- In order to gain access to the confocal facility and training, investigators must contact the director of the facility, Dr. Michael H. Nathanson, or Technical Director, Al Mennone.
- Instruments cannot be removed from the lab at any time, except with staff authorization.
- Users of the facility should not store samples, solutions, or other materials within the facility unless authorized, and if so only in designated areas. Any sample or solution left unlabeled will be discarded.
- The staff is happy to provide users with instructions for the handling and cleaning of instruments and specimen handling in a safe manner.
- Spills need to be cleaned immediately and reported for further technical care. Individuals who do not report spills will not be able to use the facility again.
- Any slides with oil may not be used on microscopes with dry and water lenses.
- Any oil getting on a non-oil objective must be cleaned immediately with ethanol and reported to the facility manager.
- At the end of each session, users must clean the lenses used. Instructions for lens and specimen cleaning are posted nearby the microscopes.
- Microscope bookings are made through schedulebook.com.
- Individuals working with live cells/tissue are allowed four hour time slots during work hours (8:00 am - 6:00 pm). This is limited to the 2 such slots per microscope per week. This applies to each lab, not individual.
- All others using fixed cells/tissue may sign up for no more than 2 hour time slots. This is limited to four such slots per microscope per week, and again that is per lab.
- There is no limit to usage after 6:00 pm and on weekends.
Cancellation of a slot has to be done at least 24hrs in advance to provide others the opportunity to use it. A slot that has not been cancelled on time or used despite booking will be billed as if it has been used.
- Training on confocal microscopes is provided free of charge to investigators with the permission of the Director. Investigators are welcome to bring their samples during these sessions.
- Training's are performed by the staff of the facility only, unless with special authorization.
- For more information on training, please contact Al Mennone.
- Users are not allowed to download or install software on any of the computers without asking the staff. These computers are available exclusively for imaging samples, analysis and 3-4 dimensional reconstructions of pictures.
- Users should back-up their files on CD or other storage mediums, and delete their files from hard disks. Hard disks will be cleaned up on a regular basis.