Amy Marie Ahasic MD, MPH
Assistant Professor of Medicine (Pulmonary)
Yale MICU Biorepository project: Principal Investigator on this new initiative to collect clinical data and biologic specimens from a broad range of critically ill patients.
Extensive Research Description
My research interest centers around obesity and metabolic pathways in critical illness. Because of their impact on cardiac and pulmonary function, such pathways may affect risk and prognosis in critical illness. I focus on acute lung injury (ALI)/acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) and sepsis as common critical illness with systemic physiologic derangements and high morbidity and mortality. The relationship between obesity and ARDS is of particular interest. My current American Heart Association grant focuses on patient-oriented research of both phenotypic and genotypic markers relevant to metabolic pathways, including insulin-like growth factor (IGF) and adipokines, in acute lung injury.
- Tejera P, Meyer NJ, Chen F, Feng R, Zhao Y, O''Mahony DS, Li L, Sheu CC, Zhai R, Wang Z, Su L, Bajwa E, Ahasic AM, Clardy PF, Gong MN, Frank AJ, Lanken PN, Thompson BT, Christie JD, Wurfel MM, O''Keefe GE, Christiani DC. Distinct and replicable genetic risk factors for acute respiratory distress syndrome of pulmonary or extrapulmonary origin. J Med Genet. 2012 Nov; 49(11):671-80.
- Ahasic AM, Zhai R, Su L, Zhao Y, Aronis KN, Thompson BT, Mantzoros CS, Christiani DC. IGF1 and IGFBP3 in Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. Eur J Endocrinol 2012; 166(1):121-129.
- Ahasic A.M. and Christiani D.C. Occupational and Environmental Respiratory Disorders. In Occupational and Environmental Health, 6th edition, eds. Wegman D., and Levy B., Oxford University Press, New York, NY, 2010.
- Nuernberg A.M. and Christiani D.C. The Future of Occupationally Related Diffuse Lung Disease. Sem. Respir. Crit. Care. Med. 2008; 29(6):680-684.
- Nuernberg A.M., Boyce P.D., Cavallari J.M., Fang S.C., Eisen E.A., Christiani D.C.. Urinary 8-isoprostane and 8-OHdG Concentrations in Boilermakers With Welding Exposure. J. Occup. Environ. Med. 2008; 50(2):182-189.
- Abdullah F., Nuernberg A.M., and Rabinovici R.. Self-Inflicted Abdominal Stab Wounds. Injury 2003, 34(1):35-9.