History; History of Medicine; Public Health
History of medicine; Medical education; Professionalism; Public health; Clinical medicine; Experimental life science
Extensive Research Description
- Current research:
- A book with the working title The Quest for Authenticity in Modern Medicine.
- A study of the transformation of the hospital patient chart, 19th through 21st centuries, tentatively titled Bedside Stories: Clinical Narrative and the Grounding of Modern Medicine.
- A book-length study tentatively titled The Death of James Jackson, Jr. and the Birth of the American Clinic.
- "Translating the Body: The History of Medical Education in Southeast Asia," co-edited with Hans Pols and Michele Thompson (Singapore: National University of Singapore Press), forthcoming in spring 2017.
- "Health, Healing, and Medical Education in Southeast Asia," in Hans Pols, Michele Thompson, and John Harley Warner, eds., "Translating the Body: The History of Medical Education in Southeast Asia" (Singapore: National University of Singapore Press), with Hans Pols and Michele Thompson, forthcoming in spring 2017.
- "Making the Case for History in Medical Education," Journal of the History of Medicine and Allied Sciences 70 (2015): 623-652. (With David Jones, Jeremy Greene, and Jacalyn Duffin).
- "The Art of Medicine in an Age of Science: Reductionism, Holism, and the Doctor-Patient Relationship in the United States,1890-1960," in Nanami Suzuki, ed., Healing Alternatives: Care and Education as a Cultural Lifestyle (Osaka: National Museum of Ethnology, 2014), Senri Ethnological Reports, No. 120: 55-91.
- "The Aesthetic Grounding of Modern Medicine," (The Fielding Garrison Lecture) Bulletin of the History of Medicine, 88 (2014): 1-47.
- "Boundary Crossings in the History of Health Care," Nursing History Review 22 (2014): 1-5.
- "Remapping the History of Medicine," Health and History 15 (2013): 1-4. With Naomi Rogers.
- "The Doctor in Early Cold War America," The Lancet 381 (2013): 1452-1453.
"The Humanizing Power of Medical History: Responses to Biomedicine in the 20th-Century United States,"
Medical Humanities, forthcoming; and an earlier version: Journal of Peking University (Philosophy and Social Sciences) [in Chinese], forthcoming.
- "Dissection: Photographs of a Rite of Passage in American Medicine 1880-1930," 2009; with James M. Edmonson.
- "Locating Medical History: The Stories and Their Meanings," Baltimore and London, Johns Hopkins Univ. Press, March 2004, co-edited with Frank Huisman, paperback edition, 2006.
- "Major Problems in the History of American Medicine and Public Health," Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 2001; co-editor with Janet A. Tighe.
- "Against the Spirit of System: The French Impulse in Nineteenth-Century American Medicine," Princeton University Press, 1998. New paperback edition (Baltimore and London: Johns Hopkins Univ. Press, Fall 2003)
"The Therapeutic Perspective: Medical Practice, Knowledge, and Identity in America, 1820-1885,"
Harvard University Press, 1986; with new preface, Princeton University Press, 1997.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Warner JH: Boundary crossings in the history of health care. Nurs Hist Rev. 2014. PMID: 24032238
- Warner JH: The Doctor in early Cold War America. Lancet. 2013 Apr 27. PMID: 23630986
- Warner JH: The humanising power of medical history: responses to biomedicine in the 20th century United States. Med Humanit. 2011 Dec 1; 2011 Jul 31. PMID: 21807650
- Warner JH, Rizzolo LJ: Anatomical instruction and training for professionalism from the 19th to the 21st centuries. Clin Anat. 2006 Jul. PMID: 16617459
- Warner JH: Grand narrative and its discontents: medical history and the Social Transformation of American Medicine. J Health Polit Policy Law. 2004 Aug-Oct. PMID: 15602844