History; History of Medicine; Public Health
History of medicine; Medical education; Professionalism; Public health; Clinical medicine; Experimental life science
Extensive Research Description
Vital Signs: Image, Identity, and the Aesthetic Grounding of Modern Medicine.
A study of the transformation of the hospital patient chart, 19th through 21st centuries, tentatively titled Bedside Stories: Clinical Narrative and the Grounding of Modern Medicine.
A collection of historical essays with the working title Medicine Shows: Performance, Identity, and Professional Formation in America.
- “Health, Healing, and Medical Education in Southeast Asia,” in Hans Pols, Michele Thompson, and John Harley Warner, eds., Translating the Body: The History of Medical Education in Southeast Asia (Singapore: National University of Singapore Press), with Hans Pols and Michele Thompson, forthcoming in spring 2017.
- Translating the Body: The History of Medical Education in Southeast Asia, co-edited with Hans Pols and Michele Thompson (Singapore: National University of Singapore Press), forthcoming in spring 2017.
- “Making the Case for History in Medical Education,” Journal of the History of Medicine and Allied Sciences 70 (2015): 623-652. (With David Jones, Jeremy Greene, and Jacalyn Duffin). Chinese translation forthcoming.
- "The Art of Medicine in an Age of Science: Reductionism, Holism, and the Doctor-Patient Relationship in the United States, 1890-1960,” in Nanami Suzuki, ed., Healing Alternatives: Care and Education as a Cultural Lifestyle (Osaka: National Museum of Ethnology, 2014), Senri Ethnological Reports, No. 120: 55-91.
- “The Aesthetic Grounding of Modern Medicine” (The Fielding Garrison Lecture) Bulletin of the History of Medicine, 88 (2014): 1-47.
- “Boundary Crossings in the History of Health Care,” Nursing History Review 22 (2014): 1-5.
- “Remapping the History of Medicine,” Health and History 15 (2013): 1-4. With Naomi Rogers.
- “The Doctor in Early Cold War America,” The Lancet 381 (2013): 1452-1453.
- “The Humanizing Power of Medical History: Responses to Biomedicine in the 20th-Century United States,” Medical Humanities, forthcoming; and an earlier version: Journal of Peking University (Philosophy and Social Sciences) [in Chinese], forthcoming.
- Dissection: Photographs of a Rite of Passage in American Medicine 1880-1930, 2009; with James M. Edmonson.
- Locating Medical History: The Stories and Their Meanings, Baltimore and London, Johns Hopkins Univ. Press, March 2004, co-edited with Frank Huisman, paperback edition, 2006.
- Major Problems in the History of American Medicine and Public Health, Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 2001; co-editor with Janet A. Tighe.
- Against the Spirit of System: The French Impulse in Nineteenth-Century American Medicine, Princeton University Press, 1998. New paperback edition (Baltimore and London: Johns Hopkins Univ. Press, Fall 2003)
- The Therapeutic Perspective: Medical Practice, Knowledge, and Identity in America, 1820-1885, Harvard University Press, 1986; with new preface, Princeton University Press, 1997.