Anatomy; Anthropology, Education, Sociology and Social Phenomena
Our research is clinical and translational. We use two resources for most projects. One is an osteological collection of over 3,000 human skeleton, housed in the Cleveland Museum of Natural History. It is the largest, well-documented osteological collection in the world. The second resource is a library of over 800,000 x-rays that were obtained in Cleveland between 1925 and 1950, demonstrating normal growth in children. This resource is sampled through a dedicated server at Case Western Reserve University.
Extensive Research Description
Current Clinical Research Studies-
-Skeletal Maturity Determination in children using x-rays of the foot and proximal humerus.
-Determining the ideal approach for measuring femoral anteversion intra-operatively.
-Predicting forearm fracture modeling and remodeling in children and adolescents.
-Characterizing Pelvic Incidence using an osteological collection.
-Determining the natural history of Trapezial Arthritis.
-Determining the risk of contralateral Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis following Unilateral Presentation.
Current Basic/Translational Science Studies-
Current Clinical Trials-
- Gillespie, R.J., Levine, A., Fitzgerald, S.J., Kolaczko, J., DeMaio, M., Marcus, R.E., Cooperman, D.R.: Gender differences in the anatomy of the distal femur. J Bone Joint Surg. Vol 93B, No 3, p 357-363, March 2011.
- Liu, R.W., Toogood, P., Hart, D.E., Davy, D.T., Cooperman, D.R.: The Effect of Varus and Valgus Osteotomies on Femoral Version. J. Pediatr Orthop. Vol 29, #7, p 666-675, Oct/Nov 2009.
- Goyal, K., Skalak, A.S., Marcus, R. E., Vallier, H.A., Cooperman, D.R.: Analysis of Anatomic Tibial Plate Fit on Normal Adults. Clin. Ortho. and R. R. 461, 245-257, 2007.
- Cooperman, D.R., Janke, B.E., Gilmore, A., Latimer, B.M., Brinker, M.R., Thompson, G.H.: A Three-Dimensional Study of Calcaneonavicular Coalitions. J. of Peds. Ortho., 21: 648-651, 2001.
- Goodman, D.A., Feighan, J.E., Smith, A.D., Latimer, B., Buly, R.L., Cooperman, D.R.: Subclinical Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis: Relationship to Osteoarthritis of the Hip.: J. Bone and Joint Surgery, 79-A, #10: 1489-1497, October 1997.
- Cooperman, D.R., Charles, L.M., Pathria, M., Latimer, B., Thompson, G.H.: Post-Mortem Description of Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis. J. Bone and Joint Surgery. 74-B, #4: 595-599, 1992.
- Cooperman, D.R., Bartucci, E., Dietrick, E., Miller, E.A.: Hip Dislocation in Spastic Cerebral Palsy Long Term Consequences. J. of Ped. Ortho., 7: 268 276, 1987.
- Stulberg, D.S., Cooperman, D.R., Wallensten, R.: The Natural History of Legg Calve Perthes Disease. The J. Bone and Joint Surgery, 63 A: 1095 1108, September 1981.
- Cooperman, D.R., Wallensten, R., Stulberg, D.S.: The Consequences of Avascular Necrosis in Congenitally Dislocated Hips: A Study of Twenty five Patients Followed Thirty nine Years. J. Bone and Joint Surgery, 62 A: 247 258, March 1980.
- Cooperman, D.R., Spiegel, P.G., and Laros, G.S.: Tibial Fractures Involving the Ankle in Children. The So called Triplane Epiphyseal Fracture. J. Bone and Joint Surgery, 60 A: 1040 1046, December 1978.
Calcaneal Scoring as an Adjunct to Modified Oxford Hip Scores: Prediction of Contralateral Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis
Nicolson AD, Huez CM, Sanders JO, Liu RW, Cooperman DR. J Pediatr Orthop. 2016 Mar;36 (2) p 132-8
Validity and Clinical Consequences of a Rotational Mechanism for Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis
Liu RW, Fraley SM, Morris Wz, Cooperman DR. J Pediatr Orthop. 2016 April/May; 36 (3): p 239-246
Capital Femoral Growth Plate Extension Predicts Cam Morphology in a Longitudinal Radiographic Study
Morris WZ, Weinberg DS, Gebhart JJ, Cooperman DR, Liu RW. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 2016 May; 98 (10): 805-812
Anatomic Investigation of Commonly Used Landmarks for Evaluating Rotation During Forearm Fracture Reduction
Weinberg DS, Park PJ, Boden BA, Malone KJ, Cooperman DR, Liu RW. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 2016 July 98: p 1103-1112
Longitudinal Radiographic Behavior of Accessory Navicular in Pediatric Patients.
Knapik DM, Guraya SS, Conry KT, Cooperman DR, Liu RW. J Child Orthop. 2016 Dec; 10 (6) p 685-689
Clavicle Fractures are Associated with Arthritis of the Glenohumeral Joint in a Large Osteological Collection
Weinberg DS, Vallier HA, Gaumer GA, Cooperman DR, Liu RW. J Orthop Trauma 2016 Nov: 30 (11) p 605-611
Axial and Appendicular Body Proportions for Evaluation of Limb and Trunk Asymmetry
Weinberg DS, Liu RW, Li SQ, Sanders JO, Cooperman DR. Acta Orthop 2016 Dec 21 p1-7