External At-Cost Training
The Institute offers a variety of online and in-person courses on quality improvement and patient safety including Lean for Healthcare, Lean Sigma Green Belt, and Improving Patient Safety with Human Factors Methods.
The Center offers an in-person patient safety leadership training and certification course as well as courses in TeamSTEPPS (Strategies and Tools to Enhance Performance and Patient Safety).
Intermountain Healthcare offers in-person introductory and advanced training courses in quality improvement designed for healthcare professionals.
The Center offers in-person and in-person/webinar hybrid courses in Rapid Cycle Improvement, Intermediate Improvement Science, and Advanced Improvement Methods.
The American Society for Quality offers several courses in quality improvement covering topics such as Lean and Lean Six Sigma for healthcare professionals. Courses are offered in-person, online, or as an in-person/online hybrid.
Villanova University offers an online Master Certificate in Six Sigma-Healthcare. The Master Certificate includes three required courses: Six Sigma Green Belt – Healthcare, Lean Six Sigma – Healthcare, and Lean Six Sigma Black Belt – Healthcare.
Emory University offers certificates in the Lean Six Sigma series. Courses are offered in-person, online, or as an in-person/online hybrid.
The University of Michigan offers in-person Lean Healthcare courses and an online Six Sigma Green Belt healthcare course.
The University of North Carolina-Wilmington offers an online Lean Six Sigma Healthcare Black Belt Certification program. Participants can elect to enroll in the full certification program, which encompasses the yellow, green and black belt certifications, or take each course separately.
External No-Cost Training
The Duke University Medical Center, Department of Community and Family Medicine offers free online modules in patient safety and quality improvement. Modules cover quality improvement and patient safety topics such as chart audits, the culture of safety, and the evolution of quality and safety in healthcare.
The IHI Open School offers online courses in patient safety, improvement capability, quality, cost, and value, person- and family-centered care, and triple aim for populations and leadership. Courses are free for students, residents and professors.
The IHI Open School offers a basic certificate in quality and safety. Students must complete a series of courses to obtain the certificate. In addition the IHI Open School offers a practicum certificate. To obtain this certificate students must complete the improvement capability coursework and a quality improvement project at their home institution.
The Society of Hospital Medicine (SHM) offers online courses on a variety of quality improvement and patient safety topics. Courses are free for members and low cost for non-members. Courses cover topics such as quality improvement methods, patient safety tools, the use of data in quality improvement, teamwork and communication, and organization knowledge and leadership.
Residencies and Fellowships
Below is a selection of quality improvement and patient safety training programs, residencies and fellowships. These resources are meant to provide examples of programs that exist outside of the Yale New Haven Health System. The list is not exhaustive. Please visit the program’s website for more information about availability and cost.
- Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality at Johns Hopkins Medicine Patient Safety and Quality Leadership Academy
- Center for Healthcare Improvement and Patient Safety Fellowship at the University of Pennsylvania
- Department of Veterans Affairs Interprofessional Fellowship Program in Patient Safety
- Department of Veterans Affairs Quality Scholars Program
- Greater New York Health Association Clinical Quality Fellowship
- Harvard University Fellowship in Patient Safety and Quality
- James M. Anderson Center for Health Systems Excellence Quality Scholars Program at Cincinnati Children’s
- Jefferson College of Population Health Healthcare Quality and Safety Master of Science and Graduate Certificate
- Kaiser Permanente Northern California Patient Safety Fellowship
- Kenneth and JoAnn G. Wellner Fellowship in Emergency Department Safety and Quality
- National Clinician Scholars Program
- Nationwide Children’s Clinical Fellowship in Quality and Safety Leadership
- United Hospital Fund Clinical Quality Fellowship
- University of Florida – Jacksonville Patient Safety Fellowship