Research & Publications
Dr. Schwartz is an Associate Professor of Medicine (General Medicine) at Yale School of Medicine and of Epidemiology (Chronic Diseases) at Yale School of Public Health. He is board-certified in both Internal Medicine and Pediatrics. Dr. Schwartz is a Firm Chief on the general medicine inpatient teaching service at Yale New Haven Hospital Saint Raphael Campus, overseeing patient care and teaching activities on Verdi 5 North. He places an emphasis on patient quality and safety and the patient experience and engages in research in those realms. He directs a large quality improvement project aiming to improve patient care, patient-centered communication, and inter-professional engagement in the inpatient setting.
Globally, his focus centers around non-communicable diseases (NCDs). He is an active member of the global NCD advocacy movement. He serves on the Advisory Council of the Young Professionals Chronic Disease Network and is a member of the East African NCD Alliance post-2015 Implementation Initiative. His research focuses on improving integrated health service delivery for NCDs in Uganda. He is a co-founder, and the US-based co-Director, of the Uganda Initiative for the Integrated Management of Non-Communicable Diseases (UINCD). This multi-sectoral collaboration brings together leaders from the Ugandan Ministry of Health, academia (Yale School of Medicine and Makerere University College of Health Sciences), civil society organizations, and the health system to address the often fragmented nature of NCD service delivery and training.
Dr. Schwartz is Medical Director of the Eastern Caribbean Health Outcomes Research Network (ECHORN), a large cohort study of non-communicable diseases (PI: Dr. Marcella Nunez-Smith), based at the Yale Equity Research and Innovation Center (ERIC). Dr. Schwartz has been directing "Topics in Global Medicine" (formerly the Tropical Medicine Course) since 2010. This interdisciplinary elective course for health professions students at Yale presents a wide range of globally relevant health issues in an interactive format.
Education & Training
- Global Health Chief ResidentYale Primary Care Residency Program (2011)
- ResidentYale-New Haven Hospital (2010)
- MDUniv of Rochester School of Medicine & Dentistry (2006)
- BSCornell University (2000)
- Uganda Initiative for the Integrated Management of Non-Communicable Diseases (UINCD)Uganda 2013US-based Co-Director. The mission of UINCD is to build capacity in the realms of prevention, care, training, and research to enable the provision of effective and integrated care along the NCD management spectrum.
- Eastern Caribbean Health Outcomes Research Network (ECHORN)Barbados; Puerto Rico; Trinidad and Tobago; U.S. Virgin Islands 2012Medical Director
Honors & Recognition
|Yale Medicine Winner
|Yale Safety, Quality, and Patient Experience Conference
|Speaker of the Year
|SUNY Downstate Medical Center Global Health Elective
|Doran J. Stevens Prize
|University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
|Gold Humanism Honor Society
|Alpha Omega Alpha