Dr. Erica S. Spatz, MD, MHS is a clinical investigator at the Center for Outcomes Research and Evaluation (CORE). She is an alumna of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Clinical Scholars Program and is rigorously trained in health services research, epidemiology, biostatistics, community-based participatory research, dissemination and implementation science, and mixed qualitative-quantitative research. Dr. Spatz is currently funded by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) K12 Career Development Award in Patient Centered Outcomes Research.
Her work aims to improve cardiovascular outcomes by: 1. increasing patient engagement in shared decision making; 2. advancing more precision-based approaches to diagnosis, risk prediction and treatment; and 3. working with the community to improve cardiovascular health and reduce health disparities. As examples of this work, she is funded by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) to develop a national quality measure of informed consent for elective procedures. Dr. Spatz is also grant-funded to investigate heterogeneity in diseases like hypertension and myocardial infarction, applying mixed methods and advanced analytics to identify diverse phenotypes; the goal is to develop a more nuanced understanding of these conditions and to advance more personalized approaches to diagnosis and management. Her work has appeared in JAMA, JAMA Cardiology, and Circulation. She is a co-founder and Board Member of Project-Access New Haven, and is currently active in developing an eConsult model between community health centers and specialty physicians.
Extensive Research Description
- Spatz ES, Phipps MS, Wang OJ, Lagarde S, Curry L, Lucas G, Rosenthal MS. Health Services Research. February 2012. 47(1pt2): 344-362.
- Curry LA, Spatz E, Cherlin E, Thompson JW, Berg D, Ting HH, Decker C, Krumholz HM, Bradley EH. Ann Intern Med. 2011;154:384-390.
- Spatz ES, Krumholz HM, Moulton BW. JAMA. 2016;315(19):2063-2064. doi:10.1001/JAMA.2016.3070
- Spatz ES, Curry LA, Masoudi, Zhou S, Strait KM, Gross CP, Curtis JP, Lansky AJ, Soares Barreto-Filho JA, Lampropulos JF, Bueno H, Chaudhry SI, D'Onofrio G, Safdar B, Dreyer RP, Murugiah K, Spertus JA, Krumholz HM.Circulation. 2015 Nov 3;132(18):1710-8.
- Spatz ES, Beckman AL, Wang Y, Desai NR, Krumholz HM. JAMA Cardiology. 2016;1(3):255-265.