My research has centered on evaluating the use of evidence-based medicine on the diagnosis and management of patients with cardiovascular disease. I have sought to identify areas in clinical medicine with significant variation in care, use various methodologies to obtain and analyze the different strategies and outcomes, and provide a sound base of evidence on which to recommend clinical decisions. The methodologies include primary data collection, secondary data analysis, synthesis of results of various studies into clinically useful forms such as meta-analyses and cost-effectiveness analysis, qualitative studies, establishing clinical practice guidelines and data standards, and promoting quality assurance and improvement.
Extensive Research Description
Current projects include evaluating differences in the treatment and outcome of patients with myocardial infarction among the US, the UK, and Sweden, designing ways to evaluate hospital performance in treating patients with acute myocardial infarction through use of the electronic health record, and establishing quality performance standards for noninvasive cardiac imaging.
- McNamara RL, Chung S, Jernberg T, Holmes D, Roe M, Timmis A, James S, Deanfield J, Fonorow G, Peterson E, Jeppsson A, Hemmingway H. International comparisons of the management of patients with non-ST segment elevation acute myocardial infarction in the Un
- McNamara RL. Cardiovascular registry research comes of age. Heart 2010:96:908-910
- Estes NA 3rd, Halperin JL, Calkins H, Ezekowitz MD, Gitman P, Go AS, McNamara RL, Messer JV, Ritchie JL, Romeo SJ, Waldo AL, Wyse DG. ACC/AHA/Physician Consortium 2008 clinical performance measures for adults with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation or atrial
- McNamara RL, Herrin J, Wang Y, Curtis J, Bradley EH, Magid DJ, Rathore S, Nallamothu BK, Peterson E, Blaney M, Frederick P, Krumholz HM. Impact of Delay in Door-to-Needle Time on Mortality in Patients with ST-Segment Myocardial Infarction. Am J of Cardiol
- McNamara RL, Herrin J, Bradley EH, Portnay EL, Curtis J, Wang Y, Magid D, Blaney M, Krumholz HM. Hospital Improvement in Time to Reperfusion in Patients with Acute Myocardial Infarction, 1999-2002. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006;47:45-47.
- Douglas P, Iskandrian AE, Krumholz HM, Gillam L, Hendel R Jollis J, Peterson E, Chen J, Masoudi F, Mohler E, McNamara RL, Patel M, Spertus J. Achieving Quality in Cardiovascular Imaging: Proceedings From the American College of Cardiology–Duke University
- Bradley EH, Herrin J, Wang Y, Barton BA, Webster TR, Mattera JA, Roumanis SA, Curtis JP, Nallamathou BK, Magid DJ, McNamara RL, Parkosewich J, Loeb JM, Krumholz HM. Reducing door-to-balloon times in patients with ST segment elevation myocardial infarction