Leo M. Cooney Jr MD
Humana Foundation Professor of Medicine (Geriatrics)
Geriatric medicine; Assistance in elderly independence; Resource utilization; Transitional care models of care for nursing home residents
Dr. Leo Cooney established the program in Geriatrics at Yale, coming to this institution in 1976 as the Director of the Continuing Care Unit. This unit is now known as the Yale Acute Care for the Elderly Unit. His career at Yale has focused on assisting elderly individuals to attain the highest level of independence possible. His research interests have focused on efforts to ensure that health care resources are applied to those in most need. Along with Dr. Brandt Fries, he developed the Resource Utilization Groups, which is now used as the method of reimbursing Medicare patients in nursing homes throughout the country. He directs the utilization review efforts at Yale-New Haven Hospital, and is a past President of the American Geriatrics Society. He continues to have a very active clinical and teaching role to ensure that medical residents and students are as prepared as possible to care for the multiple problems of the frail elderly.
- Lai JM, Gill TM, Cooney LM, Bradley EH, Hawkins KA, Karlawish JH. Everyday Decision-making Ability in Older Persons with Cognitive Impairment. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2008; 16:693-696.
- Chou W, Cooney LM, van Ness P, Alore H, Gill T. Access to primary care for Medicare beneficiaries. J Am Geriatric Society 2007;55:763-768.
- Cooney LM, Kennedy GJ, Hawkins KA. Who can stay at home? Assessing the capacity to choose to live in the community. Arch Int Med 2004;164:357–360.
- Inouye SK , Bogardus ST , Baker DI, Leo–Summers L, Cooney LM. The hospital Elderly Life Program: a model of care to prevent cognitive and functional decline in hospitalized elderly patients. J Am Geriatrics Soc. 2000.48:1697–1706.
- Inouye S, Bogardus S, Charpentier P, Leo–Summers L, Acampora D, Holford TR, Cooney LM. A Clinical Trial of a Multicomponent Intervention to Prevent Delirium in Hospitalized Older Patients. The New England Journal Of Medicine. 1999;340:669–675.
- Daigneault J, Cooney LM. Shoulder Pain in Older People. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 1998. 46:1144–1151.
- Inouye SK, Acampora D, Miller RL, Fulmer R, Hurst LD, Cooney LM. The Yale Geriatric Care Program: A Model of Care to Prevent Functional Decline in Hospitalized Elderly Patients. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 1993. 41:1345–52.