Dr. Langhan is interested in performing research to improve the safety of acutely ill children and develop objective measurements of illness.
Extensive Research Description
I plan to devote my academic career to applying new, noninvasive technologies to the clinical problems seen acutely in children by designing and executing carefully planned patient-oriented research. During the past several years I have been able to successfully complete several research projects using new technologies in the pediatric emergency department such as capnography and portable spirometry. Furthermore, I have been able to document that capnography is not being utilized to its full potential in both the emergency and critical care settings. My goal is to continue patient oriented research using noninvasive technologies that provide us with objective patient assessment and can be used to make timely clinical decisions, improve patient safety and reduce medical costs.
- Can end-tidal carbon dioxide monitoring reduce the frequency of hypoxia during moderate sedation with ketamine in children?
- Identifying the barriers and facilitators to the implementation of new technology in acute care areas
- A qualitative study regarding providers perceptions on capnography use during moderate sedation
- Evaluating trainees' ability to normally ventilate children via bag-valve mask ventilation through capnography
- Assessing the use of capnography during critical events in the Emergency Department
- Thornton M, Langhan ML, Chen L. Neonatal Seizures: Soothing a Burning Topic. Pediatric Emergency Care. 2013; 29(10): 1107-1110.
- Becker H, Langhan M. Capnography in the Pediatric Emergency Department: Clinical Applications. Pediatric Emergency Medicine Practice 2013; 10(6): 1-26.
- Tiyyagura G, Arnold L, Cone D, Langhan M. Pediatric Anaphylaxis in the prehospital setting. Prehospital Emergency Care, 2014 Jan-Mar;18(1):46-51.
- Langhan ML. Acute Alcohol Intoxication in Adolescents: Frequency of Respiratory Depression. The Journal of Emergency Medicine, 2013; 44(6): 1063-9.
- Langhan ML, Mallory M, Hertzog J, Lowrie L, Cravero JP. Physiologic Monitoring Practices during Pediatric Procedural Sedation: A Report from the Pediatric Sedation Research Consortium. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine. In press. Epub Sep
- Langhan ML, Auerbach M, Smith A, Chen L. Improving Detection of Endotracheal Tube Dislodgement by Pediatric Residents with Capnography: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of Pediatrics, 2012; 160(6): 1009-1014.
- Riera A, Hsiao A, Langhan ML, Goodman R, Chen L. Diagnosis of Intussusception by Physician Novice Sonographers in the Emergency Department. Annals of Emergency Medicine, 2012; 60(3):264-8.
- Langhan ML, Ching K, Northrup V, Alletag M, Kadia P, Santucci K, Chen L. A Randomized Controlled Trial of Capnography in the Correction of Simulated Endotracheal Tube Dislodgement. Academic Emergency Medicine. 2011; 18(6): 590-6.
- Riera A, Langhan M, Northrup V, Santucci K, Chen L. Remember the saphenous: ultrasound evaluation and intravenous site selection of peripheral veins in young children. Pediatric Emergency Care. 2011; 27(12):1121-5.
- Langhan ML, Chen L, Marshall C, Santucci KA. Detection of Hypoventilation by Capnography and its Association with Hypoxia in Children Undergoing Sedation with Ketamine. Pediatric Emergency Care 2011; 27(5): 394-7.
- Arnold DH, Spiro DM, Langhan ML. Chapter 116: Wheezing in infants and children. Tintinalli’s Emergency Medicine,. 7th ed., 2010. McGraw-Hill, New York. In press.
- Langhan ML, Spiro DM. Portable Spirometry During Acute Exacerbations of Asthma in a Pediatric Emergency Department. Journal of Asthma 2009; 46(2): 122-125.
- Langhan ML (2009) Continuous End-Tidal Carbon Dioxide Monitoring in Pediatric Intensive Care Units, Journal of Critical Care, 2009; 24(2): 227-30.
- Langhan ML (2008) The 2007-2008 Photo Competition Award Winner: Melissa Langhan, MD: A Painful Scalp Rash: Cutaneous Myiasis Secondary to New World Screwworm., Pediatric Emergency Care, 24(7)502-4, Published
- Langhan M, Zonfrillo M, Spiro D (2008) Quantitative End-Tidal Carbon Dioxide in Acute Exacerbations of Asthma, Journal of Pediatrics, 152(6)829-32, Published
- Langhan ML, Chen L (2008) Current Utilization of Continuous End-Tidal Carbon Dioxide Monitoring in Pediatric Emergency Departments, Pediatric Emergency Care, 24(4)211-3, Published
- L Chen (2007) 15-year-old Female with Generalized Edema., National Conference and Exhibition, American Academy of Pediatrics