Dengue; Epidemiology; Leptospirosis; Urban Health; Global Health; Meningitis, Bacterial; Infectious Disease Medicine
Public Health Interests
Epidemiology Methods; Infectious Disease Transmission; Social inequalities; Zoonosis
CPIRT - Pulmonary Infection Research and Treatment
Research SummaryDr. Ko’s research centers on the health problems that have emerged as a consequence of rapid urbanization and social inequity. He coordinates a research and training program on urban slum health in Brazil and conducts prospective cohort studies on leptospirosis, dengue, meningitis and respiratory infections. His research combines multidisciplinary epidemiology, ecology and translational research-based approaches to identify prevention and control strategies that can be implemented in slum communities. More recently, Dr. Ko and his team has mobilized the public health research capacity at their site in the city of Salvador to investigate the on-going outbreak of Zika virus infection and microcephaly.
Specialized Terms: Urban slum health, Leptospirosis; Dengue; Bacterial meningitis; Vaccine preventable diseases; Zika viral infections
Extensive Research Description
- Disease determinants for urban leptospirosis
- Rapid serodiagnostic test for leptospirosis
- Natural history of urban leptospirosis
- Transmission of drug-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae in Brazil
- Genome-level protein microarray serodiagnostic antigen discovery in leptospirosis
- Fogarty International Clinical Research Fellows Program: Burden of leptospirosis in slum communities
- A novel flagellar sheath protein, FcpA, determines filament coiling, translational motility and virulence for the Leptospira spirochete Mol Microbiol. 2016. doi: 10.1111/mmi.13403
- Leptospira: The dawn of the molecular genetics era for an emerging zoonotic pathogen Nature Rev Microbiol. 2009;7(10)736-47.
- Zika Virus Infection and Stillbirths: A Case of Hydrops Fetalis, Hydranencephaly and Fetal Demise PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2016 Feb 25;10(2):e0004517. doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0004517
- Ocular Findings in Infants with Microcephaly Associated with Presumed Zika Virus Congenital Infection in Salvador, Brazil JAMA Ophthalmol. 2016 Feb 9. doi: 10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2016.0267
- Spatiotemporal determinants of urban leptospirosis transmission: Four-year prospective cohort study of slum residents in Brazil PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2016 Jan 15;10(1):e0004275. doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0004275.
- Global Morbidity and Mortality of Leptospirosis: A Systematic Review. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2015 September; 9(9): e0003898.
- Urban epidemic of severe Leptospirosis in Brazil Lancet 1999;354:820-825