, Honmou O, Kocsis JD (2009) A rat middle cerebral artery occlusion model and intravenous cellular delivery, Methods Mol Biol, 549:187-95.
- Kocsis JD, Lankford KL, Sasaki M, Radtke C (2009) Unique in vivo properties of olfactory ensheathing cells that may contribute to neural repair and protection following spinal cord
injury, Neurosci Lett, 456(3):137-42.
- Markakis EA, Sasaki M, Lankford KL, Kocsis JD (2009) Convergence of cells from the progenitor fraction of adult olfactory bulb tissue to remyelinating glia in demyelinating spinal cord
lesions, PLoS One, 4(9):e7260.