Yiqiang Cai MD, PhD
Associate Research Scientist in Medicine (Nephrology)
Genetic kidney diseases with focus on human polycystic kidney disease
Extensive Research Description
My current research is focused on the study of molecular basis of ADPKD pathogenesis. By establishing cell-based model and BAC-transgenic mouse model, we are trying to answer the following questions: 1) How are polycystin-1 and polycystin-2 trafficking to cilia regulated; 2) What is the consequence that trafficking defect of the polycystins cause in the cystogenesis/PKD pathogenesis; 3) What is the molecular basis underlying the mutations of PKD1 and PKD2 genes, 4) How is the polycystin-2 phosphorylation regulated, and 5) What is the role that regulation of polycystin-2 phosphorylation plays on the PKD pathogenesis.
- Publications (selected from total 42)
1) Fedeles SV, Tian X, Gallagher AR, Mitobe M, Nishio S, Lee SH, Cai Y, Geng L, Crews CM, Somlo S: A genetic interaction network of five genes for human polycystic kidney and liver diseases defines polycystin-1 as the central determinant of cyst formation. Nat Genet. 2011 Jun 19;43(7):639-47.
2) Yiqiang Cai: Polycystic Kidney Disease, in “Encyclopedia of Cancer”, 2nd Edition, Edited by M. Schwab, Springer (online published, 2009).
3) Yiqiang Cai: Arachidonic acid cytochrome P450 4F2 in hypertension: what can we learn from a transgenic mouse model? (Commentary), Kidney International. 2009 Jun; 75(12):1253-4.
4) Yiqiang Cai and Stefan Somlo: Too much of a good thing: does Nek8 link polycystic kidney disease and nephronophthisis? (Commentary), J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008 19(3):418-20.
5) Cai Yiqiang, Anyatonwu G, Okuhara D, Lee KB, Yu Z, Onoe T, Mei CL, Qian Q, Geng L, Witzgall R, Ehrlich BE, Somlo S. Calcium dependence of polycystin-2 channel activity is modulated by phosphorylation at Ser812. J Biol Chem. 2004, 7;279(19):19987-95.
6) Koulen P, Cai Yiqiang, Geng L, Maeda Y, Nishimura S, Witzgall R, Ehrlich BE, Somlo S., Polycystin-2 is an intracellular calcium release channel. Nat. Cell Biol., 4(3):191-197, 2002.
7) Yiqiang Cai, Yoshiko Maeda, Anna Cedzich, Vicente E. Torres, Guanqing Wu, Tomohito Hayashi, Toshio Mochizuki, Jong Hoon Park, Ralph Witzgall, and Stefan Somlo: Identification and characterization of polycystin-2, the PKD2 gene product. J Biol Chem., 274:28557-28565, 1999.