Robert J Alpern MD
Ensign Professor of Medicine (Nephrology); Dean, Yale School of Medicine
epithelial physiology; membrane transport; acid-base homeostasis
Research on the regulation of kidney transport proteins has helped to define the mechanisms by which the kidney transports acid. Subsequently has focused on the mechanisms by which kidney cells sense excess acid and initiate a signaling cascade that alters the expression, cellular location, and function of many proteins in the cell, resulting in enhanced acid transport and urinary excretion.
Extensive Research Description
Dr. Alpern’s research has focused on the regulation of kidney transport proteins.
- Laghmani, K., A. Sakamoto, M. Yanagisawa, P.A. Preisig, and R.J. Alpern. A consensus sequence in the endothelin B receptor second intracellular loop is required for NHE3 activation by endothelin-1. Am. J. Physio. 288:F732-F739, 2005.
- Li, S, S Sato, X Yang, PA Preisig, RJ Alpern. Pyk2 is a pH sensor signaling acid activation of NHE3 in OKP cells. J Clin. Invest. 114:1782-1789,2004.
- Peng Y, M Amemiya, X Yang, L Fan, OW Moe, H Yin, PA Preisig, M Yanagisawa, RJ Alpern. ETB receptor activation causes exocytic insertion of NHE3 in OKP cells. Am J Physiol: Renal Physiology 280: F34-F42, 2001.
- Laghmani, K, PA Preisig, OW Moe, M Yanagisawa, RJ Alpern. Endothelin-1/endothelin-B receptor-mediated increases in NHE3 activity in chronic metabolic acidosis. J Clin Invest 107: 1563-1569, 2001.
- Yang, X, M Amemiya, Y Peng, OW Moe, PA Preisig, RJ Alpern. Acid incubation causes exocytic insertion of NHE3 in OKP cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiology 279: C410-C419, 2000.
- Ambühl PA, X Yang, Y Peng, PA Preisig, OW Moe, RJ Alpern. Glucocorticoids enhance acid activation of NHE3. J Clin Invest 103:429-435,1999.
- Peng Y, OW Moe, T-S Chu, PA Preisig, M Yanagisawa, RJ Alpern. ETB receptor activation leads to activation and phosphorylation of NHE3. Am J Physiol 276: (Cell Physiology 45): C938-C945,1999.
- Amemiya M, K Tabei, E Kusano, Y Asano, RJ Alpern. Incubation of OKP cells in low K+ media increases NHE3 activity following an early decrease in intracellular pH. Am J Physiol, 276 (Cell Physiology 45): C711-C716,1999.
- Ambühl PA, M Amemiya, PA Preisig, OW Moe, RJ Alpern. Chronic hyperosmolality increases NHE3 activity in OKP cells. J Clin Invest 101:170-177,1998.
- Yamaji Y, H Tsuganezawa, OW Moe, RJ Alpern. Intracellular acidosis activates c-Src. Am J Physiol 272 (Cell Physiology 41):C886-C893,1997.